Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: footastic
Sequence of events:

American Airlines (AA) Brazil website misprices revenue tickets in initial calculation on purchase page. Repricing the same reservation by changing billing country resulted in the correct price, even when reverting to Brazil.

Vast majority of tickets appear to have gone unticketed for ~1 week. It appears that tickets were issued manually, not automatically.

AA states repeatedly and to several outlets that they will unconditionally honor all fares.

AA begins cancelling tickets. Subsequently, they send out cancellation emails implying that the "country of residence" was misrepresented. Of course, this is not the case, as AA never actually asks for the "country of residence" but the billing address which includes the country of the billing address.

Since AA repeatedly and publicly stated that they would unconditionally honor the tickets, even when specifically asked about it, many purchasers relied upon AA's representations and made non-refundable plans. DoT regulations require airlines to reimburse purchasers who relied upon mistake fares to make non-refundable plans. It may be worth writing into the US Department of Transportation (DoT) to complain about AA's handling of the situation and ask for compensation even without having non-refundable reservations, because AA went to great lengths to assure purchasers that tickets would be unconditionally honored.

DoT air travel complaint form: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

DoT air travel complaint mailing address:
Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590

DoT air travel complain phone line information:
You may call the ACPD 24 hours a day at 202-366-2220 (TTY 202-366-0511) to record your complaint. Calls are returned Monday through Friday, generally between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time.

As mentioned by classyflyer and posted by pb9997, if your flight had some kind of legal nexus within Brazil, their consumer protections should apply to your ticket. Here is the contact information for the relevant consumer protection agencies within Brazil. Please be clear in your communication and REMEMBER TO SUBMIT YOUR COMMUNICATIONS IN PORTUGESE.

To translate your communications before submitting them:
http://translate.google.com

www.reclameaqui.com.br
Quote from pb9997: "This site is known to be the most popular, most viewed upon by companies who care about reputation; Though not official, it has proven to be the most respected by consumers and corporations, who may delay answers on their own channels but do take care to have teams focused on answering for this public site. Information written, from both parties, is public."

www.consumidor.gov.br
Quote again from pb9997: "This is the official PROCON site where consumers and companies present their complaints and arguments. It is official, additional care ought to be taken.

I would highly suggest following the order presented; With the first site the company has room to assess impact, prepare an amiable answer and protect their public reputation.

On the second site... well, it's official and what is written by both parties is the basis to act afterwards in a court of law. Ideally the complaint presented should have the Law that explains why a consumer has been impacted and the expected remedy, according [sic] to the Law."

As of 9/8/15 - Individuals who had tickets cancelled in the first round (8/28) have yet to see refunds post to credit cards.

Feel free to update this Wiki with more complete information.
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Had 2 of 3 tickets issued with no problem over the weekend, but then my third (which I booked later than the first two) had been On Request since last week and apparently hit a snag overnight, as I had the "credit card issue" message from AA Brazil sitting in my inbox this morning.

Called Citibank, who said they had no charge attempted, which was a bit odd, so then called AA Brazil this morning, spent 20 minutes on hold and another 15 minutes confirming credit card with the agent for resubmission. Just checked Citibank online and see another authorization, so hopefully goes through this time.

Agent acknowledged the "great fare deal" and said they are trying to get all ticketed by end of the week, but that "many reservations had credit card issues".

Update: about 20 minutes after call, I just saw that the charge just hit my Citibank card and now shows as ticketed on AA.com. Much quicker than expected.

Last edited by olimaspecto; Aug 26, 2015 at 9:24 am
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG G
Originally Posted by citsfo
what fare class are your tickets?
All segments are in I .

I've read that by the 26th AA will decide if the ticket actually "worth" the price they intended or what we actually paid for it.
So today I tried calling again to change AA HKG-DFW-GRU to CX(on AA codeshare)HKG-JFK-GRU and was told the same : "since you booked a special sale,it's a coach ticket but you're allowed to sit in business" . didn't argue but sounded like a complete bs..

Did people who flew already got 2x/3x EQPs ?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
Finally! My GRU-HKG itinerary got ticketed, card charged. No email notification though, but I see ticket number on my AA account.

Travel in May 2016, used my brazilian address but the card used is not from Brazil.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I JUST GOT TICKETED!!! WOOOOOO.

Didn't call or anything. DO NOT CALL.

Just to confirm though on my e-ticket email, the figure charged is $ 1296.39... I'm guessing that means Brazilian Real and not USD right? How is everyone else's shown?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:15 am

When I was booking my original ticket, the website crashed out on the last stage. Assuming it didn't go through, I when through the process to book it again (which got ticketed). As it happens, the first booking did go through and this morning I got a call from my bank saying they didn't approved a suspicious purchase. I checked my email and got a letter from AA brazil. Since this is a duplicate booking for me, can I call them and have the name changed to my friend?

The ticket it currently pending.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Gaz1a
I JUST GOT TICKETED!!! WOOOOOO.

Didn't call or anything. Just to confirm on my e-ticket, the figure charged is $ 1296.39... I'm guessing that means Brazilian Real and not USD right? How is everyone else's shown?
Same as u. Cc showing correct amount in usd.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by delusion
Same as u. Cc showing correct amount in usd.
If you don't mind me asking, how much were you charged in USD?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by delusion
Agreed, AA handle this case nicely and always my favorite airline.

A BIG thanks again to OP, flipside, let's have a drink next March when we visit Rio de Janeiro next March? (we owe you a drink )
Ironically, Flipside may need AA because of all of this AA.

But genuinely: Thanks Flipside!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
So I was ticketed and saw two pending charges on my account (for one ticket). Both of them just dropped off, nothing was charged to my CC, and the reservation remains Ticketed.

Should I call AA? Will they end up charging my card later on?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: dont matter anymore...
So here's a data point.. One of my GRU-HKG flights has the fares rules. It says I class on the reservation page, but the fare basis code is VLE93DQ1/LAUP

Code:
Seasonality	SEASONALITY - FROM BRAZIL - PERMITTED 13JAN THROUGH 03FEB OR 07FEB THROUGH 29JUN OR 19JUL THROUGH 15DEC FOR EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR. SEASON IS BASED ON TRIP DATE. TO BRAZIL - PERMITTED 13JAN THROUGH 11FEB OR 16FEB THROUGH 14JUL OR 06AUG THROUGH 31DEC FOR EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR. SEASON IS BASED ON TRIP DATE.
Day Time Application	   DAY/TIME - NO DAY/TIME TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS APPLY.
Advance Reservation Ticketing Restrictions	ADVANCE RESERVATIONS/TICKETING - CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 28 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE. STANDBY NOT PERMITTED. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 3 DAYS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 28 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER.
Surcharges	SURCHARGES - IF INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2. OR - CONTRACT BULK INFANT PSGR UNDER 2. OR - MILITARY INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT UNDER 2. OR - INCLUSIVE TOUR INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2. SECURITY SURCHARGE OF HKD 45 PER COUPON WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ANY PASSENGER FOR DEPARTURE FROM/TO/VIA HKG AIRPORT. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS SECURITY SURCHARGE APPLIES TO - 1/ INFANTS. 2/ PASSENGERS TRANSFERRING/TRANSITING HONG KONG. 3/ PASSENGERS TRAVELLING ON INDUSTRY/AGENCY DISCOUNT /ID/AD/ TICKETS. 4/ PASSENGERS HOLDING DIPLOMATIC PASSPORTS. THE PROVISIONS BELOW APPLY ONLY AS FOLLOWS - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR US. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR AY. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR BA. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR IB. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR JL. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR QF. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR LX. THERE IS NO MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE PER FARE COMPONENT PER ANY PASSENGER FOR DEPARTURE OF TRANSPACIFIC SECTORS. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. YR FEE MAY APPLY AND - SECURITY SURCHARGE OF HKD 45 PER COUPON WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ANY PASSENGER FOR DEPARTURE FROM/TO/VIA HKG AIRPORT. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS SECURITY SURCHARGE APPLIES TO - 1/ PASSENGERS TRANSFERRING/TRANSITING HONG KONG. 2/ PASSENGERS TRAVELLING ON INDUSTRY/AGENCY DISCOUNT /ID/AD/ TICKETS. 3/ PASSENGERS HOLDING DIPLOMATIC PASSPORTS. OTHERWISE - ORIGINATING BRAZIL - THERE IS NO MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE PER FARE COMPONENT PER ANY PASSENGER FOR DEPARTURE OF TRANSPACIFIC SECTORS. AND - ORIGINATING HONG KONG SAR CHINA - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF HKD 218 PER FARE ' COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ANY PASSENGER FOR DEPARTURE OF TRANSPACIFIC SECTORS. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS SURCHARGE APPLIES IN ADDITION TO ALL OTHER CHARGES AND IS NOT SUBJECT TO ANY DISCOUNT. THIS SURCHARGE WILL NOT APPLY TO PASSENGERS TRAVELLING ON FREE TICKETS. AND - SECURITY SURCHARGE OF HKD 45 PER COUPON WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ANY PASSENGER FOR DEPARTURE FROM/TO/VIA HKG AIRPORT. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS SECURITY SURCHARGE APPLIES TO - 1/ PASSENGERS TRANSFERRING/TRANSITING HONG KONG. 2/ PASSENGERS TRAVELLING ON INDUSTRY/AGENCY DISCOUNT /ID/AD/ TICKETS. 3/ PASSENGERS HOLDING DIPLOMATIC PASSPORTS. FROM HKG TO GRU, SECTOR SURCHARGE OF HKD 45 APPLIES.
Maximum Stay	MAXIMUM STAY - NO MAXIMUM STAY REQUIREMENTS APPLY.
Eligibility	ELIGIBILITY - NO ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS APPLY.
Sales Restrictions	SALES RESTRICTIONS - FARE RULE TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 1/AREA 2/AREA 3. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS FARE MAY BE SOLD BY TRAVEL AGENTS. STANDARD COMMISSION RATES APPLY. TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR 1S AND MAY NOT BE SOLD IN AEN. AND MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 1/ AREA 2/AREA 3. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS FARE MAY BE SOLD BY TRAVEL AGENTS. STANDARD COMMISSION RATES APPLY. ADDITIONALLY, THE FOLLOWING RULES APPLY- **BASE FARE** FARE RULE TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED BY ELECTRONIC TICKETING. TICKETS MAY NOT BE SOLD IN VENEZUELA. TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 1/AREA 2/AREA 3.
Refunds Reissues	VOLUNTARY CHANGES - ENTER RD*31 OR RD'LINE NUM'*31 FOR VOLUNTARY CHGS.
Flight Applications	FLIGHT APPLICATION **FARE BY RULE** - FARE RULE THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING AA FLIGHTS 5600 THROUGH 8599. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA. ADDITIONALLY, THE FOLLOWING RULES APPLY- **BASE FARE** FARE RULE THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY WS. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY JL. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN UNITED STATES AND AREA 1 THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY US. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN AREA 3 THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY BR FLIGHT ANY CA FLIGHT ANY CI FLIGHT ANY CX FLIGHT ANY CZ FLIGHT ANY HU FLIGHT ANY KA FLIGHT ANY KE FLIGHT ANY JL FLIGHT ANY JQ FLIGHT ANY MH FLIGHT ANY MU FLIGHT ANY NU FLIGHT ANY OZ FLIGHT ANY PR FLIGHT ANY QF FLIGHT ANY SQ FLIGHT ANY TG FLIGHT ANY VN FLIGHT. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN SOUTH AMERICA THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT ANY LA FLIGHT ANY JJ FLIGHT.
Minimum Stay	MINIMUM STAY - TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 7 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
Embargo Dates	BLACKOUT DATES - NO BLACKOUT DATES APPLY.
Penalties	PENALTIES - CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW/ REFUND. WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. OR TRAVELING COMPANION. ---- FOR TRAVEL AGENCY BOOKINGS MADE IN MEXICO / THE CARIBBEAN / CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA - AA WILL ASSESS A USD 25.00 FEE ON ANY UNTICKETED RESERVATION NOT CANCELED BEFORE DEPARTURE. CHANGES BEFORE DEPARTURE CHARGE USD 250.00. WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. WAIVER ALSO APPLIES TO TRAVELING COMPANION. NO CHD DISCOUNT/INF WITHOUT A SEAT - 10 PCT. THE ORIGINAL NON REFUNDABLE AMOUNT REMAINS NON REFUNDBALE. CHANGES ARE PERMITTED PRIVIDED THE NEW ITINERARY MEETS ALL THE PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE PURCHASED I.E. ADVANCE RESERVATION/TICKET PURCHASE/MINIMUM /MAXIMUM STAY REQUIREMENTS. WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY IN A LOWER FARE NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE. HOWEVER THE DIFFERENCE IN FARE WILL BE RETURNED TO THE PASSENGER IN THE FORM OF A NON REFUNDABLE TRAVEL VOUCHER WHICH MAY BE APPLIED TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF A TICKET VALID FOR TRANSPORTATION GOVERNED BY AA ONLY AND THE CHANGE FEE WILL APPLY. WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS IN A HIGHER FARE THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE ADD COLLECTED AND THE CHANGE FEE WILL APPLY. RETURN/CONTINUING RESERVATIONS MAY BE CHANGED AT ANY TIME FOR THE ABOVE CHANGE FEE. AFTER DEPARTURE CHARGE USD 250.00. WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. WAIVER ALSO APPLIES TO TRAVELING COMPANION. NO CHD DISCOUNT/INF WITHOUT A SEAT - 10 PCT. WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE. HOWEVER THE DIFFERENCE IN FARE WLL BE RETURNED TO THE PASSENGER IN THE FORM OF A NON-REFUNDBALE TRAVEL VOUCHER WHICH MAY BE APPLIED TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF A TICKET VALID FOR TRANSPORTATION GOVERNED BY AA ONLY. WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS IN A HIGHER FARE THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE ADD COLLECTED AND THE ' CHANGE FEE WILL APPLY.
Rule Application and Other Conditions	RULE APPLICATION AND OTHER CONDITIONS - NOT APPLICABLE
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by blind1985
(...) Since this is a duplicate booking for me, can I call them and have the name changed to my friend?

The ticket it currently pending.
No ! Changing names is not possible, as in any other ticket once issued, except for minor misspellings in the name.

Were it possible can you imagine the huge black market there would be for these tickets ?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by pb9997
No ! Changing names is not possible, as in any other ticket once issued, except for minor misspellings in the name.

Were it possible can you imagine the huge black market there would be for these tickets ?
Thanks for the info pb.

Good point, didn't think of that.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:10 am

I finally got ticketed. Thanks again OP.

Does anyone know how to find the fare rules if the "view fare rules" doesn't bring anything up?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Gaz1a
If you don't mind me asking, how much were you charged in USD?
seems got much better rate if get charged later.
I have one reservation ticketed on Aug 23 which got rate@ 3.49; one reservation charged today which at rate 3.53.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AS MVP75k, LH ft, IHG PlatAmb, BA, UA, AA
2/2 Ticketed!

1st itinerary ticketed on Sunday, 2nd (and last) ticketed just a few minutes ago! Totally smooth, never had to call - muito obrigado AA Brasil! Thanks Flipside!

Together, the itineraries are:
LAX - JFK on AA/F
JFK - GRU - JFK on AA/J
JFK - HKG - JFK on CX/F
JFK - GRU - MIA on AA/J
MIA - LAX on AA/F

June 2016. Two grown-ups and two kids! Nuts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.