Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Aa: Lax/sfo-akl $212 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Aa: Lax/sfo-akl $212 rt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Even though AS does not list the QF flight number, usually AS partner coded, operated by another AS partner do post. Similar examples of postings are BA operated by AA

*disclaimer I did not book this although I am looking for a good deal to position to MEL for an upcoming award I have booked
If it is AA metal you will earn 100% miles with AS. If it is QF metal with a QF flight number that doesn't qualify you may be out of luck. I'd contact AS to confirm.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:54 am

If I need to make changes to flights due to a schedule change, would I go through AA (Marketed), Qantas (Operated), or OTA (Ticketed)?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
If I need to make changes to flights due to a schedule change, would I go through AA (Marketed), Qantas (Operated), or OTA (Ticketed)?
If booked through OTA then they "own" the ticket, hence AA/QF will direct you to them.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
DO NOT CALL! Try another credit card. PLEASE DO NOT CALL!

That's how these things end for good.
Interestingly, my card did not go through on One Travel. Ten minutes later a One Travel representative called me. I assumed it was to cancel the ticket, but it was to get my card information again. Then she processed the booking over the phone and confirmed it worked that time.

Again, I didn't call One Travel. They called me.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:16 pm

For those who got in on the deal, how did you find out? I check FT and other websites multiple times a day, including before going to sleep. However, the deal happened during my sleep. I briefly woke up at 2:30 but didn't think to look. So, how were you notified? Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetsarefast2
For those who got in on the deal, how did you find out? I check FT and other websites multiple times a day, including before going to sleep. However, the deal happened during my sleep. I briefly woke up at 2:30 but didn't think to look. So, how were you notified? Thanks!
I'm on the West Coast. Checked Twitter right before bed. It was posted. If you want to DM me I can tell you the Twitter handle. Not sure it's okay to post that in the thread. If I hadn't checked before bed I would have missed it.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:21 pm

My dog has tummy issues and wanted to go out to poop. I close the doggy door at night..so I went down and opened it and let him out around 1.30 AM. I casually checked my phone and opened this discussion board and found out. Plus I had to get up at 3 am anyway to take a production launch call so I stayed awake since then..I am still awake ..need sleep badly soon :-) I thank my dog for the deal.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone experienced cancelations? Seems like they ticketed so fast for folks that it is like Qantas wanted this sale. Maybe they needed to provide a certain. Number of passengers for their codeshare agreement? Is that a thing?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
I'm an Alaska MVP Gold and this question has been answered a few times on this page, but i'll ask again:

I currently have 2 bookings:

1) LAX-AKL-LAX direct flight on AA but codeshare as QF 3226/3227
2) LAX-SYD-AKL-SYD-LAX flights on QF but these flights are eligible for AS mileage purposes.

Option 1 is obviously ideal because i can select MCE and it's a direct flight, but it looks like it's a YMMV situation with miles posting to AS. Option 2 i can for sure receive AS miles but it's 5 hours more each way and i can't select MCE.

I saw someone mentioned that if I credit a non-listed QF flight (but AA flight) to AS, then it will count as AA and i'll still receive EQM for AS? is that the case or i just end up with zero miles and EQM if i credit to AS.

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I check the MR forum before I go to bed to smite the evil spammers who usually appear in the wee hours of the morning. I saw the thread and posted to FB and then texted friends who I knew wouldn't mind flying in Y for that price.

The best thing I ever did was join a group of friends across time zones who can send out alerts. Some give permission to call, despite the hour, if the price is right. The group needs to be small enough to handle texts and calls while allowing you to book the deal also.

Last edited by Pat89339; Apr 12, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines.
This is pretty awesome and my 3rd error fare this year. I got in on the Virgin Australia deal in February (2 R/T tickets for $500), the TPE-SJC fare on JAL (2 R/T tickets for $340) last month, and now this SFO-AKL on QF for $198. I almost check FT on impulse now
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I flew back to California from Stockholm yesterday. I find that I wake up at 2am for several days after returning from Europe. Saw this deal on BoardingArea.com post from One Mile at a Time.

Then I did my fare deal research.

First I checked to see if this fare was available through Google Flights or airlines' websites. Did not find it.

Then I researched the deal to check for other destination cities in New Zealand besides AKL since I wanted South Island. Did not find deals to other NZ airports.

Then checked for AA marketed flights. Found one for outbound, but not dates I wanted.

Checked for departure cities besides LAX and SFO. Did not locate any.

Checked for possibility of stopover in Australia for same price. Price increased by $500.

Booked my ticket SFO-SYD-AKL ticket on CheapoAir for $225 plus $13 trip insurance protection.

Wrote up the deal and published it on Loyalty traveler with all the details I had learned when there was still more than one hour before the deal started disappearing.

http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea....445.1412004311
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jazzmailman
I'm an Alaska MVP Gold and this question has been answered a few times on this page, but i'll ask again:

I currently have 2 bookings:

1) LAX-AKL-LAX direct flight on AA but codeshare as QF 3226/3227
2) LAX-SYD-AKL-SYD-LAX flights on QF but these flights are eligible for AS mileage purposes.

Option 1 is obviously ideal because i can select MCE and it's a direct flight, but it looks like it's a YMMV situation with miles posting to AS. Option 2 i can for sure receive AS miles but it's 5 hours more each way and i can't select MCE.

I saw someone mentioned that if I credit a non-listed QF flight (but AA flight) to AS, then it will count as AA and i'll still receive EQM for AS? is that the case or i just end up with zero miles and EQM if i credit to AS.

Thanks!
Not sure why your flight on AA metal wouldn't get you miles. AS has told me it is based on the metal you fly.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
I have a recipe to get a phone notification on every new thread in these subforum (MRs) at https://ifttt.com/recipes/407739-mileage-runs-flyertalk

But I was sleeping too, ahh.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by tomasdev
I have a recipe to get a phone notification on every new thread in these subforum (MRs) at https://ifttt.com/recipes/407739-mileage-runs-flyertalk

But I was sleeping too, ahh.
Same, and tweet notifications. Except I was sleeping. Damn sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.