FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Bite the bullet mileage run (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1703000-bite-bullet-mileage-run.html)

trekker954 Aug 16, 2015 7:21 am

Bite the bullet mileage run

I just put on hold FLL-DFW-HKG @ $815 for early Oct. Due to fiscal year funds restrictions, I knew I would have the time to do a mileage run. I do travel quite a bit with work, but due to the code, I have to get my status with miles vs. points so its become very difficult. I travel a lot for personal as well, with my biggest Australia vacation. I still have SIX eVIPS and I do know they are hard to use on this DFW-HKG-DFW legs. Last year I came close, so just did this same mileage run, in coach, with miles to spare. This year with my work load and this mileage run, I will still be 6780 short with only a couple of weeks in dec. to find a way to get that.

I should mention one of my BFFs lives in HongKong, so I have a place to rest my head for the two nights.

Its so nice being EXP and receiving those complimentary upgrades. If I can make it again one more year, it would be nice. I know I have a China work trip next year and those eVIPS would be nice. But our travel is being curtailed quite a bit and at some point I just have to accept the Plat status. This may be my last year EXP, but I feel I'm so close to attaining it again. Money isn't a problem for me for me right now so spending the $800 not a big deal, although I will have to figure out what to do about the needed 6780 miles. But I am a penny pincher and need a push to change the hold to a purchase. On the other hand, I keep hearing my brain say, DO IT.

arollins Aug 17, 2015 3:35 am

6780 short of EXP, I will go for it.

Madone59 Aug 17, 2015 8:26 am

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 25281909)
6780 short of EXP, I will go for it.

Definitely! You could get that done in one day.

trekker954 Aug 17, 2015 3:01 pm

I did book that HKG flight and my friend will accommodate me for the two nights.

i also found a very good rate for MIA-LAX-MIA $270. I leave on a September Saturday evening, arriving 10:30 pm, leave LAX at 12:15 am arriving back in MIA on Sunday morning. A true mileage run. Hopefully I will get my complimentary upgrades or my back might not hold out. I'm going to hold off on booking another flight to make up the addition 2K miles because I'm hoping some work trips will pop up.

I decided to go for it as my work travel is really going to slow down in the next year or two and it will get just too hard to try and keep up the status without work travel. So I hope to enjoy it one more year.