Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] EY: CMB-DFW $1440 ai RT in First!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] EY: CMB-DFW $1440 ai RT in First!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Well, not exactly. The fare was an erroneous fare. We all (both EY and FTers) know that.
We only know that NOW. We certainly did not at time of booking.

Well, just a minute. How do you distinguish this from, say, certain fare buckets in Y which only accumulate 30% or 50% of the BIS miles? Couldn't EY just take the position that this was not a regular, full F fare and thus doesn't attract the regular F bennies, just as the Y fares I just mentioned don't attract all the full fare Y bennies? Sure, just as with the discounted Y fares, you get to sit in the same cabin and enjoy the same inflight service, but other bennies (full mileage, for example) are not part of this fare. This may or not be a successful argument/position for EY, but it's not, on its face, absurd.
It is absurd. Cabin<>Fare Class. All airlines that I know of determine mileage accrual by fare class. Those discounted economy cabin fares that do not accrue miles/earn at a reduced rate are that way because they are in specifically excluded fare classes or some other highly visible condition (i.e. a government fare booked in Y class). All of that information is available ahead of time.

This is an unrestricted fare booked in F class. All conditions of unrestricted F class fares must apply.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Originally Posted by Herb687
Just to keep the discussion constructive... Can we at least be honest among ourselves here? We'll all argue (to EY, DOT, ...) that we couldn't have known at the time of booking, etc, etc,... but please - This is FT
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Herb687
Originally Posted by zagy
Just to keep the discussion constructive... Can we at least be honest among ourselves here? We'll all argue (to EY, DOT, ...) that we couldn't have known at the time of booking, etc, etc,... but please - This is FT
Exactly. And the same conversation is going on over in the QR mistake fare thread. We knew. Fortunately, the DOT regs supersede the common law of contract in cases like this, and we don't have to deal with the issue of unilateral mistake. If we did, I'm quite certain that we'd lose.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: LH SEN
Amazing how much money Swiss is throwing at counsel for this case.

It seems their petition to the Governor in council was also supported by Ensight Canada.

https://ocl-cal.gc.ca/app/secure/orl...6&regId=798671

https://ocl-cal.gc.ca/app/secure/orl...tNumber=326126
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: LH SEN
From the references below:

Who is being lobbied?
Government Institutions

House of Commons
Industry Canada (IC)
Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
Transport Canada (TC)

Originally Posted by Van_Looy

It seems their petition to the Governor in council was also supported by Ensight Canada.

Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by challett
I hate to be the contrarian and possibly throw fuel on the fire, but my tickets (neither mine nor my friend's) do not have this aforementioned notation. And before I get flamed, I am the TA that issued the tickets and I am looking directly in Sabre.

Just wanted to share a anomalous data point.
Not trying to rudely out birdy, but I get the feeling birdy works directly for Sabre and can see anyone's PNRs, regardless of security. I'm sure the security settings on the EY comments were set so that only EY can see, not the TA. The comments certainly didn't come through to Amadeus, as they should have if it was the sort of comment that a TA can see.

Only a year or two ago there were non-mistake fares for EK F CMB-US for about $4k a/i RT. A 50% sale is NOT unusual. Transatlantic fares vary much more percentage-wise than that.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Exactly. And the same conversation is going on over in the QR mistake fare thread. We knew. Fortunately, the DOT regs supersede the common law of contract in cases like this, and we don't have to deal with the issue of unilateral mistake. If we did, I'm quite certain that we'd lose.
Academia is one thing, practical experience another. I'm familiar with several who have won in court on mistake rates pre-DOT reg.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
I'll be honest. It was NOT clear to me that this was a mistake fare. As I was searching for CMB-DFW in C on Matrix, EY was priced at $970, while a host of other airlines were priced - in C - at just over $2k. 50%+ fare sales happen all the time. I knew $970 was a good deal - possibly a mistake fare - but it wasn't $0 + tax type of deal that's too good to be true.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
From the references below:

Who is being lobbied?
Government Institutions

House of Commons
Industry Canada (IC)
Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
Transport Canada (TC)

Anyone else feels like LX is the black knight from Monty Python? It’s just a flesh wound and still continues to try to fight.
I understand the principle basis, but hiring lobbyist? They must be at over 500k in legal fees, if not much more. Oh well, keep on spending the cash…

Disclaimer: Dear LX lawyers, since you are already charging LX for reading this post, I suggest you watch the fully Monty Python sketch that I am referencing in this post to properly document the statement, and don’t forget to charge at least 1/10 or 2/10 of an hour for the service.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:39 am

Discussion whether the fare was mistake or not is bit artificial. We were alerted of a good fare with favorable conditions, such as ability to refund, and decided to buy it. And some of us bought in, to be in, take part in the fun. Popcorn or not, heavy moralizing, sours that fun. Etihad got a lot of free publicity, and it seems they do not realize how to handle it.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
guys, I've said it before and I'll say it again, call it what you want, but let's say it was a mistake. It doesn't matter, "mistakes" are covered by 399.88, which would have to apply here since these tickets are TO the US or in the case of RT, TO & FROM the US. That's what it comes down to...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP (and 3mm), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Virtuoso, FSPP
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Not trying to rudely out birdy, but I get the feeling birdy works directly for Sabre and can see anyone's PNRs, regardless of security. I'm sure the security settings on the EY comments were set so that only EY can see, not the TA. The comments certainly didn't come through to Amadeus, as they should have if it was the sort of comment that a TA can see.
Very possible and it crossed my mind. However when TGFlyerGirl was soliciting PNRs to look at, she asked for PL PNRs... so he may work for PL.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by challett
Very possible and it crossed my mind. However when TGFlyerGirl was soliciting PNRs to look at, she asked for PL PNRs... so he may work for PL.
RGN indicated otherwise. This isn't the first time birdy has tweeted.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by HansGolden
RGN indicated otherwise. This isn't the first time birdy has tweeted.
<3 that birdy. Thanks for all your help both here and RGN1/2/3 TGflyergirl.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by arcticbull
<3 that birdy. Thanks for all your help both here and RGN1/2/3 TGflyergirl.
Again, don't thank me. I'm just a messenger. Birdy's a friend, and birdy likes to fly too, so whatever info that helps the community at large secure a better result somehow also helps birdy. It's called sharing
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
Again, don't thank me. I'm just a messenger. Birdy's a friend, and birdy likes to fly too, so whatever info that helps the community at large secure a better result somehow also helps birdy. It's called sharing
well put and thank you.
let's see how this pans out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.