Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you all see a problem with a run to PEK

Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Have 10 year visa and wanting to fly MR from the US back to the US with a 3.5-4 hour turn. Usual problems with irrops etc., but that could happen anywhere. Familiar with the Chinese transfer procedure, and don't think my visa situation will be any problem. But any of you see an issue? Could easily stay over night if need be. Thanks for any advice/thoughts.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Not really a lot of information here to evaluate. But, the time seems adequate, barring irrops, which, as you state, are unpredictable. Is the same plane used for the return? If so, might mitigate late arrivals somewhat.
Assuming that the ten year visa is for China, not yet expired, multiple entry if used before, and in a US passport not about to expire, no obvious problems.

This seems straightforward. What is it about your visa situation that causes you concern?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Hi Rens
I guess the thing is I "think" I have all aspects sorted but just wondered if I was missing anything that collective experience saw. Done lots of MRs to lots of places, but not here on this visa type. Thanks for the response, and sounds like no worries.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PEK tends to be subject to delays caused by weather and ATC restrictions due to frequent military exercises that close the airspace.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by flymetokix
Have 10 year visa and wanting to fly MR from the US back to the US with a 3.5-4 hour turn. Usual problems with irrops etc., but that could happen anywhere. Familiar with the Chinese transfer procedure, and don't think my visa situation will be any problem. But any of you see an issue? Could easily stay over night if need be. Thanks for any advice/thoughts.
So for a 3.5-4 hour layover u obviously do not leave the airport anyway, therefore u won't need a visa at all as long as u stay airside / in Transit AND (very important, too!) <24 hrs.

I do have a couple of upcoming MR with turns in PEK as well and found this information in various forum discussions, so please do tell me if I'm wrong.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by alp67
So for a 3.5-4 hour layover u obviously do not leave the airport anyway, therefore u won't need a visa at all as long as u stay airside / in Transit AND (very important, too!) <24 hrs.

I do have a couple of upcoming MR with turns in PEK as well and found this information in various forum discussions, so please do tell me if I'm wrong.
Only if transiting to a separate country! XXX-PEK-XXX is no go while XXX-PEK-YYY would be ok!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

With a 10 year multiple entry visa (which I have) it was my impression that none of the 24 hour stuff applied .... for instance the time restriction (obviously) and then the restriction of entering via country A but departing via B. While the 24twov is a "convenience" for transiting passengers, I have been working under the assumption that a real multiple entry visa allows one to come and go (subject to a per trip length of 30 days) as one pleases for the validity period of the visa. Is this incorrect ?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
You are correct. If you have the 10 year China visa, you can come and go as you please.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks jbeckett for that confirm. I think i am good to go.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

You're wrong, you need to be going on to another country to be eligible for the visa waiver program. USA-PEK-USA does not meet those requirements.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
You're wrong, you need to be going on to another country to be eligible for the visa waiver program. USA-PEK-USA does not meet those requirements.
THX for ur reply. But:
Isn't it the rule just for the 72 h visa-waver programm?

Does this apply to a layover (< 24 h)?
I'm not going landside, just transitting, carry-on luggage only... So there should be no immigration at all or am I wrong again? I have never been to PEK yet.

In case it does apply to a layover as well do u or anybody else know if following would work?

XXX-KUL-PEK-KUL-XXX

a)
inbound (for visa purposes is from KUL; but originating from XXX)
outbound final destination will be XXX via KUL

b)
in case a) doesn't work
I have a second (full-flex one-way ) ticket to a different country PEK-YYY will I be able to show this when transiting but actually fly the other one?

If your answers will be NO to a) and b) I still have option c):

Getting a multiple-entry Visa

Last edited by alp67; Aug 31, 2016 at 2:26 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
THX for ur reply. But:
Isn't it the rule just for the 72 h visa-waver programm?

Does this apply to a layover (< 24 h)?
I'm not going landside, just transitting, carry-on luggage only... So there should be no immigration at all or am I wrong again? I have never been to PEK yet.

In case it does apply to a layover as well do u or anybody else know if following would work?

XXX-KUL-PEK-KUL-XXX

a)
inbound (for visa purposes is from KUL; but originating from XXX)
outbound final destination will be XXX via KUL

b)
in case a) doesn't work
I have a second (full-flex one-way ) ticket to a different country PEK-YYY will I be able to show this when transiting but actually fly the other one?

If your answers will be NO to a) and b) I still have option c):

Getting a multiple-entry Visa
To be eligible for the 72 hour visa waiver program, you have to be transiting to another country then you came from, otherwise I believe that makes PEK your destination. In your proposed itinerary, PEK is your "destination" even if you're only there for an hour or two and never leave the airport, so that won't make you eligible.

In regards to having a fully flex ticket to somewhere else, that has been discussed here as a workaround. I've never done any of this, so someone else would have to comment, but I believe that's how it works.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
To be eligible for the 72 hour visa waiver program, you have to be transiting to another country then you came from, otherwise I believe that makes PEK your destination. In your proposed itinerary, PEK is your "destination" even if you're only there for an hour or two and never leave the airport, so that won't make you eligible.

In regards to having a fully flex ticket to somewhere else, that has been discussed here as a workaround. I've never done any of this, so someone else would have to comment, but I believe that's how it works.
THX^, appreciate your immediate reply! Gonna search the forum for the workaround, thx for the hint, too.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:16 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Also, consider this. The plane taking you to BJS might not necessarily be the same plane taking you back to ORD. It might be used for the other flight to DFW.

Having said that, I avoid having to transit through the PRC at all cost. Military can take over control of the airspace as needed. And when they do....good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.