Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AF/AZ/DL/KL: CLT/PHX/other AA hubs - IST; through EOS; $1758 ai r/t

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] AF/AZ/DL/KL: CLT/PHX/other AA hubs - IST; through EOS; $1758 ai r/t

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM

Travel on SkyTeam from various AA hubs like MIA/CLT/PHL/DFW/PHX to Istanbul for great prices starting at $1909. This fare is pretty wide open through EOS with few restrictions. Sat night stay and purchase by Dec 31 required.

Fare Basis: ZPR5US (IPR5US AZ)
Books into:
DL Z, A
KL/AF Z + intra-European legs book into J for extra mileage earning potential
AZ I
Sample Fare Rules:
  • TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 31DEC15.
  • NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED...
  • NO DAY/TIME TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS APPLY.
  • NO SEASONAL TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS APPLY.
  • TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE...
  • TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN
    12 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE...

When searching for routing, note that MPM with various deductions is in effect.

Sample Itins:
  • Jul 13 - Jul 24 PHL-JFK-IST-JFK-PHL = 11,031mi = $1909 @ 17.3cpm

• May 11 - May 19 PHX-ATL-CDG-IST-AMS-LAX-PHX = 14,828mi = $1973 @ 13.3 cpm
Credit this itin to DL SkyMiles and receive 23,625 MQMs at a rate of 8.4 c/MQM.

Last edited by 18sas; Jan 1, 2016 at 6:09 pm
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
this is not a bad deal. PHL being a short drive from NYC makes this deal worthwhile. thanks for posting. now, what i really would like to see is ICN from any AA hub on sale like they had last year.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Dec 26, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
You trying to ride on top one last time? Try out of YYZ.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:51 am

I wish there were stopovers allowed on this offer.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Going to IST these days probably kiss precheck goodbye for the next five years...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:09 pm

Hmmm for real ?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by nk15
Going to IST these days probably kiss precheck goodbye for the next five years...
Fear-mongering with statements that have no basis in fact is not helpful.

I have been to IST and all over North Africa and the Middle East and my GE and Precheck work as normal.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I have been to IST too and all over the Middle East but you have to be kidding yourself if you don't think you will be thoroughly vetted on a return back from this part of the world during these times.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by whimike
Fear-mongering with statements that have no basis in fact is not helpful.

I have been to IST and all over North Africa and the Middle East and my GE and Precheck work as normal.
One may expect a significantly greater likelihood of SSSS to appear on their BPs for some time after returning from IST regardless of precheck or GE status.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Istanbul is one of my favorite cities in the world, so I bought one of these from MIA in June. I have flown to IST 7 times in the past 8 years, and was able to get Global Entry. Six Turkish visas in my passport didn't even raise an eyebrow flying into and out of TLV in 2014. The only thing I am concerned about is the crowds.

BTW, looks like it's still available.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Crazily enough, the price has dropped even lower!

PHX and DFW to IST are now starting at $1758.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:18 pm

I did see something on tripadvisor that said Istanbul was the #1 top tourist destination, or #1 favorite top rated tourist destination of 2015.

I wish there were stopovers allowed though, seems like a long pull from Phoenix, isn't it ?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:41 pm

deleted.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
I used Google Flights to find a nice option. I ended up with this routing for Oct 28 and return Nov 4: PHX-ATL-CDG-IST-CDG-LAX-PHX all on AF except for the PHX legs. Oct 29 is Republic Day (Turkey's Fourth-of-July), and I'll arrive early enough to catch the evening fireworks. I plan to fly on later to Izmir to stay in Selcuk (Ephesus).

The $1,822 price allows differing USA origins: Like DFW-CDG/AMS-IST-CDG/AMS-PHX. I even found one Delta trans-Atlantic connection in FCO. The PHX origins are wide open.

Google Flights allowed me to click through to either AF or Delta to ticket. I chose booking with AF using my Delta Skymiles account number. It appears that I will get roughly 30,000 redeemable miles (and a few more MQD's) doing it way rather than about 14,000 redeemable Skymiles when ticketed to Delta (006). The downside is that the class-of-service multiplier for MQM calculations is only 1.25 for "Z" instead of 1.5 if ticketed by Delta.

I recently flew to EZE ticketed on AeroMexico in Biz class. They are also a tier 1 Delta partner, and I got more than double the redeemable miles (about 35,000) than I would have on Delta. The MQD's are also miles-based, and exceed the price of the ticket which was about $1450.

I'll have to buy a separate SAN-(LAX)-PHX ticket on Delta to arrive the night before at the departure city. The return connection at LAX is handy because I may just decide to abandon my last flight and take the train home.

Entry to Turkey requires a Visa, which is now obtained on the internet similar to Australia.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jan 2, 2016 at 10:41 pm
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie

Google Flights allowed me to click through to either AF or Delta to ticket. I chose booking with AF using my Delta Skymiles account number. It appears that I will get roughly 30,000 redeemable miles (and a few more MQD's) doing it way rather than about 14,000 redeemable Skymiles when ticketed to Delta (006). The downside is that the class-of-service multiplier for MQM calculations is only 1.25 for "Z" instead of 1.5 if ticketed by Delta.

Could you walk me through the calculations? I think they would be as follows:

distance flown x 1.25 (class bonus) x 1.XX (delta platinum 1.8, Diamond 1.9 bonus)= miles awarded for tickets through AF, KL or AZ.

Is this correct?

And from this webpage it looks like Z fares earn 1.50 MQM/mile: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ir-france.html

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.