Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/oneworld US to Europe for ~$1.4k on Biz

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/oneworld US to Europe for ~$1.4k on Biz

Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:44 pm

Bah signed up for a paid AARP account and the BA screen just keeps telling me to "verify my membership"
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Yeah, I was game for at least two trips at the old price levels, but now I'm leaning towards passing.

I really need to burn rather than earn anyways.
Same reason I stayed away from this deal although I saw this deal since yesterday.With more than a million miles in my account I really need to burn rather than earn.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iker
How do you apply an AARP discount?
Click through this link and login: http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...ember-benefits
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iker
How do you apply an AARP discount?
Go to BA website and search AARP (I think it's just regular BA website then forward slash aarp)

Sign in or register at the bottom where it says log in to your AARP account and go from there.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:02 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sedubby
Bah signed up for a paid AARP account and the BA screen just keeps telling me to "verify my membership"
It may take up to an hour for it to reflect. Be patient.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's no secret that mistake fares aren't what they used to be. That said, I think today's deals were among the best EVER.

The problem was it took everyone a little time to figure out how to maximize what was available, and then there was only a few precious hours to book it.

Clearly the best deals were to European destinations other than London (that freakin' carbon tax, worse in biz class!) with travel completed by January 31 (so you get back 25,000 ff miles with the BA or AA promo). I paid $273 to fly in biz class to Rome, and I'll get back more Avios than I spent. An insane deal, with no blackout days.

You could pay the same to Athens, Paris or Barcelona for summer travel, but you don't get 25,000 Avios back. Considering you can gin up Avios points for .57 cents each at Staples now, that's a pretty incredible price, too!

Of course, the great limitation on this deal was how many Avios points you had. I had foolishly booked some COACH seats to Europe a few days ago with Avios. Just as I was contemplating whether it was worth cancelling those any paying the change fees (it was going to hurt, but yes, it would have been worth it), the deals went "poof."

The fares that are still left are a good deal, but only for those who have the necessary Avios points and don't mind spending another $1000. Oh, and you can buy your ticket through topcashback and save $13.

I have this bad memory of buying a BA coach ticket to India a few years ago for less than $300. The fare was really in the $500s, but there was a short-lived way to dump the fuel surcharge on priceline and get the price below $300. To my amazement, BA cancelled all the tickets, even for folks who paid more than $500. I don't think that's going to happen here, but I'd be lying if I said the chance was zero.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just wanted to say a huge "Thank You" to everyone who input on this thread.

I booked family of 5 + infant ORD - BCN for August. $1700 + 150K Avios, and should earn back most of those Avios. $350/person in CW is just crazy, and I know it's not the best product out there, but I'm super excited to fly on the upper deck of a 747 on the return LHR-ORD.

FYI - After booking, I went back into the "Manage Booking" and it allowed me to select both my BA and AA seats. I don't have status with either airline, so not sure why it let me select seats for free.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
You were able to select seats for free as you were traveling with an infant.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by iahphx
It's no secret that mistake fares aren't what they used to be. That said, I think today's deals were among the best EVER.

The problem was it took everyone a little time to figure out how to maximize what was available, and then there was only a few precious hours to book it.

Clearly the best deals were to European destinations other than London (that freakin' carbon tax, worse in biz class!) with travel completed by January 31 (so you get back 25,000 ff miles with the BA or AA promo). I paid $273 to fly in biz class to Rome, and I'll get back more Avios than I spent. An insane deal, with no blackout days.

You could pay the same to Athens, Paris or Barcelona for summer travel, but you don't get 25,000 Avios back. Considering you can gin up Avios points for .57 cents each at Staples now, that's a pretty incredible price, too!

Of course, the great limitation on this deal was how many Avios points you had. I had foolishly booked some COACH seats to Europe a few days ago with Avios. Just as I was contemplating whether it was worth cancelling those any paying the change fees (it was going to hurt, but yes, it would have been worth it), the deals went "poof."

The fares that are still left are a good deal, but only for those who have the necessary Avios points and don't mind spending another $1000. Oh, and you can buy your ticket through topcashback and save $13.

I have this bad memory of buying a BA coach ticket to India a few years ago for less than $300. The fare was really in the $500s, but there was a short-lived way to dump the fuel surcharge on priceline and get the price below $300. To my amazement, BA cancelled all the tickets, even for folks who paid more than $500. I don't think that's going to happen here, but I'd be lying if I said the chance was zero.
Yes, good points, if you had the Avios and booked within the promo period to get them back, it was an unprecedented deal. Lesson learned to always have Avios available.

Do people know for sure that the AARP discount is stackable with the 25k Avios promo? If you read the 25k Avios promo T&Cs it says "14.Cannot be combined with any other offer. " Does the AARP discount count as "other offer"? Has anyone received the 25k bonus when booking with the AARP?

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...rs/bonus-avios
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Pawel Siewko
$#@#@@$
i was on last step to pay

and something shut down...now cannot use avios and pricec to BCN went up
Originally Posted by JoJo12
AARP verify membership works fine now that payment with Avios is no longer available. Darn.
I'm no longer seeing the part payment with avios option either - glad I got one booking with it in!...when/why isn't that appearing anymore? [I assume BA took it away under the vague "eligible flights" language in the T&Cs]

Last edited by FindAWay; Oct 15, 2015 at 10:04 pm
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
Yes, good points, if you had the Avios and booked within the promo period to get them back, it was an unprecedented deal. Lesson learned to always have Avios available.

Do people know for sure that the AARP discount is stackable with the 25k Avios promo? If you read the 25k Avios promo T&Cs it says "14.Cannot be combined with any other offer. " Does the AARP discount count as "other offer"? Has anyone received the 25k bonus when booking with the AARP?

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...rs/bonus-avios
The strange thing is that you usually don't need a lot of Avios points because the fuel surcharges generally make them not good to use for Europe -- especially for premium class tickets. I think the vast majority of folks around here (including me) use them predominantly for cheap short haul flying. And most of us are reluctant to let our Chase UR balances get too high just in case Chase decides they don't like us shopping at Staples or whatever.

It would be extremely surprising if BA didn't allow folks to earn the 25K bonus because they got a discount on their ticket price. I think they were thinking you couldn't get something like a 10K route bonus AND this 25K bonus. But I guess we'll soon get reports. It's also worth noting that you can credit the flights to AA and get their 25K bonus instead. For many folks, especially those with a preference for premium class travel, that might be a better choice anyway -- especially since it's easier to gin up BA miles than AA miles.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
I'm no longer seeing the part payment with avios option either - glad I got one booking with it in!...when/why isn't that appearing anymore? [I assume BA took it away under the vague "eligible flights" language in the T&Cs]
Still working for me (as of 5 min ago). My recommendation is to log out of your avios account before you start your search. In addition, some city pairs (like SJC - LHR) don't show the high discount avios option.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
I passed on the AARP discount and booked on AA.com.

The AA extra points for discount Business will get me to EXP this year. Also F is empty on the flights I chose so I can use SWUs to upgrade our seats.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by cooltyler
In addition, some city pairs (like SJC - LHR) don't show the high discount avios option.
Using the Avios discount, LHR-SJC works on the way back if the outbound is a qualifying city. I have LAX-LHR / AMS-LHR-SJC booked for ~$500 after AARP and Avios discount.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
This is a confusing set of promotions.

The google flights map, and even the BA.com sliding weekly calendar above a booking, are often showing different pricing (both lower and higher) than is being offered on specific flights options at ba.com.

On top of that, many times the avios + cash pricing isn't showing even when it's supposed to.

I can't tell when prices have sold out, or when I'm just witnessing a series of site glitches.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.