Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA from RDU... 5K short of Exec Plat this year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle, etc etc

Figuring out the rest of my trips this year, looks like I'm going to be around 5,000 EQM short of 100K this year. Any ideas/suggestions with travel from RDU?

Years past, US Air would offer EQM for buying a year pass to the club. Sounds like AA doesn't do that. Anything else out there I'm missing?

Greatly appreciate input, thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I presume you mean to buy up the mileage needed to get to the elite status, AA has offered in the past, not sure on this year, but I seem to recall the cost was fairly high. With only 5k short, a simple MR is cheaper overall. Just look for something in the west coast, LAX, SFO, SEA, with a connection in DFW should do the trick. EQM to buy a years pass to the club, AA does not offer that.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:52 pm

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:45 pm
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by Geauxtigers
RDU-DFW-SEA-CLT-RDU is $298 for 5440 miles on 11/14 and many other dates around then

RDU-MIA-LAX-PHX-CLT-RDU is $271/ 5310 miles on 11/13

RDU-DFW-SFO-DFW-RDU $298/ 5040 miles on 11/14 or 12/5
Thanks! Question.... do you just do a random search and see what low far you can find or some other trick to it? I'm loaded with business travel the next few weeks to AUS and FRA so I'm looking at a December trip. A RT to SFO and back for $298 is a good deal!

Next question, how do I convince my wife that flying to the west coast and back is worth the $$$? Maybe I can use the happier husband card....
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:49 pm

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:45 pm
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA1K; AA EXP
How about RDU-CLT-SFO-CLT-RDU, same-day, RT AI sub-$300?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by ronniefastback
Thanks! Question.... do you just do a random search and see what low far you can find or some other trick to it? I'm loaded with business travel the next few weeks to AUS and FRA so I'm looking at a December trip. A RT to SFO and back for $298 is a good deal!
ita matrix and google flights are your friends. Try searching for routings like RDU-MIA-JFK-LAX-SEA-LAX-JFK-MIA-RDU. This was just an example, but you get the point. Also, AA's own multi-city option is pretty good, after you find desired routing/flights/price on ita matrix.

Next question, how do I convince my wife that flying to the west coast and back is worth the $$$? Maybe I can use the happier husband card....
Well, I can't really comment on that and it's totally upto you. Why don't you take your wife along, and make a mini-vacay out of it? Just explain to her about the connections, and what the value of EXP is (YMMV)! Just a thought!

Safe travels!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
ita matrix and google flights are your friends.
Thanks, never heard of ita matrix. Just checked it out and looks to be exactly what I was looking for.

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Why don't you take your wife along, and make a mini-vacay out of it?
3 kids and no grandparents/relatives within 600 miles of me make that a bit tougher..... Certainly keeping it in mind though.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Figuring out the rest of my trips this year, looks like I'm going to be around 5,000 EQM short of 100K this year. Any ideas/suggestions with travel from RDU?

Years past, US Air would offer EQM for buying a year pass to the club. Sounds like AA doesn't do that. Anything else out there I'm missing?

Greatly appreciate input, thanks!
I did RDU-CLT-SEA in 1st class for 1K 2 weeks ago - left at 7AM back by 11 PM I think it was over 6K in EQP
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Ended up 1,006 short..... so doing a mileage run to Miami and back tomorrow. Hello Exec Platinum!
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

First mileage run of my life complete! 2 easy flights to and from Miami with an upgrade on the way home. Back home by noon having lunch... can't beat that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.