Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need 25K EQPs on AA. - Any mileage run suggestions?

Need 25K EQPs on AA. - Any mileage run suggestions?

Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Need 25K EQPs on AA. - Any mileage run suggestions?

Hey guys, I'm a United 1K and decided to do the AA EXP match challenge. So I'm going to need 25K EQPs within 90 days. Spent about 4 hours (!!) searching fares last night and the absolute best I found was this flight.

Would cost $2,175 and give me 24,747 EQPs. But ACTUALLY, because of AA's current promotion that gives 0.5 bonus EQPs for flying in discounted First or Business, that roundtrip flight would give me 33,060 EQPs! Way more than I actually need!

If I could find a roundtrip flight in R,D,A,I,P that was 12,500 miles roundtrip for less than $2,175, that's all I would need. Or a flight in J or F that was at least 8,334 miles roundtrip (but I suspect a J or F fare code is going to cost a lot more than $2K for an 8,000 mile roundtrip). Not interested in an economy ticket to some place like Beijing because I have zero interest in sitting in a coach sit for two 15 hour flights. :P Economy to central america could work since AA upgrades EXP on legs to central america. Of course, would rather just buy a biz class ticket for an excellent price and be assured I’m not sitting in economy for a long-haul.

Any suggestions? Also, what tools do you guys use? Seems like SkyPicker would be BRILLIANT and save so much time searching for mileage runs, if only it would allow you to search by airline (and even better, by ticket code!).

I would IMMENSELY appreciate it if someone could find me a roundtrip flight I could book sometime within the next 90 days that would allow me to earn 25K EQPs for less than $2K.

THANKS IN ADVANCE! ^

EDIT: I'll be in NYC next week and before going home, I could do this mileage run if there are any amazing deals in business or first class out of a NYC airport on or shortly after September 26.

Last edited by FlyWell2009; Sep 17, 2015 at 1:28 am
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyWell2009
Hey guys, I'm a United 1K member and just decided to do the Executive Platinum challenge with American. That means I'm going to need 25K qualifying points within 90 days. I'd rather knock it out in one mileage run, if possible. And ideally in business class. Although, with the EXP challenge, it's my understanding that you get EXP status immediately and have it during the challenge. So would I get upgraded to business for free on a coach fare?

Not interested in spending 30+ hours in the air in coach so I'd either need to find a way to get upgraded, or just buy a very cheap business fare. Would be willing to spend $2K, but would like to spend less, if possible.

Any suggestions? I live in the mid west but will be in NYC next week and could depart any NYC airport for this mileage run Sep 26 through Oct 1. That would be ideal. Although if no deals departing those dates, I could always fly to a major airport at a later date, just within 90 days so I do it within the challenge window.

Also, how the heck do you guys find these amazing deals? Seems like there's a TON of moving pieces and variables with checking tons of different departing and arriving airports, varying dates, and fare codes. Are there special tools or resources you guys use?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE! ^^^
Hi all,

Thanks for starting this Flywell. Im a long time Delta Diamond Medallion and in the same boat with the EP challenge. Would love to hear your suggestions as well. I don't have as many constraints as far as travel time but looking to keep within the same budget.

Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ARH2
Hi all,

Thanks for starting this Flywell. Im a long time Delta Diamond Medallion and in the same boat with the EP challenge. Would love to hear your suggestions as well. I don't have as many constraints as far as travel time but looking to keep within the same budget.

Thanks!
Oh, wow. Does AA match Delta Diamond to EXP now, too? Cool, if so!

I also just found this flight. 15K EQPs for just 800 bucks. Take it twice and that's 30K EQPs for $1,600... about $600 less than the previous flight I found. Although, going to Rio would be much fun than San Juan twice.

For some variety, I'm thinking maybe this one and then if I could find one that nets 10K EQPs for $800 or less, then that would be perfect.

Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:55 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond

HNL-LAX-JFK-MIA-BAQ

15024Miles both ways with x2.0EQP its enough for challenge

701USD 26oct for 5days

You can trie diffrent routing via phx ....
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Remember challenges only count the normal 1.5eqp NOT the promo 2/3 eqp!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC, MileagePlus, Asia miles
Thanks

Last edited by pyflam; Nov 7, 2015 at 5:07 am
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC, MileagePlus, Asia miles
Thanks

Last edited by pyflam; Nov 7, 2015 at 5:05 am
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
[QUOTE=FlyWell2009;25437890]I also just found this flight. 15K EQPs for just 800 bucks. Take it twice and that's 30K EQPs for $1,600... about $600 less than the previous flight I found. Although, going to Rio would be much fun than San Juan twice.
QUOTE]

Just a reminder, if you have a US passport make sure you have the necessary Brazil visa, which will take about 3 weeks depending on your state residence.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:25 am

Good one!

Oh, wow. Does AA match Delta Diamond to EXP now, too? Cool, if so!

I also just found this flight. 15K EQPs for just 800 bucks. Take it twice and that's 30K EQPs for $1,600... about $600 less than the previous flight I found. Although, going to Rio would be much fun than San Juan twice.

For some variety, I'm thinking maybe this one and then if I could find one that nets 10K EQPs for $800 or less, then that would be perfect.

Great find! I may just do that. I'd like to find something out of midwest, but this might work. I just booked LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY-MIA-JFK-LAX (A,I) for $970. This will get me to about 14k EQP. With this one, that would put me right at 25K.

Regarding the challenge, its not a match. I got the targeted fast track offer for 25k Exec Platinum before Dec. 27. The only unfortunate part that has already been mentioned here is that you cannot combine the other 2 & 3x EQP promo if you are on the fast track promo... so its 1.5 across the board for Full fare, business, and first.

If you stumble upon anything else from the midwest, let me know.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:23 am

Great find! I may just do that. I'd like to find something out of midwest, but this might work. I just booked LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY-MIA-JFK-LAX (A,I) for $970. This will get me to about 14k EQP. With this one, that would put me right at 25K.

Regarding the challenge, its not a match. I got the targeted fast track offer for 25k Exec Platinum before Dec. 27. The only unfortunate part that has already been mentioned here is that you cannot combine the other 2 & 3x EQP promo if you are on the fast track promo... so its 1.5 across the board for Full fare, business, and first.

Thanks again!
Just curious what dates you were able to get this. I can't seem to find any availability. Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
Just curious what dates you were able to get this. I can't seem to find any availability. Thanks!
Booked it yesterday. Just checked again and it looks as if its gone up about $150.

Dates are:
10/23 LAX-JFK (4hr overnight in JFK)
10/24 JFK-MIA
10/24 MIA-PTY
10/24 PTY-MIA
10/24 MIA-JFK (5hr overnight in JFK)
10/25 JFK-LAX

Sorry, don't know how to add a screen shot.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pawel Siewko

HNL-LAX-JFK-MIA-BAQ

15024Miles both ways with x2.0EQP its enough for challenge

701USD 26oct for 5days

You can trie diffrent routing via phx ....
How did you find that at $700? For me, it shows at $1,500 on AA.com.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks again!
OK, found an even better one! I think I'm going to book this! Honolulu to PTY and back, through NYC. 22K EQPs for just $1,195! ^^^

Would give me a mini 3.5 day vacation in Panama to check it out (never been there before) and then upon my return to Honolulu, I'd probably stay in Hawaii for a week and make a vacation out of it before heading home. And my flight to and from HNL to start the trip would give me the remaining 3K EQPs I need for the 25K EXP challenge quota.

Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:49 am
Original Poster

OK, found an even better one! I think I'm going to book this! Honolulu to PTY and back, through NYC. 22K EQPs for just $1,195! ^^^

OK, just booked the above. 21,810 EQPs for $1,195. All first and biz class travel. Not bad, I think?

And then my BOI to HNL routing will push me across the finish line to 25,140 EQPs! All told, cost me $1,800 to earn these 25K EQPs for EXP and I get a free vacation to Hawaii and Panama City. Will spend 3.5 days in Panama and a week in Hawaii after returning from Panama before flying home.

And I'll earn 47K miles on this route. Since every 12,500 miles are worth/save me $300 on average, that's nearly $1,200 in value. So EFFECTIVELY, this only cost me about 600 bucks.

600 bucks for Executive Platinum status? I'll take it!

Here's my crazy 22,000 mile VERY direct to Panama, 52 flying hours route!

Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:36 pm

Impressive! You're gonna need those few days in PTY to recover!

Thanks for sharing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.