Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/US Air: Need 341 miles from NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Elite, United Premier, AA Platinum, SPG Gold

I miscalculated receiving biz class fare credit from a partner airline and am now 341 miles short of Gold Status. Would appreciate any help on flying from NYC for less than $200 before year-end for status [I got the promotion to pay $400 for Gold Status but I'm so close!!]. I tried to look on ITA Matrix and TheFlightDeal to PHL, CLT, ORD, DFW, ATL but wasn't having any success. Maybe somebody with more experience than me can help me out??
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Use google flights, select oneworld or the individual carriers, and leave the destination box blank. Enter a date range. Scroll down to the map below and click expand map, zoom in to see shorter flights.

One you see some likely candidates, try those in the destination box and click on, but don't select, an outbound date. A calendar of lowest fares will appear. Select one you like then do the same with the return date and you will see prices for your desired turnaround time.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:41 am

I had a friend who was in a similar situation a few years back (she was about 300 miles short of Platinum). She called AA and was told not to worry, that they "rounded up" for people who were within 500 miles of the status. I don't know if this is still their policy, but it's worth a call before you go to the trouble and expense of making a flight.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Dec 30th
JFK-DCA $75 - take the train or bolt bus back to NYC.

Good luck.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Arsey, wow that is a really great tool...thank you so much!
Dogcanyon, no such luck...either take a flight or pay the $400 were my two options
Madone, thanks so much! I didn't even think about training it or bussing it back!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Madone, actually I looked at milecalc and I don't think flying to DC one way gets me to the 341 miles as it is only 241 miles? Unless AA guarantees a minimum of 500 miles on all legs?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ThanxsisC
Madone, actually I looked at milecalc and I don't think flying to DC one way gets me to the 341 miles as it is only 241 miles? Unless AA guarantees a minimum of 500 miles on all legs?
If you are short of Gold than you are already Silver. Does silver on AA/US get 500min mi? I think so, but you tell me....I fly UA
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ThanxsisC
If you currently have status (gold or above) then AA gives a minimum of 500 miles per segment. If you do not currently have status, then AA gives the actual mileage, 241 in your case. So if you do not have status, the one way plan would not work, and you would need to go both directions to earn 482 miles in total.

Madone59 - AA Gold status is at 25K miles, and is equivalent to UA Silver.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Madone59
If you are short of Gold than you are already Silver. Does silver on AA/US get 500min mi? I think so, but you tell me....I fly UA
AA Gold is the lowest tier, there is no silver beneath it. If OP is not already at least AA Gold then they have no status and no 500mi mins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.