Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you tell U.S. immigration when you do a mileage run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Edit: This was moved from the Air Canada | Aeroplan forum, so written from a Canadian perspective initially, but applicable to all.

I know it's getting to be that time of year for some of the elites who are contemplating mileage runs for Aeroplan. While I won't be in that position for a while, I am very curious as to what you've told U.S. immigration officials when they see you're only gone for a day (or less if it's a same day turnaround)? Do they look at you suspciously, or kind of nod understandingly/amusingly?

Last edited by TravellingBeard; Nov 3, 2014 at 2:39 pm
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
you dont tell them anything. you use Nexus.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
I know it's getting to be that time of year for some of the elites who are contemplating mileage runs for Aeroplan. While I won't be in that position for a while, I am genuinely what you've told U.S. immigration officials on the Canadian side when they see you're only gone for a day (or less if it's a same day turnaround)? Do they look at you suspciously, or kind of nod understandingly/amusingly?
Why would anyone be MR'ing? I dunno, i've never done a MR across the border for this real reason!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
I know it's getting to be that time of year for some of the elites who are contemplating mileage runs for Aeroplan. While I won't be in that position for a while, I am very curious as to what you've told U.S. immigration officials when they see you're only gone for a day (or less if it's a same day turnaround)? Do they look at you suspciously, or kind of nod understandingly/amusingly?
You tell them you need the points to qualify for next level to get upgrades for next year. Here is my return ticket. Dont lie.

Or get Global Entry. Problem solved.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
You might find some useful discussion in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...r-when-mr.html
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You tell them you need the points to qualify for next level to get upgrades for next year. Here is my return ticket. Dont lie.

Thanks. I visit the U.S. maybe once a year so didn't think of that. That certainly simplifies things. I'm imagining the complex runs that can be done like that now.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by rankourabu

+1

Last fall when I did 3 mileage runs before I had my NEXUS, US customs asked the usual where are you going, how long/why. I told each of them it was a MR and they laughed, one guy saying "you're the 3rd one this morning"
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
+1

Last fall when I did 3 mileage runs before I had my NEXUS, US customs asked the usual where are you going, how long/why. I told each of them it was a MR and they laughed, one guy saying "you're the 3rd one this morning"
LOL
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:30 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Uh, the truth?

The problem is the truth is so bizarre and messed up, most of them don't believe you.

If they ask me for further information, I'm usually let go after about 3-4 more clarifying questions.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
The toughest one I had was an immediate turn in BDA in Sept. I only had 1 hr between landing and departure. In that time I had to clear BDA immigration, US immigration and security.

BDA immigration guy gave me a hassle, said there was no way I'd get through US immigration in time and asked if I was prepared to pay for a hotel room. I said no. He said "then I might deny you entry". I replied "Please do, and put me back on the flight I just came in on. I have a BP anyhow."

He finally let me through and I made my flight with about 10 mins to spare.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
You absolutely tell them the TRUTH, that you are flying to get the extra miles to qualify for status. They might laugh at you, they might ask you why you bother but you tell them the truth.

There is nothing wrong or illegal about flying through the USA for milage or status.

However, lying about the purpose of your trip can either

A) land you in secondary or
b) get you banned from the USA for 5 years.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
You absolutely tell them the TRUTH, that you are flying to get the extra miles to qualify for status. They might laugh at you, they might ask you why you bother but you tell them the truth.

There is nothing wrong or illegal about flying through the USA for milage or status.

However, lying about the purpose of your trip can either

A) land you in secondary or
b) get you banned from the USA for 5 years.

rankourabu and sean peever are CORRECT - do not lie.

And as I noted above, you might also get an officer who laughs and says "oh, you're now the 4th person this morning" (I do many same-day trips anyway and some of them just roll their eyes. They know exactly what they are looking for and by the way, they see status on your BP and if you are E-something, they know you fly frequently)
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is a mileage run topic and not an Air Canada or Aeroplan one it's been relocated to the more suitable forums for such queries, the Mileage Run Discussion forum for further input.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have told them many times (before I got GE) what I was doing and most of them were aware this was happening and I was never asked any follow-up questions.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by margarita girl
The toughest one I had was an immediate turn in BDA in Sept. I only had 1 hr between landing and departure. In that time I had to clear BDA immigration, US immigration and security.

BDA immigration guy gave me a hassle, said there was no way I'd get through US immigration in time and asked if I was prepared to pay for a hotel room. I said no. He said "then I might deny you entry". I replied "Please do, and put me back on the flight I just came in on. I have a BP anyhow."

He finally let me through and I made my flight with about 10 mins to spare.
Lol ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.