Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Aa: Lax/sfo-akl $212 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Aa: Lax/sfo-akl $212 rt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Do people even read on the internet anymore?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rs/qantas.aspx

Qantas marketed codeshare, operated by non-Qantas metal = NO MILES ON ALASKA

That's what the rules are. Now people are saying that maybe what happens in practice is different, but never rely on what is other than stated when involving abnormally priced tickets!

TL;DR:

To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by Qantas.

Qantas
Eligible Flight Numbers

1 - 199
400 - 1343
1400 - 1625
1640 - 1659
1700 - 1949
2000 - 2293
2300 - 2554
2557 - 2580
2600 - 2669
2800 - 2899
2921 - 2931
2980 - 2999
3739 - 3789
4104 - 4169
7000 - 7189
7800 - 7999

Last edited by keitherson; Apr 12, 2016 at 4:20 pm
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keitherson
Do people even read on the internet anymore?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rs/qantas.aspx

Qantas marketed codeshare, operated by non-Qantas metal = NO MILES ON ALASKA

That's what the rules are. Now people are saying that maybe what happens in practice is different, but never rely on what is other than stated when involving abnormally priced tickets!
I am flying on AA83, also marketed as QF3226. It is on AA metal. When I check in at LAX, I will check in at the AA counter. The boarding pass will say AA Flight 83 on it, in O class. Therefore, I will earn 100% AS EQM for the flight.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi.../american.aspx

This is the case for the question jazzmailman was asking.

Now, maybe some people have a QF reservation on QF metal (or some other metal that isn't a partner with AS; hypothetically United) and the QF flight number is NOT one that AS accepts, then you are correct, you would not get AS miles.

I think most people purchased a flight on AA metal. In that case you should have no problem getting the miles.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I am flying on AA83, also marketed as QF3226. It is on AA metal. When I check in at LAX, I will check in at the AA counter. The boarding pass will say AA Flight 83 on it, in O class. Therefore, I will earn 100% AS EQM for the flight.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi.../american.aspx

This is the case for the question jazzmailman was asking.

Now, maybe some people have a QF reservation on QF metal (or some other metal that isn't a partner with AS; hypothetically United) and the QF flight number is NOT one that AS accepts, then you are correct, you would not get AS miles.

I think most people purchased a flight on AA metal. In that case you should have no problem getting the miles.
No, because your AA boarding pass says "SOLD AS QF 3226", not AA.

AS may turn a blind eye to this, but most major airlines do not.

Here's a concrete example:

If you fly on a V fare, DL 9347, which is KL 644, despite both airlines being partners with AS, you get NOTHING.

DL 9347 does not fall under AS's flight range for crediting DL flights. It does not matter whether DL gets 50% for V fares or KLM gets 25% for V. The flight is INELIGIBLE. Multiple fliers got burnt on this during the mistake fares to MCT/NBO DL/KL fares from over a year ago.

If you credit to any SkyTeam airline, you will likely get 50% as per marketing carrier since they do not exclude SkyTeam codeshares the same way Alaska does.

Last edited by keitherson; Apr 12, 2016 at 4:38 pm
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I didn't want to spend 5 nights in Auckland (no Hyatt or SPG properties and what can I say, I'm a stay/nights/points whore!), so I ended up booking my trips as open-jaws. I'll book a ~$80 flight between AKL/SYD. ended up booking two trips in JUL / AUG. Winter season unfortunately, but easier with family travel schedules and slightly less busy in SYD.

Trip 1) LAX-SYD // AKL-SYD-LAX 3pax $714.68 total A380/B737,B777
Trip 2) LAX-AKL // SYD-SFO 3pax $700.58 total B747/B787

It's a shame that the Qantas 3xx/3xxx flight #s (AA long haul metal) don't earn any miles with Alaska

To the posters above: seeing an AA flight # on the boarding pass, baggage tag, or other receipts won't matter. What matters is the long ticket #. If you were ticketed/sold as QF3226, it will not post. I recently tried, and failed, to get around this by purposely NOT entering any frequent flyer # when I bought the tickets/checked in, and submitted my boarding pass later for "missing mileage credit". It didn't becaues the system looks at the longer e-ticket number. If I had an extra trip booked and needed to choose which to cancel during the free 24hr cxl period, I'd use this as the deciding factor.. Keeping a 100% Qantas-metal itinerary over a split or 100% AA-metal itinerary.

This movie clip shows another good reason to book all Qantas metal too...
Also amusing that the airline scene was cut out by other airlines' inflight entertainment systems.

Last edited by expert7700; Apr 12, 2016 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

No, because your AA boarding pass says "SOLD AS QF 3226", not AA.

AS may turn a blind eye to this, but most major airlines do not.

Here's a concrete example:

If you fly on a V fare, DL 9347, which is KL 644, despite both airlines being partners with AS, you get NOTHING.

DL 9347 does not fall under AS's flight range for crediting DL flights. It does not matter whether DL gets 50% for V fares or KLM gets 25% for V. The flight is INELIGIBLE. Multiple fliers got burnt on this during the mistake fares to MCT/NBO DL/KL fares from over a year ago.

If you credit to any SkyTeam airline, you will likely get 50% as per marketing carrier since they do not exclude SkyTeam codeshares the same way Alaska does.
An Alaska representative says you are wrong: https://twitter.com/AlaskaAir/status/720018097567043584
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:45 pm

An Alaska representative says you are wrong: https://twitter.com/AlaskaAir/status/720018097567043584
If they are treating all AA metal = AA marketed then I should have no problem crediting EY marketed AA flights, GF marketed AA flights to AS then. I'm not going to push my luck since AS still does mileage crediting manually and it's very ad hoc.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

If they are treating all AA metal = AA marketed then I should have no problem crediting EY marketed AA flights, GF marketed AA flights to AS then. I'm not going to push my luck since AS still does mileage crediting manually and it's very ad hoc.
Correct. You shouldn't have any problem crediting those flights to AS as long as it is AA metal.

I understand your concern but I don't think this should be a reason for people to cancel their flight or not credit it to AS.

Besides that, I have screen shotted the conversation with AS on twitter

Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:56 pm

Ahhhh just finished the old deal to HND yesterday night, and I decided to force myself to sleep 4 minutes before the OP posted it. It looks like the deal was picked up by a blog around 5am, and I woke up to see it dead... I think the calling group is a very smart idea. you just receive a call when it is below 2cpm from your buddy in Russia, etc. sounds super useful and fun
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

A strange twist: I booked overlapping flights in order to get around the 7 day minimum (ie booked one ticket Friday the 1st to Sunday the 9th and another ticket Friday the 7th to Sunday the 16th) and got this email from Cheap O:

Dear Single_Flyer,

Thank you for choosing CheapOair

This is to advise you that we have found more than one reservation booked with your exact information, travel dates and times. We are giving you the option to cancel one of the bookings with minimal cost.

Please contact us prior to 6pm EST MM/DD/YYYY (sic). If we do not hear from you we will cancel and refund the first reservation you made with booking #XXX.

Your second reservation, with booking #XXX will remain confirmed for you to travel as planned.

If you have any questions, please contact us at 866-654-5204, option 2, and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you,
CheapOair.com

I double checked and the tickets are for different days but they do overlap. Strange they would send this thinking it is the same date/time/flights.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K

TL;DR:
I don't care what the internet says. I haven't heard of anyone being denied the miles of a partner coded, partner operated flight, regardless of marketimg carrier.

That's why i posted what I posted earlier.

Correct. You shouldn't have any problem crediting those flights to AS as long as it is AA metal.

I understand your concern but I don't think this should be a reason for people to cancel their flight or not credit it to AS.

Thank you for confirming what i posted earlier. Although i didn't need AS to tell me that on twitter since there's many reports of no issues and i trust those over what AS says.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:20 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
I have sent in Delta ticketed but KLM/AF operated flights that should technically have been ineligible for mileage accrual by the charts, but Alaska has always credited me. I would just save your ticket until after travel and send in the email requesting miles. Alaska is VERY generous!!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

It may be starting... just had one of my bookings canceled...

EDIT: It may be because it overlapped with another trip. Working to get it sorted out.

Edit 2: Yes, they saw that there were two bookings with the same name and same routing (but different days) and thought they were helping me out by canceling one. Cheap o air.................

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Apr 12, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
If you did it to circumvent the fares rules (minimum stay), then it is most likely within their right to cancel it. Sucks, but it's the risk you take when you make bookings like that.

Last edited by Antipode; Apr 13, 2016 at 12:27 am
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antipode
If you did it to circumvent the fares rules (minimum stay), then it is most likely within their right to cancel it. Sucks, but it's the risk you take when you make bookings like that.
Interesting but if there is a minimum stay shouldn't they hold that rule across the board? What if someone goes to Australia or Argentina during the minimum stay? Shouldn't that also lead to cancelation? It doesn't seem like they should have a say in where I go during the time of my trip.

I get what you are saying; I guess I am just playing devils advocate especially since it is my skin in the game

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Apr 13, 2016 at 12:47 am
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:54 am

Thanks for the screenshot! I had the same issue yesterday and was already having a headache with their policies. Good to know that AS takes good care of their ff

Last edited by lesethan; Apr 13, 2016 at 2:55 am Reason: deleted picture to save space

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.