Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/oneworld US to Europe for ~$1.4k on Biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/oneworld US to Europe for ~$1.4k on Biz

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Time to mark this thread as [PREM FARE GONE] and move to Discussion thread... I'll request that of the moderators.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Non of my tickets have become "sales" on my credit card.
They are all still listed as "pending" and they were made on 10-15.

Anyone else seeing this lack of "completion"?

Flights are all listed as "confirmed" and have E-ticket numbers issued. But still, slightly concerned.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
At the risk of sounding slightly self-centered, I actually think these sorts of sales may be specifically targeted at folks like FTers. In the past, a lot of MR types earned their miles on cheap tickets, then redeemed/upgraded using miles to fly in premium cabins. That took looking around quite a bit and planning. Here, the same folks see $1200-$1600 TATL fares as attractive propositions for spending money, and so we end up booking these and paying the airline money for seats that they were previously getting little in the way of revenue for.

Not a bad deal for either party.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Moderator2
One additional observation (that I recognize might somewhat undermine my premise above). An occasional two day flash sale probably doesn't result in all that many tickets being sold. These are not heavily advertised, and the average person doesn't follow "The Blogs" like travel junkies here on FT. I also don't know how many people are truly prepared to make leisure travel decisions in that short of time frame. Some friends that I referred the deal to could not even comprehend thinking about school holiday periods next year. Others with no kids, plenty of disposable income, and significant foreign travel experience, seemed freaked out about making choices without all kinds of forethought.
Yes, we keep forgetting what an outlier group we are. At this point I have trained myself to book in under an hour, lol. I know my next year's schedule by heart, so most of that hour is comparing routes, weeding out non-flat beds, comparing possible destinations, checking weather at destinations for various seasons, double checking travel times, constructing interesting itineraries, and settling into the decision. I find it very strange that people cannot book even in 24 hours, lol.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
We are such a small minority. I often forget that to many people, flying is still a pretty big event. My travel has increased ten-fold this year compared to any previous year. It wasn't so long ago that I didn't know how to pack efficiently, that I'd worry about not being at the airport two hours prior to departure (hah!) and wondering just how the hell these people ALWAYS got an exit seat. I can't imagine that more than 10% of the flying public has made it to a status level on any airline past 25k miles. I would bet even that is a stretch.

People come to me all the time with what we consider super simple questions - the whole process of travel is incredibly confusing and fraught with minutiae for someone who doesn't have the time to pay attention like we do. If I tell someone 'I was booked on an EK 77w in J from LAX-DXB' they are going to have no idea in hell what I'm talking about unless they are borderline obsessed like we are. That string of gibberish means absolutely nothing to probably 95% of the population. So I can easily understand how pulling the trigger on a 'cheap' 1.5k business class fare to London is still a big deal for almost everyone except people who frequent these boards and blogs.

As mentioned upthread, I don't even think most people are aware of AA/BAs fare hold policy. It blows people's minds when I tell them this. At the very least, just mess around with fares and get a 24 or 72 hour hold, then think about it!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:46 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Well one of my semi-predictions was wrong. AARP and BA have extended the business class discount for another 17 months at the same rate, per Lucky.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: QF LTG
Well one of my semi-predictions was wrong. AARP and BA have extended the business class discount for another 17 months at the same rate, per Lucky.
Pretty sure this happened last week as I was able to use the AARP discount on my flights for July.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just like most blog stuff it was first reported here on FT several days earlier when a poster contacted ba about this and received email confirmation:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...working-2.html
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by N1120A
At the risk of sounding slightly self-centered, I actually think these sorts of sales may be specifically targeted at folks like FTers. In the past, a lot of MR types earned their miles on cheap tickets, then redeemed/upgraded using miles to fly in premium cabins. That took looking around quite a bit and planning. Here, the same folks see $1200-$1600 TATL fares as attractive propositions for spending money, and so we end up booking these and paying the airline money for seats that they were previously getting little in the way of revenue for.

Not a bad deal for either party.
I think that you are on target...

The LAX-LHR return on AA I booked last week was 95% or more empty in J both outbound and inbound. So anyone they can get to book at sale prices in J is better than AA EXPs buying a $700 economy ticket and upgrading with SWUs.

I am having a hard time using my SWUs these days partly because I am getting these sale tickets in J and using the AARP deal in J when BA has sale prices.

I have already upgraded LAX-LHR trip to F, but still have 4 SWUs
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Non of my tickets have become "sales" on my credit card.
They are all still listed as "pending" and they were made on 10-15.

Anyone else seeing this lack of "completion"?

Flights are all listed as "confirmed" and have E-ticket numbers issued. But still, slightly concerned.
By that I figure you must be seeing the flights as "ticketed" if looking at aa.com detail or something close to it if done through ba, right? Then it should be okay.

If they are having whatever problem and let's say do not want to honor your booking, then they don't charge at all, except maybe $1 charge airlines do every time you book. My flights are all confirmed and my credit activity also still says "pending," which I'm pretty used to from past experiences with at least AA.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by nanami
By that I figure you must be seeing the flights as "ticketed" if looking at aa.com detail or something close to it if done through ba, right? Then it should be okay.

If they are having whatever problem and let's say do not want to honor your booking, then they don't charge at all, except maybe $1 charge airlines do every time you book. My flights are all confirmed and my credit activity also still says "pending," which I'm pretty used to from past experiences with at least AA.
My charges went through on my BA Chase Visa.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
I think that you are on target...

The LAX-LHR return on AA I booked last week was 95% or more empty in J both outbound and inbound. So anyone they can get to book at sale prices in J is better than AA EXPs buying a $700 economy ticket and upgrading with SWUs.

I am having a hard time using my SWUs these days partly because I am getting these sale tickets in J and using the AARP deal in J when BA has sale prices.

I have already upgraded LAX-LHR trip to F, but still have 4 SWUs
Let me know if you need help getting rid of those SWUs
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold QFF WP AA EXP Marriott PPE HH Diam
Out of interest, did anyone get the SFO-JFK or LAX-JFK to book into F like we were able to on the last one?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Got in on this one ! Anyone know the current Avios cost for a cw->f upgrade on Lhr-SFO segment? can't seem to find availability for two yet to price it out versus the reservation.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by footastic
Got in on this one ! Anyone know the current Avios cost for a cw->f upgrade on Lhr-SFO segment? can't seem to find availability for two yet to price it out versus the reservation.
Off-peak is 22.5k miles and peak is 25k miles per person each way. However, having that said, it's pretty rare for BA to release Z on LHR-California routes. I was looking at that option but decided to just fly AA 77W to LAX.

Z is pretty common on LHR-DEN/ORD/YYZ/JFK/EWR/BOS/IAD though (but you have to add another 2-5 hours in domestic F to SFO, which negates the value in BA F, but YMMV).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.