Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Did You Do a Mileage Run or Mattress Run in 2015? Survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:33 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Please click here for the article and poll results. <--The link to the poll results will be added here when it is available.

Ah — the good old mileage run or mattress run, where you travel or stay in a hotel room solely to earn elite level status in a frequent travel loyalty program for the next year...the lengths of what some FlyerTalk members would do to enjoy benefits and perks during the following year.

Did you embark on one this year?

FlyerTalk — the largest Internet travel community in the world with a rich base of travel knowledge — has collaborated with Frequent Business Traveler magazine and ExpertFlyer in a survey pertaining to you doing a mileage run or mattress run in 2015 to qualify for elite level status in 2016.

This survey will be active through December 24, 2015. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the survey; FlyerTalk members — yes, you in particular — will provide the opinions.

The primary purpose of this particular discussion is for you to opine and elaborate on your thoughts as to what factors contributed to your decisions on whether or not you embarked on either a mileage run or a mattress run in 2015; as well as to learn from other FlyerTalk members about their decisions which may be beneficial to you for next year.

Results of this poll will be announced both on-line in the magazine and here on FlyerTalk.

So — did you do a mileage run or mattress run in 2015 to qualify for elite level status for 2016? I personally never embark on mileage runs or mattress runs; but please take the survey today and let everyone know!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I took the survey (ok, I also helped create the survey) and yes, I did a mileage run on Delta just a few days ago. JFK BOS ATL LIM ATL JFK. It took 24 h and 46 min and I was in 1A all the way, including 3 aircraft (1 757, 2 767s) with lie-flat seats. It was the first time I did a mileage run without actually seeing the destination and this was due to end-of-year time constraints.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:53 pm
Pdg

Programs: AA EXP, Omni Plat, Hilton Silver, National Executive, Kimpton tier 2, Hyatt Plat
I did the survey. But, I didn't answer "yes" if I simply added extra segments onto my travel (which I started doing in late October, when I realized I needed a lot of miles due to a travel-stop in August by my previous employer). So, maybe I messed up the survey? LOL.

Perhaps this should be an additional question to better capture the buying habits of frequent travelers for whom elite status is most important?

Anyway, I did a stone-cold mileage run twice this fall. One roundtrip to PHX-ORD-PHX one day for $84 (my significant other lives in Chicago, so I felt very jetsetter-y flying up for dinner and back).

I did another SAN-PHX-SEA-ANC-PHX-SAN where I planned to jump off the last leg at my home airport and only stay in Anchorage for 90 minutes. (previous to this, I was coming home from DCA and just booked through to SAN instead of PHX so I would be properly located for the SAN start location). I paid something like $130 for this ticket. As it turned out, my new employer had me flying like crazy and my spreadsheet - yes, I'm that geek - showed that I was actually going to end up OVER the top tier with my airline with required new trips on my schedule. So, I dumped this entire ticket after SEA and just used some points to fly back to PHX, rather than do the SEA-ANC-PHX part of the journey, either.

Hey. I was exhausted, developing a raging head cold, and didn't give a rip about the points spent or the miles not earned. It was a great solution for me. Others might not have seen it that way, I realize.

I also said "no" to doing a mattress run. But, I have scheduled necessary room nights on my various required travel for the sole purpose of getting over the top on one of my hotel elite status milestones. Is that a true "mattress run?" I don't think so. But, again, it certainly is a variance in my booking behavior (with associated redistribution of my travel dollars) directly related to an elite status program.

Hope this feedback is helpful and not at all taken as a slight. I just want to A)apologize if I screwed up your data collection, and B)explain where my confusion with the survey lies.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Just completed IAD-BOS-EWR-DEN-LAX-LAS-IAH-ORD-DCA with no layover longer than 3 hours. Did some other shorter MR's (DCA-ORD-OMA-ORD-DCA, for example), but that was my biggest one this year.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I took the survey, answered "no" to all four questions and would have given the same answer in any other year.

While, for some reason, I do like being in airports (except for JFK's Terminal 4) I hate being on planes. No, it's not a matter of fear -- I simply get bored sitting in aluminum tubes.

As far as mattress runs are concerned, they make no sense where I live. I am an HHonors member and the only Hilton hotels in Israel are very expensive.

All of this was true during the years that status meant something -- today, with both Delta and HHonors, it is basically meaningless. In recent years all of my flights have been in Biz Elite/FC and even when I had Platinum Medallion status it gave me nothing that I don't get anyhow.

As far as HHonors is concerned, I am Gold only because of my Amex Surpass card but I don't see it as giving me too much. Upgrades are out of the question for me as very few hotels have smoking rooms which are not the most basic one being offered.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: EMT-P
Mileage Runs - multiple, mattress runs - no.

I fly about 60K miles for business and have enjoyed being an AA EXP since I did the US Chairman's challenge. I'm on a MR (PHL-DEN) today and tomorrow (PHL-DFW). For next year, though, I already have 3 MRs booked (LGA-DFW for $75 and same day turn around) hoping to take advantage of the occasional, but as I've learned quite regular, discount fares from east coast airports. I figure by taking advantage of these cheap, one-day MRs throughout the year, I can hit my 100K before Dec. and avoid the wrath of my family.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: United Airlines, National, Holiday Inn, Marriot
I had 3 specifically for status:

1. STL-IAH-HNL-SFO-STL (5 hours in HNL)
2. STL-DEN-SEA-ORD-STL (Same day turnaround)
3. STL-ORD-NRT-CGK-NRT-DEN-STL (24 hours in Jakarta).

Waiting to see what American puts together for status match. They seem to have better options and equipment out of STL than United.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I flew LGA-SLC-DFW-SLC-LGA on DL a couple of times at the end of the year to get over the hump and re-qualify for Diamond. I mattress ran once in Florida to earn a free night with the IHG Accelerate promotion.

As an aside, the mattress run portion of the question seems a little more vague. There were a few stays I directed towards a given loyalty program to match with a promotion, but I don't know whether those would technically qualify as a mattress run? In terms of a pure mattress run - show up, checkin, (walk up to room and put DND/MAGC sign on door), leave - the only one which qualified was that one stay in Florida.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by steveholt
In terms of a pure mattress run - show up, checkin, (walk up to room and put DND/MAGC sign on door), leave - the only one which qualified was that one stay in Florida.
Leaving after putting on the DND sign is not part of the definition of a Mattress Run although it is done. Some people will actually sleep in the room or take a nap.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I did both this year.

I had several MR's and one Marriott conference room booking.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:36 pm

IAH-LAX-LAS-IAH with a couple of days in LAS. I paid for FC but got my wife's ticket using miles and a RPU that would go unused anyway. The bad part was getting home Saturday afternoon then leaving the next morning for Europe for a week on business.

Needed the miles to put me over 100K and hopefully in GS again.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I did a train ride FRA-MHJ while happily sipping on champagne in Australia to extend my M&M SEN...
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question survey says...................??

Canarsie, what is the point of your survey?

While I did it, the survey provides no immediate feedback (unlike many other online surveys) and many of your questions are subject to interpretation!

If you do this again, I (for one) would appreciate seeing:
- what is the primary source of MR info (FT?);
- what is the best cpm earned in 2015?
- do you run solo (me) or with friends, family?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I'm on a mileage run, sort of.... I try not to do out and backs but plan my year end travel to optimize miles. Right now I'm in Singapore, first stop on a purchased ticket booked as DCA-DTW-NRT-SIN (booked in DL coach, hoping to use an expiring GUC. Returning BNE-LAX-ATL-DCA on VA and DL in W/Y. Flying SIN-BNE using Chase points converted to UA miles for a 30,000 award business class ticket on Thai (a bargain, 30,000 points/miles and $40 tax).
The FF gods intervened though. The GUC DTW-NRT didn't clear and the flight was oversold by 12. So I took a $1000 voucher, meals and hotel, to fly the next day via LAX. And booked straight into first/business DTW-LAX-NRT-SIN.
The IHG rewards folks shifted my points reservation in SIN.
The red coat working the DTW-NRT flight acted like I was doing him a big favor and introduced me to the DTW ops manager who also thanked me.
I've got to say, I was pretty pleased with the outcome myself!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Plat, IHG Spire, Hilton,Miles&More
While not an extreme mileage run, tweaked a flight to get more PQM on United.
Needed 15,000 to reach Plat.
EWR-HNL would have earned 4962 PQM. Cost for BF and buy up was high.
Purchased EWR-IAH, IAH-HNL, cost of buy up reasonable, and picked up additional miles due to IAH connection. End result- 15952 PQM. Welcome Plat 2016!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.