Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] UA: NCL-EWR 600 DKK (mistaken fare) DOT ruled; see wiki for link

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
If you've never gone through this process read this before posting!
Note: Please consider that with high probability, United is monitoring this thread, so please pay attention on what you post!

DOT Investigation UpdatesNews Media Updates:

-------

According to USA Today, Ben Mutzabaugh:
United is voiding the bookings of several thousand individuals who were attempting to take advantage of an error a third-party software provider made when it applied an incorrect currency exchange rate, despite United having properly filed its fares. Most of these bookings were for travel originating in the United Kingdom, and the level of bookings made with Danish Kroner as the local currency was significantly higher than normal during the limited period that customers made these bookings.
Note that United has also accidentally cancelled "legitimate" tickets paid for in USD, purchased in USD from LHR... Please check your other tickets if purchased today to ensure they were not unilaterally cancelled.

However, there is no chance at all that you can have your tickets re-instated if you complain to DOT on the basis of DOT rule § 399.88:
§ 399.88 Prohibition on post-purchase price increase.

(a) It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.
Form for filing DOT complaint. File complaint as soon as your ticket is cancelled.

Link to PDF of enforcement bodies for European customers affected. File complaint as soon as your ticket is cancelled.

Tips for DOT Complaint:
  • File on DOT for every ticket number affected.
  • If you have one reservation with four people traveling (four tickets) file 4 DOT complaints, one per ticket.
  • If you have separate reservations, file a DOT complaint for each.
  • The DOT complaint website may take several minutes to load, depending on demand.
  • When you go to upload a file, be careful as it will reset all your radio buttons. So, if you want a copy of the complaint, make sure you double check that "Yes" is still selected before submitting, especially if you upload a file.

Template For Complaint:
United has unilaterally cancelled my ticket without my consent.

Facts:
1. The ticket was ticketed (had a ticket number).
2. I received a confirmation number, ticket number, and emails stating both
3. The ticket was paid for and my credit card charged.

United must reinstate the ticket within its original cabin. This trip is for travel TO the United States.

At no time during the booking process was any other fare than the Danish Krone equivalent displayed. As a reasonable, prudent consumer, I believed I was paying the price displayed to me on the website. United never sent or displayed the equivalent fare in any other currency.

Trip Details
Ticket #: 016XXXXXXXXXX
PNR: XXXXXX
Routing: LHR-EWR-LAX-HNL

Attachments: Attached is a document showing the ticket, routing, and providing proof that the reservation was ticketed.

Filename: Cancelled - UA Reservation - LHR-EWR-LAX-HNL - XXXXXX - 016XXXXXXXXXX.pdf

+-------------------------------------------------------+
| Relevant Law |
| http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/399.88 |
§ 399.88 Prohibition on post-purchase price increase.

(a) It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.

| Relevant FAQ |
| http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/EAPP_2_FAQ.pdf |
Does the prohibition on post-purchase price increases in section 399.88(a) apply in the situation where a carrier mistakenly offers an airfare due to a computer problem or human error and a consumer purchases the ticket at that fare before the carrier is able to fix the mistake?

Section 399.88(a) states that it is an unfair and deceptive practice for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, or of a tour or tour component that includes scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation to a consumer after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of a government-imposed tax or fee and only if the passenger is advised of a possible increase before purchasing a ticket. A purchase occurs when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer. Therefore, if a consumer purchases a fare and that consumer receives confirmation (such as a confirmation email and/or the purchase appears on their credit card statement or online account summary) of their purchase, then the seller of air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the fare is a “mistake.”
-----
Tips for retrieving your ticket number:
  1. paste(right click copy link location first) following link into your web browser
  2. change XXXXXX next to COPNR= for your reservation number and LASTNAME next to LN= for you SURNAME
  3. go to the webpage address you have just created

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...NRCD=2/11/2015

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
R E L A X

Breathe deep.

Congrats on all who got in.

Now comes the fun part.

1. Discovery - mistake fare is posted on FT. Novices frantically checks how much vacation time they have and if the dates of availability mesh with their schedules. Experienced FTers just book it and worry about contacting spouses or their boss later. Word spreads like wildfire.

2. Excitement - Tickets purchased, confirmation emails received and dates of travel shared with other FTers. Discussions of what to see and do and where to stay crop up in other threads. Novices contact source to change seats or inquire about upgrades, Seasoned FTers sit back and enjoy reading the discussion threads.

3. Stress Stage 1 - Concern over paper ticket delivery - Novices Frantically check otheFedEx website every few hours, constant monitoring of driveway for FedEx truck. Seasoned FT veterans sit back and relax.

4. Glee and happiness - Paper tickets in hand, vacation request submitted, spouses finally informed, hotel reservations made and bragging to friends and co-workers begins. Both novices and experts get very excited.

5. Stress Stage 2 - Rumors of fare not being honored, discussion threads about the airline and ticketing agency ensue. Rumors crop up like crabgrass at this stage. Many FTers begin to worry excessively about whether or not the trip will happen. Novices make non-refundable and financial committments to their trip. Seasoned FTers make mixed drinks (and maybe a sandwich) and is patient.

6. Reality Check - Accurate information is obtained - usually takes place a week to 10 days after mistake fare is published. Confirmed information from the source as to whether or not tickets will be honored.

7a. Pure Joy (Icelandair style- Fare is Honored) - Lots of happy people, FT threads on shared information regarding hotels, restaurants, tours, etc. Jealousy from others sets in. First "FT guinea pigs" embark, post confirmation threads that all is ok.

7b Hostile Feelings (Copa Airlines Style - fare is not honored) - Many angry and disappointed FTers. Refunds are issued. Novices have multiple discussion threads of lawsuits and hostile correspondence, FT pros mutter "c'est la vie" and look for the next fare mistake.

8a Success (Honored) - Trip Report thread becomes very active

Freedom of Information Act Request
File #2015-147, Office of the Secretary of Transportation - Receipt acknowledged 3/13/15

http://www.dot.gov/individuals/foia/office-secretary-foia-information

Relevant excerpt from my request on 2/24/15. There no need for multiple requests for the same thing, though feel free to request more or different information obviously. I'll post any updates as I get them.

"Under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S. C. subsection 552, I am requesting access to any and all records of correspondence, including electronic, between anyone working for, or on the behalf of, United Airlines and its subsidiaries, and with anyone working for, or on the behalf of, the Department of Transportation; specifically this would include only the date range beginning on February 11th, 2015 through and including February 24th, 2015.

In addition, I am requesting access to any and all internal records and correspondence in relation to coming to the decision made on February 23rd, 2015 regarding the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings Determination Regarding United Airlines Mistaken Fare, with the exception of any of the consumer submitted complaints via phone, email, website, or letter. Specifically, this would be any records beginning on February 11th, 2015 through and including February 24th, 2015."
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] UA: NCL-EWR 600 DKK (mistaken fare) DOT ruled; see wiki for link

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
Originally Posted by dera
How far are you from LHR? As in, can you simply go there on the 16th?
No, I have a positioning flight on hold until tomorrow afternoon...that's why I'm asking if there's any alternative to flying to London on Saturday and find out on Monday that I can't get back to BOS...
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by DealAddict
And you know this how?
Experience. His/hers and mine.

Originally Posted by Irelandflyer
TBH I'd seen a lot of #unitedsucks already in relation to other aspects of the airline's customer service.

The hashtag isn't about offending or cajoling, just about lining everyone up and making an impact.

Just seemed that #unitedsucks already had a bit of traction.
Yeah, you're right!

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Ender4576
No, I have a positioning flight on hold until tomorrow afternoon...that's why I'm asking if there's any alternative to flying to London on Saturday and find out on Monday that I can't get back to BOS...
Well that's quite the gamble. Also that's quite the argument why they should honor the ticket for you.

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
File on DOT for every ticket number affected. If you have one reservation with four people traveling (four tickets) file 4 DOT complaints one for each ticket.

Also, if you have separate reservations, file a DOT complaint for each. Use the template in the Wiki for easy form fill.
why shoulld i file 2 complaint if the PNR is the same and in the attached file it's clearly stated?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Etihad Silver (bad move)
Any idea how fast the DOT moves on these things?

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
why shoulld i file 2 complaint if the PNR is the same and in the attached file it's clearly stated?
Increases the complaint # to reflect how many complaints they should really have and ensures that each ticket is handled separately.

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
IIRC from a KE mistake a few years ago, the DOT fine is US$27,500 per incident. If DOT rules against UA, that's a looooot of money. UA and their lawyers know this, and they're cancelling anyway.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Experience. His/hers and mine.
And what's your experience.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I think the DOT website can't handle the traffic.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LH4116
DOT Complaint filed. This will be interesting…
OK, as a retired lawyer, industry analyst and frequent flyer, here's my take on this.

Under the plain language of the DOT's "interpretation," UA MUST honor these tickets. The "interpretation" clearly states that there's no excuse for mistake pricing. If you have confirmation (aka, you've printed out a copy of your reservation with ticket numbers), UA is required to honor the rate.

But, remember, this is only an interpretation of a regulation -- it is not actually LAW (passed by Congress and signed by the President). Somebody with more recent regulatory experience should chime in, but my recollection is that regulations are only PRESUMED to be the law, but can be over-ruled by the courts. I would think an "interpretation" of a regulation would carry even less weight. True?

In this case -- and sorry my fellow flyertalkers hoping for a cheapo flight -- it's pretty clear that the DOT reg and interpretation are dumb. It does follow generally accepted consumer law. Companies are ROUTINELY allowed to disavow mistake internet pricing. There is no good reason why an airline should be held to a higher standard. All that should be required is reasonable notice from the airline that a mistake has occurred. Perhaps the airline should have 3 to 7 days to notify the consumer (less if travel is more immediate).

So how does the law get changed? Perhaps by a lawsuit related to this incident? Equity clearly favors the airline, not the consumer here. The old saw that "bad facts make bad law" would seem to apply.

FWIW, I will file my own complaint to protect my rights. If the Feds are going to be dumb and make UA honor this fare, I want my (nearly) free biz class trip, too!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Irelandflyer
Any idea how fast the DOT moves on these things?
Related question. Is DOT going to review this one by one or just review the whole situation and tell UA what to do about everything? Seems like a lot of govt man power to go through each complaint.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
I think the DOT website can't handle the traffic.
Yes, my 2nd complaint (partner's) took a few more minutes to process.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by iahphx
OK, as a retired lawyer, industry analyst and frequent flyer, here's my take on this.

Under the plain language of the DOT's "interpretation," UA MUST honor these tickets. The "interpretation" clearly states that there's no excuse for mistake pricing. If you have confirmation (aka, you've printed out a copy of your reservation with ticket numbers), UA is required to honor the rate.

But, remember, this is only an interpretation of a regulation -- it is not actually LAW (passed by Congress and signed by the President). Somebody with more recent regulatory experience should chime in, but my recollection is that regulations are only PRESUMED to be the law, but can be over-ruled by the courts. I would think an "interpretation" of a regulation would carry even less weight. True?

In this case -- and sorry my fellow flyertalkers hoping for a cheapo flight -- it's pretty clear that the DOT reg and interpretation are dumb. It does follow generally accepted consumer law. Companies are ROUTINELY allowed to disavow mistake internet pricing. There is no good reason why an airline should be held to a higher standard. All that should be required is reasonable notice from the airline that a mistake has occurred. Perhaps the airline should have 3 to 7 days to notify the consumer (less if travel is more immediate).

So how does the law get changed? Perhaps by a lawsuit related to this incident? Equity clearly favors the airline, not the consumer here. The old saw that "bad facts make bad law" would seem to apply.

FWIW, I will file my own complaint to protect my rights. If the Feds are going to be dumb and make UA honor this fare, I want my (nearly) free biz class trip, too!
Based on language used by UA so far, I believe they will play the "This was not a mistake fare, this was a conversion error" card. That is why they have stated many times, that the fares were loaded correctly but the "third party" is guilty for the wrong currency conversion.

The immediate cancellation of every ticket booked is simply a way to shave off maybe 60-70% of all complaints, reducing the liability and the cost to sort this mess out.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by smit0847
The wiki says 'you have a very high probability of restatement if you file a DoT objection'.

My understanding is that UA can choose between paying a DOT fine or honouring those who have lodged DOT objections. They usually choose whatever amount is less, usually the honouring amount?
That's for sure, esp. those seats are generally filled by non-revenue passengers anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.