Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL: 14500 Mileage Run

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Smile DL: 14500 Mileage Run

I know its probably difficult but I am looking for a single or 2 economically priced mileage runs out of the Buffalo, NY area to bump up to Platinum on Delta. I am over on the money spend but pretty short on mileage. I am looking at about 14,500 miles or 25 qualifying segments. I have some PTO time on the back half of the month but flight prices around the holiday look to be pretty elevated.

Last edited by flyergirl111; Dec 11, 2015 at 9:31 am
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Hey flyergirl111 - welcome to Flyertalk.

Ugh, last weekend seemed to be near the end of any real deals for mileage run. We're now into holiday territory and airlines know it.

Best luck I can think of from my limited experience of a MR to Alaska last weekend and two hops to LAX for my wife is to do what FTers call: reposition yourself to/from another (beneficial) airport.

For instance, my MR to ANC was best priced out of LAX. Being based in CHA, I hopped through ATL to LAX with a stopover (overnight layover) to then get the LAX-MSP-ANC deal. I was able to call Delta and have it all booked together instead of having two separate tickets.

So check out the forum for deals, also play with Google/flights and the ITA matrix - both take time and creativity - but can be fruitful in finding the best worthwhile deal.

Good luck!
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL-DM AA-Platnum
A few last minute options

Since you're in NY, your best bet is to head to the city. There you have a few options. If you can take a few days off, you can easily make it before the end of the year.

Long Hauls:

There are some options from JFK to ANC (~8K RT) and SVO (~10K RT). Both can be done for about .06/mi. Those are historically the best single destination trips I've found on Delta. I am actually just now getting back from a run to ANC to get the last 8K I needed to maintain diamond.

"Short Hauls":
The other painful, but reasonably priced option is to do a few out and backs to LAX,SFO or SEA - whichever happens to be cheapest from NYC.

Good luck!
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
DL: 14500 Mileage Run

That's a lot of miles. Look at flights to Asia - likely to get in one trip for less cost overall. Also look at departures from UA and AA hubs like PHL and EWR.

HKG was cheap a while back. But this close to year end and to departure may mean nothing is really cheap.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thank you all for the suggestions. I travel frequently for work and we aren't dedicated to one airline, it's based on price. When I realized I was over on dollar spend for platinum I thought it might be worth trying to grab the points to lock me in for next year. I do get upgraded frequently as gold.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL PM
I'd also keep an eye on SkyTeam partners - Air France, KLM, Alitalia. JFK SVO was around 5.3 CPM last weekend (10.1k MQMs, $596), 48 hours with a little breathing room at CDG, AMS, MXP depending on your preference.

Try to spend as little time as possible at SVO but remember you need time to make your return flight!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by rubenswm
I'd also keep an eye on SkyTeam partners - Air France, KLM, Alitalia. JFK SVO was around 5.3 CPM last weekend (10.1k MQMs, $596), 48 hours with a little breathing room at CDG, AMS, MXP depending on your preference.

Try to spend as little time as possible at SVO but remember you need time to make your return flight!
Keep in mind you'd need a visa to go to Russia....at whatever cost that is, and not sure on turnaround time either on processing.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Domestic flights are full and fares are high around the holidays, but many overseas destinations are priced very reasonably during this period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.