Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/BA: DFW-DOH, $704 a.i. (4.3 cpm) - Can I do better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/3.85 MM, HHonors Gold, National Emerald

Hi All,

It is that time of year again. Need 12,485 miles to re-qualify for EXP after all business trips are spoken for. This is the best deal I found so far on Matrix ITA, all on BA metal (except for DFW-IAH) but all legs still qualifying for AA EQM:

DFW-IAH-LHR-BAH-DOH on Nov 22nd, departing DFW at ~1:00 pm.

DOH-BAH-LHR-DFW return on Nov 23rd, arriving back in DFW on Nov 24th PM.

$704 ai for 16290 miles (@ 4.3 cpm). Of course, I'd have to factor in parking at DFW for two days, plus sundries. But still seems like the best deal out there. None of the DFW-SIN or even DFW-BOS-HNL combinations come close in terms of cpm.

Pros:
- Max layover is in LHR (4h 20m), but I have BA First lounge access, so not a problem in either direction.
- 2 hour turnaround in DOH. No overnighting needed.

Cons:
- BA metal across the pond, so cannot use my EVIPs (3 of them left) or have any hope of a complimentary upgrade, given BA's stinginess - past experience.
- Changing either of the transatlantic legs to AA metal bumps up the price to over $1000.
- All the legs are going to be in cattle class, so I'm going to be one dog-tired (re-qualified) EXP at the end of this trip...
- Not sure if HIA in DOH allows lounge access for EXPs if they are traveling in coach. I know they did not at the old airport. Anyone know better?

All comments/suggestions on (i) snagging free upgrades on BA, (ii) alternate MRs that yield a better cpm, (iii) anything else I've totally missed, are most welcome.

Thanks!

docykm

p.s. This is my second MR. Did a DFW-BOS-SFO-BOS-DFW in 2010 during the days of AA's DEQM promotions....really miss those!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
So I'm guessing on AA stock?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

The flights are being sold as BA flights. Will that be a problem?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: Alaska Air
You can knock $65 off with the AARP discount, and another 10% off if you have the Chase BA Visa.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by docykm
- Not sure if HIA in DOH allows lounge access for EXPs if they are traveling in coach. I know they did not at the old airport. Anyone know better?
The old airport did provide lounge access, but it was to the contract lounge and not the QR Premium Terminal. I departed the old DOH several times on both BA and QR as an EXP in Y and was always given invitations at check in.

I'd search the BA and QR forums to see what the lounge situation is at the new HIA. Mainly, 1) what lounge BA is using, and 2) is QR allowing elites access to its new lounges when flying Y and/or not QR (the way oneworld lounge access is supposed to work...).

The DOH flights on BA are especially killer because of the stop in BAH. You can't deplane and sit on the plane at the gate while they clean, security check, etc. Adds another 1-2 hrs. easy.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wildway
You can knock $65 off with the AARP discount, and another 10% off if you have the Chase BA Visa.
Thanks wildway! Pulled the trigger on this MR. $640.34 with the $65 AARP discount. Don't have the Chase BA Visa, but happy with the 4.02 cpm as a result of the AARP discount.

Now to see about lounge access in DOH...will keep y'all posted.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
FWIW, you wouldn't be able to use 10% code because that applies to all-BA metal bookings.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by docykm
All the legs are going to be in cattle class, so I'm going to be one dog-tired (re-qualified) EXP at the end of this trip.
Just finished a MR in the Y cabin, BKK-NRT-DFW-BOS-DFW-SEA-ANC-LAX-BOS-NRT-BKK, and all in four days. 3.82 cpm, half that if you were to count elite status bonus. My worst problem was an incredibly sore neck. While I wouldn't say that I've learned my lesson or that I've been cured of the urge to do MRs, there is no question that I won't be doing anything like that again for a while.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Doc,

We may need to become friends in real life. I also live in Allen, Mileage Run, and could use a partner in crime for DFW antics. I have done sushi in NRT, Steak and Malbec in Buenos Aires, and Paella in Barcelona at the end of each year previous to this year where I have succumb to being Platinum now.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atxtraveler
Doc,

We may need to become friends in real life. I also live in Allen, Mileage Run, and could use a partner in crime for DFW antics. I have done sushi in NRT, Steak and Malbec in Buenos Aires, and Paella in Barcelona at the end of each year previous to this year where I have succumb to being Platinum now.
Indeed. In San Diego through Thursday on business. Will PM you once I get back to DFW. Looks like you are a veteran of several MRs. Could use some tips as I get ready for just my second MR..
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I have businesses in both UTH and BOS, and commute roughly every other month. I have a trip back to BOS in November (not a MR!!) which will put me back into EXP after a one year hiatus.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I am interested to hear about DOH, as I have a layover there on our way to the Maldives in March.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:51 am
Original Poster

All set for DFW-IAH-LHR-BAH-DOH-BAH-LHR-DFW MR (3.93 cpm)!

Folks,

Leave tomorrow on my first international MR (only my second; first MR was all domestic).

DFW-IAH-LHR-BAH-DOH-BAH-LHR-DFW for $640.32 ai (3.93 cpm)

Dep 11/22, back in DFW 11/24.

Entered my flights on the flightconnect page, but did not see anyone else on this routing.

Any chances of meeting any other FT'ers? I will have BA First lounge access at LHR T5 and will be in the Oryx lounge at DOH.

Will keep y'all posted on how it goes!

docykm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.