Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

J fare significantly cheaper out of Canada than US for numerous int'l destinations

J fare significantly cheaper out of Canada than US for numerous int'l destinations

Old Aug 23, 15, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

I fly out of ORD, but recently found that YYZ (and other Canadian airports) are much cheaper for premium fares. See below for a table I started compiling.

All fares are cheapest all-in business class round trip fare found on google flights over the next 6 months, so specific dates could be higher.

For me, ORD-YYZ is $600 RT in business class and just a 1.5 hour direct flight. It seems like it's therefore a no brainer for some of the larger price discrepancies, such as the $3k savings for Johannesburg or $2.5k savings for Melbourne. Similar savings can be achieved out of YVR/YUL if you live on the east/west coast.

Anyway, this may be old news for some but thought I'd share. I do have a question for the veterans though--how easy (if it's even possible) to marry together two round trips if I go through with this? Say I book ORD-SYD on United and book a separate YYZ-ORD on United, would I be able to call reservations up and merge into a single ticke (so if YYZ-ORD segment gets delayed they'd accommodate me for the ORD-SYD one)? What about if it's two airlines but in the same alliance, so say United and Swiss?
Old Aug 23, 15, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by accrue450 View Post

For me, ORD-YYZ is $600 RT in business class and just a 1.5 hour direct flight.
Why would you book in J for a 1.5 hour flight? You could save another $300 or so.
Old Aug 23, 15, 10:02 pm

Programs: QF WP, CX SL
Didn't know there is an airport in Kyoto, Japan.
I guess the nearest airport should be Osaka.
Old Aug 23, 15, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mleung89 View Post
Didn't know there is an airport in Kyoto, Japan.
I guess the nearest airport should be Osaka.
Osaka and Kyoto share the Kansai Airport ^
Old Aug 23, 15, 10:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Could make a good mileage run but from YVR a lot of the flights are AF Z so wouldn't earn many miles for me. Might be good for some though.
Old Aug 24, 15, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
This is a well-known fact. A friend of mine MR's from Seattle and he just drives up to YVR to save thousands.

YVR-CTU in UA-P is in the low $2k range.. always. Just be careful with two things:

1. Make sure you can actually book it at that price. UAbomb may reprice based on your location. Maybe a Canadian OTA might price it in CAD and you get a great rate as the USD stays where it's at.

2. Know your mileage accruals. Intra Canada flights, or AC, etc. earn variable rates.
Old Aug 24, 15, 1:57 pm

Programs: *G
well there also IS a sale going on.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...900-rt-ai.html

and numerous other ex-CAN deal threads in the premium fare forum.
Old Aug 24, 15, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Tblack15 View Post
This is a well-known fact. A friend of mine MR's from Seattle and he just drives up to YVR to save thousands.

YVR-CTU in UA-P is in the low $2k range.. always. Just be careful with two things:

1. Make sure you can actually book it at that price. UAbomb may reprice based on your location. Maybe a Canadian OTA might price it in CAD and you get a great rate as the USD stays where it's at.

2. Know your mileage accruals. Intra Canada flights, or AC, etc. earn variable rates.
Yes indeed. I live in upstate NY so JFK and YYZ are the same time for me. I fly out of YYZ a lot, especially on EK and DL.

TFD
Old Aug 24, 15, 6:42 pm

Be careful: Iceland Air, Sata and Air Transat; J=PY
Old Aug 24, 15, 6:54 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
All fares are cheapest all-in business class round trip fare found on google flights over the next 6 months, so specific dates could be higher.

For me, ORD-YYZ is $600 RT in business class and just a 1.5 hour direct flight. It seems like it's therefore a no brainer for some of the larger price discrepancies, such as the $3k savings for Johannesburg or $2.5k savings for Melbourne. Similar savings can be achieved out of YVR/YUL if you live on the east/west coast.
Thanks for posting this info. I am curious to the source you used to arrive at these prices, and whether there is the possibility to select flight searches via a pull down menu, as you have in your table listing the fares.
Old Aug 24, 15, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chitownflyer View Post
Thanks for posting this info. I am curious to the source you used to arrive at these prices, and whether there is the possibility to select flight searches via a pull down menu, as you have in your table listing the fares.
I just used google flights and manually searched the origin/destination one by one--if there is a better way to monitor J fares I'm all ears!
Old Aug 24, 15, 7:07 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Could partly be explained by 1 USD = 1.33 CAD. Compared to last year, prices in CAD stayed similar while prices in USD declined.
Old Aug 24, 15, 7:19 pm

Are you comparing the same airlines out of ORD and YYZ? Or are these apples and oranges?
Old Aug 24, 15, 7:35 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by famosa View Post
Are you comparing the same airlines out of ORD and YYZ? Or are these apples and oranges?
Skyteam:

ex-YVR
KLM J, 1878.- USD
AF J, 1878.- USD

ex-west coast USA
KLM J: 3306.- USD
DL J: 3306.- USD

*A
ex-YVR:
AC J, LX J, LH J, OS J, UA J: between 1900.- USD and 2000.- USD

ex-west coast USA:
LH J, UA J, LX J, OS J from the west coast USA: ~3270.- usd

so... yah. I picked Vienna as a random example, works for many other European cities.
Old Aug 24, 15, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Say I book ORD-SYD on United and book a separate YYZ-ORD on United, would I be able to call reservations up and merge into a single ticke (so if YYZ-ORD segment gets delayed they'd accommodate me for the ORD-SYD one)? What about if it's two airlines but in the same alliance, so say United and Swiss?
No. Once separate, always separate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: