Wiki Posts
Search

MR HNL What to do in HNL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
MR HNL What to do in HNL

Have a mr on Dec 12 ord to hnl. Have 5 hours in hnl, what should I do or see? Or just sit outside and soak up some sun?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:26 pm

Personally, if I was given 5 hours, I think I would just cab to Waikiki Beach, rent a paddle board for a half hour or something, then lay on the beach or take one of the catamaran cruises, grab some food, and then head back to HNL. Diamond Head isn't too far away if you want to hike instead of paddle board / surf. I don't think you have enough time to venture too far away, going out to Hanauma Bay for snorkeling would be pushing it.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Depends on the time of day. If it's mid/late morning, then by all means, cab over to Waikiki. Should be fine.

In the afternoon, don't take the risk. Traffic on the H1 can be horrible eastbound AND westbound. You will be stressing out the entire time that you won't make it back to the airport in time to clear TSA and catch your flight.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
If you've never been, I recommend the Pearl Harbor Memorial.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I took at surfing class off Waikiki and it was the most intense 90 minute workout I've had in years. Exhilarating!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Read hawaii sub-forum?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:59 pm

Traffic going to and from HNL starting in the afternoon is bad and not sure if it is worth the risk.

Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial is pretty close to HNL. As is the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium which is right next to Pearl Harbor. Big flea market. Those are doable in several hours. Swap meet is only open Sunday, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

It really depends what time of day you arrive and what day.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Good info. I land at 3:30 Friday the 12th and return 9:45 that night. Pearl Harbor is in the lead. Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: AP 75k
Definitely suggest pearl harbour if you haven't been before. Very close to HNL and takes a few hours and shouldn't have much traffic.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:04 am

Pearl closes at 5pm and the boats to the Arizona only go til 3pm. You can take theBus #19 or #20 to the Ala Moana Shopping Center or to the next two stops in Waikiki. There are fireworks at Hilton Hawaiian Village Fri nights at 7:45p, but that would be a stretch. However, you should be able to catch a nice sunset on the beach a little before 6p
Here are the bus schedules.
http://www.thebus.org/route/HTMLvers...9_12012013.htm
http://www.thebus.org/route/HTMLvers...0_12012013.htm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold
Even if you can't make it onto the boats at Pearl Harbor to see the USS Arizona, still worth it to go for an hour and hop on the submarine tour, for example.

I would do a little food tour. First stop if you're a seafood fan: Alicia's Market at 267 Mokauea St - not far at all from HNL IIRC. Incredible variety of Poke in an old school Chinese market. Get the poke with rice bowl - you won't be disappointed!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madmax4797
Even if you can't make it onto the boats at Pearl Harbor to see the USS Arizona, still worth it to go for an hour and hop on the submarine tour, for example.

I would do a little food tour. First stop if you're a seafood fan: Alicia's Market at 267 Mokauea St - not far at all from HNL IIRC. Incredible variety of Poke in an old school Chinese market. Get the poke with rice bowl - you won't be disappointed!
Great! I need to try this dish, sounds tasty. Bus get me there or cab? ^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.