Community
Wiki Posts
Search

51K miles in 10 days

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:29 am
Original Poster

51K miles in 10 days

Currently I have a oneworld mileage run scheduled for 34,000 miles within a span of 10 days. As of right now, I'm Platinum with American Airlines and have flown 71,000 miles with AA this year.

The trip is a semi-MR because there's 2.5 days in Lima and 2 days in Iguassu Falls. All domestic flights are economy, though I have requested upgrades with 500-mile stickers. All international flights with LAN/TAM are in Economy.

Here's what my vacation looks like.

MCI-PHX-LAX-LIM (12hr layover) -GRU-IGU-GRU-LIM-LAX-LIM (2 days) -IGU (2 days) -GRU-LIM-LAX-PHX-ANC-PHX-MCI

But after noticing a sale from Saõ Paulo, I'm contemplating flying GRU to LAS R/T instead of staying in Lima for 2 days. Airfare from LIM-GRU is too pricey, so I would use AA award miles for TAM flights LIM-GRU-LIM. It would be 30K miles for Economy or 65K for a Business Class award. Business would be better for sleeping and stretching.

How crazy is this? What I'm really concerned about is the exhaustion and possible health issues. I don't even need the extra miles since I'll reach EXP from the original plan.

Here's what it would look like.

MCI-PHX-LAX-LIM-GRU-IGU-GRU-LIM-LAX-LIM-GRU-DFW-LAS-MIA-GRU-LIM-IGU (2 days) -GRU-LIM-LAX-PHX-ANC-PHX-MCI

This is what a frequent flyer addiction looks like. Help.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:31 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Isn't it easier to just fly to JNB or DXB twice? Both destinations are always on sale for $700-$1000 almost every day all year.

After March 2016 I will have flown to JNB six times and DXB three times for MRs. Two easy 11hr flights from the West Coast. ^^
It's like the world's easiest
Yikes. That trip looks crazy!!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by 355F1
Isn't it easier to just fly to JNB or DXB twice? Both destinations are always on sale for $700-$1000 almost every day all year.

After March 2016 I will have flown to JNB six times and DXB three times for MRs. Two easy 11hr flights from the West Coast. ^^
It's like the world's easiest
Yikes. That trip looks crazy!!
Unless I'm mistaken, OP has already booked the first bit? So "just doing JNB/DXB" won't really work. (Although I agree those are solid runs.)

In truth, that's a LONG week and a half. The positives are you'll be on relatively the same time zone. For me on runs, that's the biggest issue.

I'd say don't add this extra leg(s) onto the trip. Mostly because if you do, you'll be traveling for like 4/5 days straight, THEN trying to do 2 days at Iguassu. Regardless of what side you're on, there's some walking. You don't want to be DEAD tired.

Fun fact, I got wicked food poisoning from the lunch buffet place when we visited the Brasil side.

But only you know how valuable those miles for that price are for you.. remember you're also offsetting some hotel costs in Lima, etc.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tblack15
Unless I'm mistaken, OP has already booked the first bit? So "just doing JNB/DXB" won't really work. (Although I agree those are solid runs.)
You're correct. Booked the LAX-LAN-IGU r/t x2 in May for ~$400 each. The positioning and PHX-ANC r/t flights were paid with ThankYou points. While a visit to JNB via British Airways would be nice, it wasn't on sale at the time and I want to visit Iguassu Falls.

In truth, that's a LONG week and a half. The positives are you'll be on relatively the same time zone. For me on runs, that's the biggest issue.

I'd say don't add this extra leg(s) onto the trip. Mostly because if you do, you'll be traveling for like 4/5 days straight, THEN trying to do 2 days at Iguassu. Regardless of what side you're on, there's some walking. You don't want to be DEAD tired.

Fun fact, I got wicked food poisoning from the lunch buffet place when we visited the Brasil side.

But only you know how valuable those miles for that price are for you.. remember you're also offsetting some hotel costs in Lima, etc.
Good point on the reminder that I will be hiking in Iguassu Falls. I'll be mindful of the buffet. Did you eat salad or something washed with tap water?

It was late last night, and I wasn't thinking. The miles spent for LIM-GRU r/t would be more than the miles accrued for GRU-LAS r/t, even if it is under sub-$400.

In September I did a run to GRU, staying one night, and the time difference wasn't so bad. Main Cabin Extra helped too.

I'll be staying in a hostel in Lima at $11 per night with a $20 airport ride each way, so offsetting costs isn't much of an issue. The area is near the art museum, a new area to explore. So I'll stay in Lima.

It would have made a good story, but this will still be a great trip.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for your thoughts!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by jetsarefast2

Good point on the reminder that I will be hiking in Iguassu Falls. I'll be mindful of the buffet. Did you eat salad or something washed with tap water?
Not sure. Assuming it was something vegetarian though, as Ms. TB also had been taken ill, and she's a vegetarian... Come to think of it, the other culprit may have been the day before we took the boat out into the falls; I'm sure I gulped some water there as well.

Will you be staying in Foz or Puerto?

Regardless if you have a Brasil visa, I'd suggest doing the Argentinean side first, then Brasil side on your second day. Argentinean side is a full-ish day. Brasil you can do half day, then visit to bird sanctuary (or another "attraction"), or just relax over some Brahmas.

If you can do both, it's a totally different perspective and equally awesome. Super up close and personal on Argentinean side, great wide angle views on Brazilian. If you can't tell, I miss South America. Used to live there and moved back a couple years ago.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:56 am

All the above advice is solid and I can't really add to that.

However, keep in mind the BA devaluation that's about to occur in February or whatever. No more runs to JNB/CPT unless you find an AA codeshare on sale, which I've yet to see. When I've checked, the AA fares are generally hundreds+ more.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Not sure. Assuming it was something vegetarian though, as Ms. TB also had been taken ill, and she's a vegetarian... Come to think of it, the other culprit may have been the day before we took the boat out into the falls; I'm sure I gulped some water there as well.

Will you be staying in Foz or Puerto?

Regardless if you have a Brasil visa, I'd suggest doing the Argentinean side first, then Brasil side on your second day. Argentinean side is a full-ish day. Brasil you can do half day, then visit to bird sanctuary (or another "attraction"), or just relax over some Brahmas.

If you can do both, it's a totally different perspective and equally awesome. Super up close and personal on Argentinean side, great wide angle views on Brazilian. If you can't tell, I miss South America. Used to live there and moved back a couple years ago.
In September I went to Peru and was ill from food poisoning, which the doctor at the Lima airport said was likely to be water-borne. At $3 USD, the antibiotics was a fraction of the cost than what one pays in the States. Starting tomorrow I will be taking probiotic solution and may have some kombucha to better prepare my stomach. With all the flying I cannot afford to get sick.

Great tip on visiting the Argentinian and Brazilian sides. Thankfully I already have visas for both countries. Will be staying in Foz. I hope you can visit your home again soon.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:30 pm

Not sure how you booked your flights or calculating your mileage, but just make sure you check the partner airline charts because the miles earned are based on fare code and destination.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...rlines/lan.jsp
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrxcellent
Not sure how you booked your flights or calculating your mileage, but just make sure you check the partner airline charts because the miles earned are based on fare code and destination.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...rlines/lan.jsp
Thank you. Shortly after booking, I contacted the AA Platinum Desk to find out exactly what the fare classes would earn, particularly for LAN/TAM. The AA agent was not 100% positive and so he transferred me to the EXP Desk where they confirmed. My calculations have determined that for the 34,419 miles flown as AA Platinum, I will receive that amount of miles (100% EQM); 23,578 EQP; and 34,939 bonus miles.

Edit: The only foreseen hiccup may be getting the miles posted from LAN/TAM, as they will most likely take longer to post than AA flights.

Last edited by jetsarefast2; Nov 17, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.