Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you tell U.S. immigration when you do a mileage run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you tell U.S. immigration when you do a mileage run?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 24left
+1

Last fall when I did 3 mileage runs before I had my NEXUS, US customs asked the usual where are you going, how long/why. I told each of them it was a MR and they laughed, one guy saying "you're the 3rd one this morning"
Before I had GE, i said mileage run and got sent for secondary with a full bag dump.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CDKing
Before I had GE, i said mileage run and got sent for secondary with a full bag dump.
Had that once as well, however with a very courteous agent - took no more than 10 minutes.

In such cases (I do this once or twice a year) I always reply "I am collecting frequent flyer mileage to pad my status-miles", and apart from the above instance (when I was actually staying three nights t add some shopping) I newer received any problem - maybe a question of the "was the ticket that cheap" variety, but nothing more. Even in cases when I was coming to the US twice within 24 hour as my turn point was outside the US...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: Alaska
Be upfront and honest.ive been questioned before going to canada (not for mileage runs though, that's just assinine if you have other options) and after a fee questions and uncomfortable requests from them (i.e., them asking u to unlock your phone so they could browse your emails and calls), they eventually let u cross. Definitely get that nexus though! $50 for 5 years
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Nacho102
Be upfront and honest.ive been questioned before going to canada (not for mileage runs though, that's just assinine if you have other options) and after a fee questions and uncomfortable requests from them (i.e., them asking u to unlock your phone so they could browse your emails and calls), they eventually let u cross. Definitely get that nexus though! $50 for 5 years
I hope you realize that's far from a common border crossing experience... And if it's a normal occurrence for you, you're unlikely to qualify for NEXUS in any event.

Oh, and welcome to FT.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Came back through IAD after a 2 hour turn in FCO. First off plane, no baggage. Walked up and surprised him. "what no baggage" "nope" "you on a MR?" "yep" " have a good day" No need to explain MR, he knew.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:07 am

I guess the answer might differ if you were a U.S. citizen or not and it seems this thread started with the premise that one were not one (a U.S. Citizen can't get banned for 5 years from the U.S., e.g, etc.).

I usually joke around when they ask me if I have anything to declare and say yes, "I need a shower. Where's the Admirals club". They usually laugh and say welcome home.

All the answers you are required to provide are on the form you already handed them.

There's lots of ways to not answer additional questions without lying.

Of course my New York accent can be heard a mile away so I'm pretty sure there is never any doubt of my citizenship status.

If I were not a U.S. citizen I don't think I would joke around tho - OR EVER LIE

Short answer: U.S. citizens who have produced proof of citizenship and a written customs declaration are not obligated to answer questions.

Last edited by MileMan123; Nov 3, 2014 at 5:58 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Is this still good advice, FT?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jazzspice
Is this still good advice, FT?
The general suggestion to not lie to border guards is always good advice
cl.lurker, canopus27 and downinit like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Get Global Entry is still good advice.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:47 pm

If you are not doing anything illegal, the best option is to tell the truth. A small lie can get twisted into a large and obvious lie after a few follow-up questions. Explaining that you found a really cheap flight and only need a few more miles to get VIP treatment& free upgrades is pretty viable and easily understood by almost anyone. I would avoid getting overly technical or laying on too much jargon and provide a very simplistic explanation.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pocatello
Get Global Entry is still good advice.
I hate to give away all my secrets, but Mobile Passport CAN be even better, and it's free and requires no interview.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by ChuckieB
I hate to give away all my secrets, but Mobile Passport CAN be even better, and it's free and requires no interview.
Thank you!

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/mob...-global-entry/
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is almost a universal truth of dealing with government agents, whether at the border or elsewhere, that lying is at best pointless and at worst, very damaging. This could not be more true than when the truthful answer is perfectly legal and unlikely to cause issues.

The mileage run is a perfect example. I am not aware of any country which prohibits or frowns on the practice and thus, I cannot imagine why anyone, when asked, would not give a truthful answer.
ChuckieB likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pocatello
Welcome.

What I normally do is input all my data in the app and have it open as I walk into the arrivals area, I then select either MP or GE depending on which has the shorter line. Normally MP wins out unless, for example at JFK, there're a bunch of airline employees or dips in the MP line. I think it's JFK where the line is shared with those folks, sometimes I get confused :>

One word of caution, if you submit using MP you'll then be locked out of using GE so no going back once you commit to MP.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It is almost a universal truth of dealing with government agents, whether at the border or elsewhere, that lying is at best pointless and at worst, very damaging. This could not be more true than when the truthful answer is perfectly legal and unlikely to cause issues.

The mileage run is a perfect example. I am not aware of any country which prohibits or frowns on the practice and thus, I cannot imagine why anyone, when asked, would not give a truthful answer.
I always tell them the truth, most often I just get a head shake as they stamp my stuff, I'm pretty sure the internal monologue is "what an idiot...".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.