FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   AA: (from MIA) Need 23K EQM or 17 EQP (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1625808-aa-mia-need-23k-eqm-17-eqp.html)

trekker954 Nov 3, 2014 12:14 pm

AA: (from MIA) Need 23K EQM or 17 EQP

I have from Nov 23 thru the end of the year available to travel. I'm a female so not interested in traveling to certain countries. I am AA Plat. I don't mind quick turn a rounds. I do have a friend in HKG and/or SFO.

Would you spend the xtra $$ for premium class to get 1.5 EQP, or multiple EQMs trips?

Looks like some inexpensive flights to HNL, but don't think miles in economy will make it.

I have some big trips next year, so I think I should do whatever I can to make Ex Plat if I can.

Advice?

mikelat Nov 3, 2014 12:42 pm

If you can get yourself to ORD, there are fares from ORD-DFW-HKG from 984 in late Nov/early Dec. Probably about 0% chance of upgrade as Plat this late though, so maybe factor that in. If you can put one on hold and then call AA and find a 1EQP/MI fare for not much more it could be nice to just knock it all out in one trip.

jbeckett Nov 3, 2014 7:38 pm

FLL-DFW-HKG and return is $1115, for example out 12/1 return 12/3, 18440 miles. MIA-DEN-LAX-MIA day trip 12/6 is $264, 4910 miles.

trekker954 Nov 4, 2014 7:01 am

Very cool. I've been on the matrix for the past hour or so.

Lots of good options here and I thank mike and beckett.

I've emailed my friend in HKG to see if she's available thanksgiving weekend as I can do a three nighter there for the $1115., if not, I've got on hold Nov. 24-26. Its all booking class Q. As a plat. I can sit in MCE anyway. I have a friend who has an expiring Evip or two also. So if I call to see about a fare to get me EQP 1 I'm not sure how much more that takes. I assumed 1.5 would be way too much more but that would be so nice to just get it with one trip.

Now looking at the MIA-DEN-LAX-MIA, again, very cool and easy. I tried replacing lax with las (one of my favorite places on earth) but the price jumped. I will probably do that Dec. 6 just b/c its a Saturday. I was looking at maybe even staying over one night in DEN as I've never been there even though it will be a tad chilly to say the least. The flight times weren't the greatest, so I wonder if I can stand by for earlier flights to LAX and then to MIA to get me home in the same day vs. the LAX-MIA red eye. Those two legs looked very open. I believe they were offering G code on this itinerary

I do have 48 hours use or lose before the end of the year and I probably have a couple of free night hotel certificates. So I'm now thinking I may actually achieve this goal to get back my ex. plat status.

This past year was the first time I dropped to Plat and I must say I didn't like it one bit. Luckily my colleague had his, and it got us out of a couple of jams when we had flight cancellations and such. AA is just so much nicer to deal with when you have status.