Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Aa: Lax/sfo-akl $212 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Aa: Lax/sfo-akl $212 rt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: Accor Silver
Canceled by CheapoAir

Originally Posted by tomasdev
Could you guys comment on the dates for r/t that you booked on 4/21 whether they were cancelled or not?
I booked for 9/21 - 9/28 SFO - AKL and got canceled by CheapoAir (After talking to Qantas I don't think Qantas canceled it)

Last edited by binarycanary; Apr 23, 2016 at 7:01 pm Reason: update with Qantas conversation
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Adam1222
That's not how nonrefundable fares work.

As for filing a complaint, you certainly can do so. But the DOTs guidance is pretty clear that they will let a cancellation like this go.

Shouldn't everybody else's ticket have been cancelled too then? What about the tickets from earlier that were cheaper? Is there a policy to cancel all these tickets or a particular reason to cancel just this flyer's ticket? Has anybody else had their ticket cancelled? I would file a complaint to get some answers...
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by uptwn132
Shouldn't everybody else's ticket have been cancelled too then? What about the tickets from earlier that were cheaper? Is there a policy to cancel all these tickets or a particular reason to cancel just this flyer's ticket? Has anybody else had their ticket cancelled? I would file a complaint to get some answers...
The only cancellations appear to be people who bought *this week*, not those who bought *last week*, which was a different fare and different cities. It is very different to cancel a purchase 24 hours later versus if they'd done other cancellations a week later.

A complaint with DOT isn't some sort of discovery process where you get to investigate all sorts of things. If the answer is that under current DOT guidance, they had every right to cancel your ticket, the end. There is no law that says because you didn't cancel a mistake fare a week ago, you can't cancel a different fare at a different point in time.

If you can't handle the risk of a ticket being canceled in 24 hours, do not buy tickets that appear here. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Adam1222
The only cancellations appear to be people who bought *this week*, not those who bought *last week*, which was a different fare and different cities. It is very different to cancel a purchase 24 hours later versus if they'd done other cancellations a week later.

A complaint with DOT isn't some sort of discovery process where you get to investigate all sorts of things. If the answer is that under current DOT guidance, they had every right to cancel your ticket, the end. There is no law that says because you didn't cancel a mistake fare a week ago, you can't cancel a different fare at a different point in time.

If you can't handle the risk of a ticket being canceled in 24 hours, do not buy tickets that appear here. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I'm responding to only one report so far of a cancelled ticket. We can all read and understand the DOT regs. That's not the point. The earlier tickets were not cancelled. In this round, I'm aware of only one person's ticket cancelled. Maybe he's the only one who is reporting a cancelled ticket or maybe he's the only one who bought one (which I doubt). The OP also said he didn't think Quantas cancelled. I'm curious to know who cancelled. Is it possible that the ticket can be cancelled by a travel agency after the Airline has issued a ticket? Who owns a ticket once its issued? I'm suggesting that if it were me, and it will only cost me a few minutes of my time and nothing more, I would go ahead and file a DOT complaint. It's an opinion. Everybody's got one.

What I'd like to know also is this. What if they issued 10 tickets but for whatever reason only cancelled the OP's? Can they say its an error fare and we have the right to do that while leaving the others intact?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:49 pm

I'm responding to only one report so far of a cancelled ticket. We can all read and understand the DOT regs. That's not the point. The earlier tickets were not cancelled. In this round, I'm aware of only one person's ticket cancelled. Maybe he's the only one who is reporting a cancelled ticket or maybe he's the only one who bought one (which I doubt). The OP also said he didn't think Quantas cancelled. I'm curious to know who cancelled. Is it possible that the ticket can be cancelled by a travel agency after the Airline has issued a ticket? Who owns a ticket once its issued? I'm suggesting that if it were me, and it will only cost me a few minutes of my time and nothing more, I would go ahead and file a DOT complaint. It's an opinion. Everybody's got one.

What I'd like to know also is this. What if they issued 10 tickets but for whatever reason only cancelled the OP's? Can they say its an error fare and we have the right to do that while leaving the others intact?

The only reason to file a complaint is if one has reason to believe the law was violated. If you agree it wasn't, by definition a complaint would be frivolous. End of story. Shame on anyone who encourages filing a complaint when they know there was no violation. And yeah, it may only take a few minutes of your time, but it takes up other people's time as well.

You may have questions youd like answered, but you have no legal entitlement to that, and the DOTs complaint process isn't the place for it. A bad faith complaint does not support the fishing expedition you hope to engage in.

(Remember when blogs and FT encouraged hundreds of people to file DOT complaints over mistake fares? The outcome was DOT adopted a less consumer friendly position.)
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
For what it's worth, I bought tickets to NZ through Cheapoair last week too and they haven't been cancelled (so far). Was ticketed by Qantas shortly after booking, and everything still looks good. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
@seattleguy12- are all your sectors with qantas or there is any with hawaiin air too ? does it make any difference which travel agent /site we use? I mean we have only see cancellations with cheapoair , would it make any difference if I try using expedia or price line ?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by tdot_guy
@seattleguy12- are all your sectors with qantas or there is any with hawaiin air too ? does it make any difference which travel agent /site we use? I mean we have only see cancellations with cheapoair , would it make any difference if I try using expedia or price line ?
The fare is gone.
It was available much longer on cheapoair than any other site.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by tdot_guy
Yep, all flights are on Qantas.

If given the choice to book for the same price, I always prefer to use one of the more mainstream booking sites like Expedia because many of them offer free cancellation for 24 hours, whereas some of the smaller sites have smaller free cancellation periods (I think 4 hours on Cheapoair), charge a small cancellation fee, and/or make you call to cancel. There is always a risk that any site you use will end up cancelling tickets purchased as an error fare though.

That being said, the deal has been dead for several days now.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Can anyone beside binarycanary confirm they bought a ticket *this week* (specifically April 21) ?

I'm thinking the only reason we have just one report of cancellation is that we have only one ticket bought this week.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by dordal
Can anyone beside binarycanary confirm they bought a ticket *this week* (specifically April 21) ?

I'm thinking the only reason we have just one report of cancellation is that we have only one ticket bought this week.
Yep, as I posted earlier, I purchased 2 tickets last week on 4/21 and they have not been cancelled so far.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by Seattleguy12
Yep, as I posted earlier, I purchased 2 tickets last week on 4/21 and they have not been cancelled so far.
Ah sorry. Somehow I thought you meant 'last week' was the April 12 sale.

Interesting, so one cancellation with a very clear 'this fare was filed in error' and one non-cancellation.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dordal
Interesting, so one cancellation with a very clear 'this fare was filed in error' and one non-cancellation.
Who are you quoting?

EDIT: I think I figured out you are quoting Cheapo Air when they canceled his ticket?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Seattleguy12

I purchased four of these tickets the second time this fare came around. Just confirmed via the website all 4 are still valid.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:03 pm

Purchased one on Cheapoair on 4/12, another on Travelocity on 4/21. Neither have been canceled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.