Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Aa: Lax/sfo-akl $212 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Aa: Lax/sfo-akl $212 rt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
My God ... the Qantas 747 economy seats .. when the person in front of you reclines .. the seat is practically in your lap. It is insane. I'm a normal size 150 pound guy and I was limping off the plane 😂 Maybe you got lucky and are flying the A380 from LAX instead of the 747 from SFO
Eek. That is not inspiring. I've got this around the corner. Some schedule changes are forcing me to come back earlier than planned (I'll have to do an award to return, or not go at all.) I've toyed with not going at all, and the above doesn't inspire....
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by danielm
Eek. That is not inspiring. I've got this around the corner. Some schedule changes are forcing me to come back earlier than planned (I'll have to do an award to return, or not go at all.) I've toyed with not going at all, and the above doesn't inspire....
But Kiwis are incredibly nice people, everybody speaks English obviously, I'm not sure if white people or Asian is the biggest demographic there .. lots and lots of asians , Which also means there was a lot Japanese and Korean restaurants everywhere (not a problem for me ;-))

Are you traveling alone? How many days does your new schedule have you in NZ for? It is middle earth 🌏! So I'm glad we went. We had 8 nights in NZ in total.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:52 am

But Kiwis are incredibly nice people, everybody speaks English obviously, I'm not sure if white people or Asian is the biggest demographic there .. lots and lots of asians , Which also means there was a lot Japanese and Korean restaurants everywhere (not a problem for me ;-))

Are you traveling alone? How many days does your new schedule have you in NZ for? It is middle earth 🌏! So I'm glad we went. We had 8 nights in NZ in total.
Yep, travelling alone. And it doesn't allow for much. Land at 6am in Brisbane. Leave Brisbane at 6pm, arrive in NZ. Spend the night in Auckland. Spend the following day in Auckland, and catch an award flight out the next evening.

Normally, that would be fine with me, but the only award flight that gets me back in time is Air Taihiti in Y - non-OW partner, therefore no lounge access either.

Never been to OZ or NZ, so 12 hours in one and 18 in another sounds like better than nothing...but I'm wavering. Any insight?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AA: EXP / AS:MVP75k / Hilton: Gold / Marriott Gold
I'm taking this flight with QF from SFO to AKL with a 10 hour layover in SYD. Has anyone had any luck getting an earlier standby flight? I'm currently scheduled to arrive in AKL around 11:30pm
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by izzy84
Hi, I am sorry to ask this question if it has already been answered. I am flying to new zealand soon on this fare i booked in April. I am star alliance gold and first time using oneworld in years. I am trying to figure out the best way to get the most miles from this trip.

My flight is Qantas codeshare and AA metal direct to Auckland from LAX. I have a British Airways number from years ago, but I am hearing that maybe I should get an Alaska number for this trip. Which airline should I use to get the most miles out of this trip. Any help is greatly appreciated
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

If you scroll back in this thread a bit, it appears there's disagreement as to whether AS would use the AA rates or the QF rates. As noted, you'd be happier if it was QF.

For BA, it would be the QF rates; apparently you have to go to their "calculator" and provide the flight info to learn the Tier Points.

So, you can look them up and see which works better for you given your fare class etc, keeping in mind that AS miles vs BA Avios is a bit of an apples-vs-oranges comparison, given the difference in the way you redeem them.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:00 am

So we found out, New Zealand is more Motor Lodges and Motels. Though there is a Crowne Plaza downtown. Imho I would not return to Auckland, not much to do. But we rented a car and drove to Matamata (Hobbiton) and Rotorua which is about 3 hours away - I highly recommend going here for a few days.

My God ... the Qantas 747 economy seats .. when the person in front of you reclines .. the seat is practically in your lap. It is insane. I'm a normal size 150 pound guy and I was limping off the plane 😂 Maybe you got lucky and are flying the A380 from LAX instead of the 747 from SFO
Thanks for feedback - I'll rearrange my plans and spend a day in AKL, was able to book Hilton with points for a day. Glad I booked the A380 on my return
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Taking off next week for 10 days, quite excited!
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by maudline9
Thanks for feedback - I'll rearrange my plans and spend a day in AKL, was able to book Hilton with points for a day. Glad I booked the A380 on my return
A380 is definitely the way to go. It's hard to overemphasize just how loud, cramped and dated the 747s are in comparison. The 747s really don't handle turbulence as well as most modern planes either.

Chilling in Auckland now and springtime here couldn't be more beautiful
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by mster
A380 is definitely the way to go. It's hard to overemphasize just how loud, cramped and dated the 747s are in comparison. The 747s really don't handle turbulence as well as most modern planes either.

Chilling in Auckland now and springtime here couldn't be more beautiful
I had a fine time on my 747. I'm sure it could have been better, but overall, it wasn't so bad (so take heart, all those who are on 747s!)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I flew on QF 747 SFO-SYD-AKL end of July-beginning of August. Flights were very nice, great crew, decent food. Y seats are Y seats, but seat pitch was fine.

There's an airport bus direct to downtown Auckland that works well. There are hotel choices within walking distance of the bus stops. Auckland is a great city, even for a day or two.

I spent two weeks traveling all over, ended up in Queenstown. Great.

If you have the tickets, GO! My Alaska account was credited quickly, essentially made this a free flight.

Cheers,

Doc
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AA: EXP / AS:MVP75k / Hilton: Gold / Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jelanizarathustra
I'm taking this flight with QF from SFO to AKL with a 10 hour layover in SYD. Has anyone had any luck getting an earlier standby flight? I'm currently scheduled to arrive in AKL around 11:30pm
If anyone was wondering, SYD-AKL flights on Qantas are so incredibly full there was no way I could get an earlier flights without paying for another Y ticket at $500AUD. The 10 hours went by fast though with the Qantas being exceptional.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm in the middle of a 10 day trip right now. Have been to NZ a few times before. My best tour ever, from Queenstown two days ago, was to Milford Sound and Fiordland National Park which was 12.5 hours long by bus and included the Milford Sound cruise - amazing mountains and snow is still around. Have Auckland, Queenstown and Milford Sound/Fiordland National Park photos on my website linked below and will be adding as I go along. Meeting FTers I know in Christchurch and Wellington.

Tom at the top of the Christchurch Gondola
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by tom911
I'm in the middle of a 10 day trip right now. Have been to NZ a few times before. My best tour ever, from Queenstown two days ago, was to Milford Sound and Fiordland National Park which was 12.5 hours long by bus and included the Milford Sound cruise - amazing mountains and snow is still around. Have Auckland, Queenstown and Milford Sound/Fiordland National Park photos on my website linked below and will be adding as I go along. Meeting FTers I know in Christchurch and Wellington.

Tom at the top of the Christchurch Gondola
I took the Milford Sound tour in winter with fresh snow, and the views were spectacular.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:40 pm

I just did the outbound LAX to AKL, had dinner at the Qantas first lounge, food was amazing, glad I ate because AA food was so terrible, I didn't eat the entire 12 hours flight. make sure you eat well or bring your food. The flight was comfortable for main cabin 787.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.