Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] DL: MIA-PEK ~$1842ai (Business) (other AA hubs available)

Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

DL: MIA-PEK ~$1842ai (P,Z) (Business) (other AA hubs available: DFW,PHL,CLT,PHX,ORD-PEK)

Sample:
Dec 3-7 MIA-DTW-PEK-DTW-MIA ~$1842ai (P,Z) (15518mi ~11.2cpm)

-PERMITTED 04SEP 15 THROUGH 31DEC 15 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
-PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
-TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE No EARLIER THAN 4 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
-2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH DIRECTION AT THE GATEWAY IN AREA 3 AT USD 100.00 EACH.
-TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 6 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
-FOR ROUND TRIP FARES.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
that's a nice fare! Hope UA will match!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:46 pm

Nice find! Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:53 pm

cf would you mind explaining to a noob, why is it so desirable for UA to match this fare ? Is it because that is the airline with which you usually accumulate miles ? Or because you live in or close by to one of their hubs ? Or are the UA planes or business class better ?

Just wondering. For me, since I am in SAN, I would probably try to figure out how to get over to PHX for this great deal, although of course SAN or LAX would be more convenient.

Seems like a great price. I'm headed to Hong Kong a year from now for a conference and so if there is a nice fare nearby I might take it, if there is some way to work it in.

Another question, how might the stopovers work on this ? Would one route the trip through other cities to which DL flies, then ultimately wind up in PEK ? What I'm asking is if someone wanted to make an interesting vacation out of this and to visit say Japan or Hawaii, or Singapore etc., would those stopover rules make it somehow possible to do that ?

I know, those are total noob questions and I'm a little embarrassed to be asking, but I know if I don't ask I for sure will not get an answer !

So thanks !

:-:^
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:57 pm

CokeandTaco delivers again! One of my favorites to follow! Seriously looking into this.

~24k MQM

Another sample:
11/12-11/26 MIA-DET-PEK, PEK-SEA-ATL-MIA ~$1846 ai (P,Z)
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: DL DM
Gone? I cant seem to find this anywhere...
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by albert436
cf would you mind explaining to a noob, why is it so desirable for UA to match this fare ? Is it because that is the airline with which you usually accumulate miles ? Or because you live in or close by to one of their hubs ? Or are the UA planes or business class better ?
The commenter probably collects status miles in a Star Alliance carrier. Personally I use SAS Eurobonus for status, based on my own circumstance. To each their own. UA planes are rarely better...

Just wondering. For me, since I am in SAN, I would probably try to figure out how to get over to PHX for this great deal, although of course SAN or LAX would be more convenient.
I used to live in SAN. Sometimes I would book flights out of LAS and position for $27 with Spirit. Sometimes out of LAX and I'd train, one-way rental car, or use Avios to position. I moved before PHX became a OneWorld hub, but probably Avios or Southwest would be good for positioning. Maybe even you could try booking the return xxx-LAX-PHX and walk away from the last segment (though this is technically against program rules)

Another question, how might the stopovers work on this ? Would one route the trip through other cities to which DL flies, then ultimately wind up in PEK ? What I'm asking is if someone wanted to make an interesting vacation out of this and to visit say Japan or Hawaii, or Singapore etc., would those stopover rules make it somehow possible to do that ?
From the rules that CokeandTaco posted (thanks again!!) it appears stopovers are allowed at the Asian gateway city, for $100 each. So if you fly xxx-NRT-PEK you could stop in Tokyo or if you fly xxx-ICN-PEK you could stop in Seoul. You could even do both, but each stopover adds $100 to the fare. For fares like this, it's a pretty good deal, especially if you actually need to be in Tokyo, for example, you could use the stopover as your primary destination.

Welcome to flyertalk. When I keep an open mind I learn the most.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by thepaul500
Gone? I cant seem to find this anywhere...
Me neither.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I'm thinking that it was a mistake fare. No way DL is gonna offer a fare to China from the east coast for that cheap fare.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:36 am

Thumbs up

Thanks WT. Speaking of positioning and the train, a friend learned he can park at the train station in Solana Beach and leave his car there for free if he is taking the train/bus combo to LAX. (I wouldn't necessarily want to leave my car there but they do have security.)

"The Asian gateway city" means any city through which you can manage to book your flight, so long as it ends up in PEK ? I think I get it. For me not so much as a need, but a way to see two different places on one faraway vacation journey. You could have a stopover each way, so could the stopovers be in different gateway cities, eg. NRT and HGK or SIN ?

Really interesting.

I read a three part tutorial on ITA yesterday. I actually understand about 82% of it. I'm just wondering if people are using brute force trial and error to find these fares, or are they coming across them by accident ?

Thanks !

:-::-::-::-::-:
That was a five star reply and seriously I do appreciate it.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:36 am

I missed the boat again... grrrr
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
I believe it has been unavailable for a while. Checked last night around 11:30 ET, and the itinerary initially showed ~$1800, but re-priced as soon as it went to the final page on dl.dumb! Fantastic fare though, thanks OP!

Was anyone able to ticket it? Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks WT. Speaking of positioning and the train, a friend learned he can park at the train station in Solana Beach and leave his car there for free if he is taking the train/bus combo to LAX. (I wouldn't necessarily want to leave my car there but they do have security.)

"The Asian gateway city" means any city through which you can manage to book your flight, so long as it ends up in PEK ? I think I get it. For me not so much as a need, but a way to see two different places on one faraway vacation journey. You could have a stopover each way, so could the stopovers be in different gateway cities, eg. NRT and HGK or SIN ?

Really interesting.

I read a three part tutorial on ITA yesterday. I actually understand about 82% of it. I'm just wondering if people are using brute force trial and error to find these fares, or are they coming across them by accident ?

Thanks !

:-::-::-::-::-:
That was a five star reply and seriously I do appreciate it.
AFAIK you can do the stopover along a legal routing, which would normally be up to one (different or the same) in each direction, for instance ICN and NRT. However, if you must fly DL metal, this would limit the choices, probably to nothing, since IIRC DL no longer even operates NRT-PEK. SIN would probably not be allowed; HKG is probably OK using CZ or MU flights if they can be part of an itinerary on this fare.

Asian gateway probably means a DL or partner hub for SkyTeam flights in Asia.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Aeroplan
Maybe not a mistake fare?

I was seriously looking at this until I fell asleep, and priced it through DFW, ORD, and MIA (but not PHX ), and I am not certain it is a mistake fare. My take is that AA and DL are using Tuesdays to test the waters (remember last week's LHR opportunities out of LAX) and see if they can't fill some under utilized capacity at these lower rates, while at the same time keeping the offer periods very short so they don't cannibalize their high revenue business clientele. Of course, trying to get into the midset of the airline pricing structure people is sort of like going down the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland.

__________________________________________________ _________________
Next Trip: SEA-LAX-SJO (Inaugural AS flight) - SJO-LAX-SEA
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I think this could be right. We've seen two years in a row now where there have been sub-$2k flash sales US-EU around this time of year. I'm convinced based on my own understanding of reduced business (and business class) travel in my industry, that even with reduced capacity, things are grim for the airlines in the J cabin. I usually look for $2200 for J sales to Asia, so I wonder if $1850 was testing for a new bottom?

Originally Posted by wonderlaw
I was seriously looking at this until I fell asleep, and priced it through DFW, ORD, and MIA (but not PHX ), and I am not certain it is a mistake fare. My take is that AA and DL are using Tuesdays to test the waters (remember last week's LHR opportunities out of LAX) and see if they can't fill some under utilized capacity at these lower rates, while at the same time keeping the offer periods very short so they don't cannibalize their high revenue business clientele. Of course, trying to get into the midset of the airline pricing structure people is sort of like going down the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland.

__________________________________________________ _________________
Next Trip: SEA-LAX-SJO (Inaugural AS flight) - SJO-LAX-SEA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.