Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

J fare significantly cheaper out of Canada than US for numerous int'l destinations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J fare significantly cheaper out of Canada than US for numerous int'l destinations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Buzzman
no guaranty of upgrade.. Rather spend the extra, get the extra bonus premier qualifying miles and guaranteed J seating..
Yes agree it is the no guarantee that is the deal killer for me.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Found it.

Last edited by TomA; Aug 31, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:58 pm

So glad I saw this- flying to Delhi from Toronto is about $1400 cheaper than from Colorado. So even adding separate tickets back and forth to Toronto we are still way ahead. I was able to do as well on prices as one of the big business class consolidators- a few dollars better in fact.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:01 pm

I''m just finding the consolidators, are their prices supposed to be good ? One of them had a little note about the tickets may not originate in the US which I took to mean they booked them from overseas, thereby avoiding the "cartel" pricing. But I can't seem to find that site any more ! Hope this wasn't too off-topic but yes even though this is old hat to the veterans there are still some of us noobs to whom this is pure gold !

Waldo did you just google the flights and presto there it was, or did you have to do some special sleuthing to find it ?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
Originally Posted by albert436
I''m just finding the consolidators, are their prices supposed to be good ? One of them had a little note about the tickets may not originate in the US which I took to mean they booked them from overseas, thereby avoiding the "cartel" pricing. But I can't seem to find that site any more ! Hope this wasn't too off-topic but yes even though this is old hat to the veterans there are still some of us noobs to whom this is pure gold !

Waldo did you just google the flights and presto there it was, or did you have to do some special sleuthing to find it ?
All of this may seem overwhelming at first but it really isn't. Few basics you need to understand is... All published fares are well published on GDS. Nobody has any better deal to offer you than what the airline wants for it. consolidators don't speak to end customers and one's who say yes they do. well they lie.

Here is what I do.

Find all the published fares at expertflyer but you can't book them. So once you know what is available you start your well informed search from that point. next you wanna see which origin point has it cheaper. once you got that you use google flights as well as ITA matrix to find what you saw on expertflyer. same fare basic might only be available for few days of a month as other dates could be booked etc. so you also play around with dates and on expertflyer you can also see booking condition. Sometimes have advance booking notice.

Note:- Airlines may also have coupons available which won't be applied on 3rd party booking so you also need to check what the airline is offering directly. Etihad in the past have offered coupons of 10% to 30% off all classes. so that's something you can't see on GDS.

I've skipped a lot of details which I am sure others can chime in on. Anyway that's the basics of it.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:31 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by malgudi
UA doesn't fly YVR-CDG ... what am I missing?
It was YVR-ORD-CDG and return the same way... all UA metal..
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:20 am

YYZ-PRG $1763.30 on J

YYZ-PRG $1763.30 on J
Dec 9th - May 14th
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wow, glad i found this thread! I am thinking about doing YYZ-DEL return in J and using UA miles for a return on Air Canada for IAH-YYZ. Any advice on doing this since it will be separate itineraries? If I stick to Air Canada the whole way I think I should be OK re: delays causing a missed flight, etc.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by rkj2106
Wow, glad i found this thread! I am thinking about doing YYZ-DEL return in J and using UA miles for a return on Air Canada for IAH-YYZ. Any advice on doing this since it will be separate itineraries? If I stick to Air Canada the whole way I think I should be OK re: delays causing a missed flight, etc.
AC is a very difficult airline to deal with, however since your reward ticket is with UA miles, UA are often very helpful when you get a sked change even with a different airline.
AC is horrible in helping out even with its own schedule changes.
Often these DEL flight let you book yyz-ewr-del you would be much safer doing that, then UA is great about sked changes. in fact they would let you fly IAH-EWR-DEL if you get a sked change At times I LOVE UA sked changes!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
AC is a very difficult airline to deal with, however since your reward ticket is with UA miles, UA are often very helpful when you get a sked change even with a different airline.
AC is horrible in helping out even with its own schedule changes.
Often these DEL flight let you book yyz-ewr-del you would be much safer doing that, then UA is great about sked changes. in fact they would let you fly IAH-EWR-DEL if you get a sked change At times I LOVE UA sked changes!
Ok, thanks good to know! I am finding UA YYZ-EWR-DEL in the same price range but with a very short connection at EWR (57 mins). A bit nervous about making that connection. Have you done this routing?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by rkj2106
Ok, thanks good to know! I am finding UA YYZ-EWR-DEL in the same price range but with a very short connection at EWR (57 mins). A bit nervous about making that connection. Have you done this routing?
I was researching going through EWR to BOM and found that most of the Canada-EWR flights are often late, so best check the flight's reliability on FlightStats or other websites before booking - *if* you really want to make that connection - otherwise book an earlier flight.

This is why I ended up not routing through EWR, but went Canada-Europe-BOM on the outbound. (And then the AC flight to Europe ended up departing an hour later!)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
@rkj2106 Can you get the same fare on LH or LX? I've flown UA, LH and LX J. Personally, I would take either LH or LX over UA (assuming all LH is now in their new J seats).
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
@rkj2106 Can you get the same fare on LH or LX? I've flown UA, LH and LX J. Personally, I would take either LH or LX over UA (assuming all LH is now in their new J seats).
Don't forget OS - probably even better than LX
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by scibuff
Don't forget OS - probably even better than LX
Quite true!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:53 am

Thanks for the info! Will try and play around with my dates to see if I can get LH or LX via Europe. I also noticed that AC now has a new non-stop to DEL on their 787 but the lower fares don't seem to hold for that flight. Not traveling until late November so have sometime to watch the fares before pulling the trigger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.