Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: footastic
Sequence of events:

American Airlines (AA) Brazil website misprices revenue tickets in initial calculation on purchase page. Repricing the same reservation by changing billing country resulted in the correct price, even when reverting to Brazil.

Vast majority of tickets appear to have gone unticketed for ~1 week. It appears that tickets were issued manually, not automatically.

AA states repeatedly and to several outlets that they will unconditionally honor all fares.

AA begins cancelling tickets. Subsequently, they send out cancellation emails implying that the "country of residence" was misrepresented. Of course, this is not the case, as AA never actually asks for the "country of residence" but the billing address which includes the country of the billing address.

Since AA repeatedly and publicly stated that they would unconditionally honor the tickets, even when specifically asked about it, many purchasers relied upon AA's representations and made non-refundable plans. DoT regulations require airlines to reimburse purchasers who relied upon mistake fares to make non-refundable plans. It may be worth writing into the US Department of Transportation (DoT) to complain about AA's handling of the situation and ask for compensation even without having non-refundable reservations, because AA went to great lengths to assure purchasers that tickets would be unconditionally honored.

DoT air travel complaint form: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

DoT air travel complaint mailing address:
Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590

DoT air travel complain phone line information:
You may call the ACPD 24 hours a day at 202-366-2220 (TTY 202-366-0511) to record your complaint. Calls are returned Monday through Friday, generally between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time.

As mentioned by classyflyer and posted by pb9997, if your flight had some kind of legal nexus within Brazil, their consumer protections should apply to your ticket. Here is the contact information for the relevant consumer protection agencies within Brazil. Please be clear in your communication and REMEMBER TO SUBMIT YOUR COMMUNICATIONS IN PORTUGESE.

To translate your communications before submitting them:
http://translate.google.com

www.reclameaqui.com.br
Quote from pb9997: "This site is known to be the most popular, most viewed upon by companies who care about reputation; Though not official, it has proven to be the most respected by consumers and corporations, who may delay answers on their own channels but do take care to have teams focused on answering for this public site. Information written, from both parties, is public."

www.consumidor.gov.br
Quote again from pb9997: "This is the official PROCON site where consumers and companies present their complaints and arguments. It is official, additional care ought to be taken.

I would highly suggest following the order presented; With the first site the company has room to assess impact, prepare an amiable answer and protect their public reputation.

On the second site... well, it's official and what is written by both parties is the basis to act afterwards in a court of law. Ideally the complaint presented should have the Law that explains why a consumer has been impacted and the expected remedy, according [sic] to the Law."

As of 9/8/15 - Individuals who had tickets cancelled in the first round (8/28) have yet to see refunds post to credit cards.

Feel free to update this Wiki with more complete information.
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flipside
Just a quick clarification, it's free to landlines. If the number starts with a 7 8 or 9 (after the state code, ie 11 for sao paulo 21 for Rio etc) then it's a cell phone and it's anywhere from 15-20 cents a minute.
Correct - The Brazil AA numbers listed couple of pages ago should be landlines so no problem.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: AAplat HHgold
Originally Posted by chintanshah123

I intend to call AA US a bunch more times to clarify its policy. I would really rather not poke the bear for a couple of months by calling AA Brazil to add the lap infant any time soon.

Why, oh why did I not just book a third seat!
I promise you that is not the case. I added an infant to the PEK fare and got the same answers the whole way from AAgents that it would be 10% of what I paid. When I went to pull the trigger to ticket the infant they wanted almost $600. They based the fate off the current business fare which was close to $5k and taxes. I told the phone agent that that was more than I paid for my own business class ticket. Then spoke with a supervisor and they gave me a better rate because of the amount of business I gave to AA. I paid approx $360 to add an infant to a $450 fare. I definitely learned my lesson to always book children everyone when booking these fares. If you have any more questions you can dm chintan.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
Ligue por favor ao:

Săo Paulo: (11)-4502-4000
Rio de Janeiro: (21)-4502-5005
Outras cidades: 0300-7897778

Country code is +55. I called the Rio number.

Everything's ticketed here.

Muito obrigado to the OP and to AA!
If you are calling right now, patience is recommended -- spent 30 minutes on hold with Rio. Although, it only took 1-2 minutes to get the agent to re-queue the ticket with same credit card info. The date on the ticket changed to today, the price remained the same -- hoping for the best.

P.S. My second ticket for a much earlier travel date is still pending with no attempted charge.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:11 pm

Still waiting on two tickets as well. Fingers crossed guys.

Edit: One ticketed at 9pm CST. One to go.

Last edited by IancoleTX; Aug 24, 2015 at 8:52 pm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:32 pm

I have a schedule: GRU-JFK-HKG-JFK-GRU in May/2016, F Full Flexible fare.
Any ideas about the charges for changes of the dates, routes or destination?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Who has the rules of this fare? I wonder if re-routing is allowed without any penalty.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I was told to check back on Wednesday and they would have a decision on change fees, etc...
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by singal3
I was told to check back on Wednesday and they would have a decision on change fees, etc...
Keep us posted, if I could change for a couple hundred without paying fare difference, I will definitely want to do that on one of the itineraries.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Still waiting here in London... 0/1 tickets issued :/
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: QF LTG

Last edited by PbodyPhoto; Aug 30, 2015 at 4:58 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: AA Plat
Still waiting for my tix to issue. I checked my email/spam folder and called my bank to ensure the txn hadn't been flagged for fraud.

2 tickets from CLE to OGG for July travel. Booked them about 5 mins before the deal died.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:41 am

ugh, my pending charge just dropped. any ideas?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:22 am

Delete

Last edited by alexsherrick; Aug 31, 2015 at 10:55 am Reason: Because
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by JamilD
It's been 24 hours since I re-queued my ticket after a CC decline. Just called AA Brazil, apparently it's still in the queue -- the agent said to give it another day or so.
Ticketed this morning! Seeing two pending charges for the same amount, hope one of them drops
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA - if you don't want me to call and bother you, how about maybe an email update that I'm in the queue and I will be processed within a day or two?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.