Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: footastic
Sequence of events:

American Airlines (AA) Brazil website misprices revenue tickets in initial calculation on purchase page. Repricing the same reservation by changing billing country resulted in the correct price, even when reverting to Brazil.

Vast majority of tickets appear to have gone unticketed for ~1 week. It appears that tickets were issued manually, not automatically.

AA states repeatedly and to several outlets that they will unconditionally honor all fares.

AA begins cancelling tickets. Subsequently, they send out cancellation emails implying that the "country of residence" was misrepresented. Of course, this is not the case, as AA never actually asks for the "country of residence" but the billing address which includes the country of the billing address.

Since AA repeatedly and publicly stated that they would unconditionally honor the tickets, even when specifically asked about it, many purchasers relied upon AA's representations and made non-refundable plans. DoT regulations require airlines to reimburse purchasers who relied upon mistake fares to make non-refundable plans. It may be worth writing into the US Department of Transportation (DoT) to complain about AA's handling of the situation and ask for compensation even without having non-refundable reservations, because AA went to great lengths to assure purchasers that tickets would be unconditionally honored.

DoT air travel complaint form: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

DoT air travel complaint mailing address:
Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590

DoT air travel complain phone line information:
You may call the ACPD 24 hours a day at 202-366-2220 (TTY 202-366-0511) to record your complaint. Calls are returned Monday through Friday, generally between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time.

As mentioned by classyflyer and posted by pb9997, if your flight had some kind of legal nexus within Brazil, their consumer protections should apply to your ticket. Here is the contact information for the relevant consumer protection agencies within Brazil. Please be clear in your communication and REMEMBER TO SUBMIT YOUR COMMUNICATIONS IN PORTUGESE.

To translate your communications before submitting them:
http://translate.google.com

www.reclameaqui.com.br
Quote from pb9997: "This site is known to be the most popular, most viewed upon by companies who care about reputation; Though not official, it has proven to be the most respected by consumers and corporations, who may delay answers on their own channels but do take care to have teams focused on answering for this public site. Information written, from both parties, is public."

www.consumidor.gov.br
Quote again from pb9997: "This is the official PROCON site where consumers and companies present their complaints and arguments. It is official, additional care ought to be taken.

I would highly suggest following the order presented; With the first site the company has room to assess impact, prepare an amiable answer and protect their public reputation.

On the second site... well, it's official and what is written by both parties is the basis to act afterwards in a court of law. Ideally the complaint presented should have the Law that explains why a consumer has been impacted and the expected remedy, according [sic] to the Law."

As of 9/8/15 - Individuals who had tickets cancelled in the first round (8/28) have yet to see refunds post to credit cards.

Feel free to update this Wiki with more complete information.
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:59 pm

I can't pull up my res. guessing tickets won't get issued
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by citsfo
Try again. I have had this issue on and off. I think that it is more of a system error than them pulling the reservations ... at least for now.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerJT
You are still getting AA to reprice at the booking stage? I'm getting the following error:

Erro de Sistema
Este recurso năo está disponível no momento. Aguarde alguns instantes e tente novamente.
Se precisar de assistęncia imediata:

Para obter ajuda com uma reserva existente, entre em contato com a Central de Reservas pelo telefone: ..............

OR, in English

System Error
This feature is currently unavailable . Wait for a while and try again.
If you need immediate assistance :

For help with an existing reservation , please contact the Central Reservation by phone : ...........

I am getting the price and also purchased but need to check if i get a email.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:04 pm

I hope those misrepresenting their country of residence get sued by AA for fraud. Then you are going to find out how fun this game really is.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by citsfo
Mine comes up.

Still don't think it'll get issued.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Apologist
I hope those misrepresenting their country of residence get sued by AA for fraud. Then you are going to find out how fun this game really is.
Gotta love FlyerTalk!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
UA is giving up to a million miles for finding errors with their IT system... We are just doing AA a favor
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
me too. would love to watch how record-profiting giant corporation sues small time airline geeks plays out in court *grabs popcorn*
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:09 pm

How are you guys getting past the AA.com.br error message now?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:12 pm

"How are you guys getting past the AA.com.br error message now?"

I hit back on my browser.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, A3 Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I´m always getting
Comece novamente.

Algumas alteraçőes que vocę possa ter realizado năo foram salvas...
Pode ter ocorrido um intervalo de tempo muito grande entre as entradas
Vocę pode ter aberto mais de um navegador
Um link do favoritos pode ter expirado
O botăo voltar pode ter causado um problema
when I´m trying to proceed the booking. Someone else too?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Miles & More, FlyingBlue, Iberia Plus Gold
UA's trolls are out again ? Times are getting tough!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold
Managed to book JFK-GIG-JFK in refundable J (one ticket) and GRU-JFK-HKG-JFK-GRU in refundable F (second ticket). Fingers crossed! Website was very very slow. Good luck to everyone still working on this!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Cara, ta tudo tranquilo! Relaxe e disfruta a vida!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, A3 Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Somebody how´s not getting kicked out all the time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.