FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   (FARE GONE) BA/CX/MH F: FRA-KUL, route via HKG and/or SIN, ~$1,300 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1704005-fare-gone-ba-cx-mh-f-fra-kul-route-via-hkg-sin-1-300-a.html)

tango3 Sep 12, 2015 4:51 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 25359900)
Contact BA and demand they'll refund you the difference. Given SIN's lame consumer protection, that's probably the easiest way..

I called the Bank and they refunded me the difference :)

k_sheep Sep 12, 2015 6:38 pm

I called BA who were summarily unhelpful, just kept saying "the fare was invalid, you would not have been able to travel" and ignoring the fact there was no communication of this other than a refund appearing on my credit card. They very helpfully provided me a link to make a complaint :rolleyes:

YuropFlyer Sep 12, 2015 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by k_sheep (Post 25416262)
I called BA who were summarily unhelpful, just kept saying "the fare was invalid, you would not have been able to travel" and ignoring the fact there was no communication of this other than a refund appearing on my credit card. They very helpfully provided me a link to make a complaint :rolleyes:

Yes, they decided to play dumb on this one.. hoping that it won't impact their business at all (ie, people that are annoyed about their reaction - or lack of - won't tell anyone not to fly BA, won't chose a competitor more likely themselves etc.) - personally I think it's rather short-sighted. Especially after they gained some credit for their OSL-special fare which was honoured.. one stop forward, three steps backwards, so to speak..

percysmith Sep 13, 2015 1:01 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 25416981)
Yes, they decided to play dumb on this one.. hoping that it won't impact their business at all (ie, people that are annoyed about their reaction - or lack of - won't tell anyone not to fly BA, won't chose a competitor more likely themselves etc.) - personally I think it's rather short-sighted. Especially after they gained some credit for their OSL-special fare which was honoured.. one stop forward, three steps backwards, so to speak..

From a business perspective it's not much. Not as much as (say) appropriating their LHR slots.

IAN-UK Sep 13, 2015 4:17 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 25416981)

Yeah, but we have to get real about this. Even a generous handful of travellers upset about not being successful in getting mistake fares to stick is unlikely to generate "consequences" for the airline. (I'm guessing the disappointment generated is the root of the offence felt at no personal communication about the cancellation).

If I tried to convince friends not to fly a carrier simply because I'd been thwarted in this way, they'd nod politely then change the subject sharpish. (I might have singularly unsympathetic friends :) ).

British Airways didn't covered itself in glory on this one, but, there again, neither did I.

I can't see my use of the airline changing in any way because of what happened: that would be silly. I'll still fly BA when the schedule and fare combination suits, and be happy to shift over to another carrier when it doesn't.

lorcancoyle Sep 14, 2015 8:21 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 25417446)
I can't see my use of the airline changing in any way because of what happened: that would be silly. I'll still fly BA when the schedule and fare combination suits, and be happy to shift over to another carrier when it doesn't.

Agree in general, but I think the tipping point has shifted for some of us (hard to quantify though - for SIN/KUL having two shorter flights didn't make me opt for QR over BA). Maybe that means one LH trip eastbound in the next year gets shifted to AY or QR - but probably no more than that.

nldogbert Sep 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Received a response from Customer Service

Hi,

After 3 weeks complaining via Customer Service, received a lengthy response from the customer service.. with some detailed explanation on why the fare was wrong, what they did wrong (claimed that it was due to some cut and paste action, wrong routing, etc..) and they are happy to rebook my flights if I call them to "as we do not wish to cause you any more inconvenience". :rolleyes:

Anyone else received such a response?

Cheers!

ps: wanted to paste the whole response here, but thought better not since it seems like an email written by a person rather than some 'cut and paste' template used - in case I get some comments in my profile if it gets recognized :D

tymoon25 Sep 15, 2015 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 25429461)
Hi,

After 3 weeks complaining via Customer Service, received a lengthy response from the customer service.. with some detailed explanation on why the fare was wrong, what they did wrong (claimed that it was due to some cut and paste action, wrong routing, etc..) and they are happy to rebook my flights if I call them to "as we do not wish to cause you any more inconvenience". :rolleyes:

Anyone else received such a response?

Cheers!

ps: wanted to paste the whole response here, but thought better not since it seems like an email written by a person rather than some 'cut and paste' template used - in case I get some comments in my profile if it gets recognized :D

Curious about how they actually justified this... you can send it in my mailbox if you want. If not also fine :)

nufnuf77 Sep 15, 2015 5:30 pm

I think the email you received might once again be cut and paste, check the BA forum discussion on ex-Germany fares - some people got email which sounds very similar to yours.

RTW1 Sep 16, 2015 3:07 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 25429461)

Any mention if they will reinstate your previous booking or just that you are able to make a new one :-)?

nldogbert Sep 16, 2015 3:10 am

All,

Indeed, the response is exactly the same as discussed in the BA forum.

I would have jumped for joy if they reinstated it, but sadly no, it is that they are very happy to assist me in making a new one to as they said "as we do not wish to cause you any more inconvenience".

Cheers!