Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] EY: CMB-DFW $1440 ai RT in First!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] EY: CMB-DFW $1440 ai RT in First!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
I tried adding a driver reservation to the booking, and it sent back an email saying that the fare was not eligible for the service.

And to the Jet Airways planes running now... Nuts!

Originally Posted by tycosiao
How did they manage to avoid the CAT2 ban?

Edit: Maybe it is because EY is operating them as of now rather than 9W's Operated?
I wonder if they refurbished interiors of these planes? It would seem a bit odd to have different levels of equipment and differing decor for inside the aircraft. At the very least if they're brought up to shape I wouldn't mind so much.

Last edited by roastpuff; Mar 2, 2014 at 2:33 am
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by roastpuff
I wonder if they refurbished interiors of these planes? It would seem a bit odd to have different levels of equipment and differing decor for inside the aircraft. At the very least if they're brought up to shape I wouldn't mind so much.
Etihad confirmed in an email to a FTer a few weeks back that the 9W planes would still have the old 9W interiors: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22171462-post10.html

I really hope they've done some repair/maintenance work on the cabins, though, because from most accounts I've read (and photos I've seen), they aren't in the best of condition -- the cabins are nearly 7 years old now, and cracks/bumps/stains/rips/scuffing/scratches are pretty evident.

So, in summary:
- tired, worn F cabin
- no dedicated chef and no grill; meals prepared by normal cabin crew
- inferior IFE
- no preclearance at AUH for EY103
- after 1 May 2014, 9W will operate the route with 9W crews (I don't know if the Category 2 downgrade will affect this)
- on the bright side, it's still F and it's still a suite

Last edited by benlight; Mar 2, 2014 at 3:04 am
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:53 am

Purchased on O. Got the letter from EY. Filed with DOT.

Reply email from DOT says: "Based on the information you have provided, it does not appear that your complaint falls under one of the Department's rules." But DOT is asking EY for comment.

Is that standard? My complaint wasn't terribly histrionic--just that EY was canceling first-class perks after purchase; I included the email from EY. Should I have said something different?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Interesting..after I filed, the DOT said that my concerns and complaints fell under DOT regulations. There's clearly no need for histrionics, but there's also a need to emphasize the gravity of the situation, particularly the dangerous precedent EY's move would create. Did you explicitly mention EY's demand that they're demanding you to pay more in order for them to honor the fare rules, etc.?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Interesting..after I filed, the DOT said that my concerns and complaints fell under DOT regulations. There's clearly no need for histrionics, but there's also a need to emphasize the gravity of the situation, particularly the dangerous precedent EY's move would create. Did you explicitly mention EY's demand that they're demanding you to pay more in order for them to honor the fare rules, etc.?
Based on rxpuri's experience as posted upthread, you're talking about ability to change, right?

Originally Posted by zloneill
Filed with DOT.

Reply email from DOT says: "Based on the information you have provided, it does not appear that your complaint falls under one of the Department's rules." But DOT is asking EY for comment.

Is that standard? My complaint wasn't terribly histrionic--just that EY was canceling first-class perks after purchase; I included the email from EY. Should I have said something different?
Well, I bet that it's not a DOT violation until you are actually denied something to which you are entitled. I don't think that EY's writing letters in which denial is threatened is a violation by itself. And based on rxpuri's experience, you're now only talking about ability to change, right?

Anyone else have any experience yet?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
The idea should be to request the change you are entitled to and have it denied by EY. Then file the DOT complaint.

Also, EY is only 10 years old and made $65 million in profit last year, on $1.6B of revenue. I think they can afford to let less than 100 of us change a few dates...
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Well, I bet that it's not a DOT violation until you are actually denied something to which you are entitled. I don't think that EY's writing letters in which denial is threatened is a violation by itself.
The DOT violation is the attempt to increase the purchase price in order to get what you originally purchased.
§ 399.88 Prohibition on post-purchase price increase.
(a) It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.
(b) A seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States or a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, must notify a consumer of the potential for a post-purchase price increase due to an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee and must obtain the consumer’s written consent to the potential for such an increase prior to purchase of the scheduled air transportation, tour or tour component that includes scheduled air transportation. Imposition of any such increase without providing the consumer the appropriate notice and without obtaining his or her written consent of the potential increase constitutes an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712.

Originally Posted by Deltahater
The idea should be to request the change you are entitled to and have it denied by EY. Then file the DOT complaint.
I disagree; you don't have to attempt to use the service. They sent an e-mail denying you changes and services. These things have been denied. Period. Unless you think the legal argument, "Oh, we didn't deny anything; we threatened to deny it, but we were secretly going to give them the service if they asked nicely for it," is an argument that will hold water.
Originally Posted by zloneill

That wording is not a 100% crystal clear violation of DOT rules. I think the things you need to hammer on are:
1) They are not honoring the fare rules (unless you agree to a price increase).
2) They are removing bundled services from the travel package "The Etihad Experience" that you purchased (unless you agree to a price increase).

Any mention of 'perks' is automatically going to raise eyebrows, perks are by definition ancillary and not central, and are a whole other can of worms. Instead, emphasize that first-class travel on Etihad is advertised as a package, "The Etihad Experience" that includes Premium Stopovers (hotel accommodations), airport transfers, and accommodations in airport lounges, in the price of every Etihad F ticket. Etihad is threatening to withhold parts of the package in an effort to get you to agree to a post-purchase fare increase.

I have to assume that there are different agents that handle each complaint, and that it is much easier if you clearly explain what is the legal issue and what DOT regulations you think are being violated, including citing 14 CFR 399.88 as the governing regulation. They probably have a heavy case load, you need to make it as easy as possible for them.

Last edited by janetdoe; Mar 3, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I flew the 9W F product a looooong time ago and it was nice enough, but sure does sound like it's been beaten up.

My options are either to fly this on 9W metal or just use my HKT-HKG-YVR award flights in CX J (5 of 8 seats in the minicabin). I don't know, have months to make the decision, but it's pretty close between the two. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by stephem
I flew the 9W F product a looooong time ago and it was nice enough, but sure does sound like it's been beaten up.

My options are either to fly this on 9W metal or just use my HKT-HKG-YVR award flights in CX J (5 of 8 seats in the minicabin). I don't know, have months to make the decision, but it's pretty close between the two. Any thoughts?
what does it matter if the seat is a bit beaten up? Once they have the covers and duvet down... a flat surface is a flat surface right? scuffing doesn't affect the comfort of the bed or your privacy
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: All of Them
Originally Posted by stephem

What happen to the dates originally put out about EY metal flying until sometime beginning in May when there would would a switch over to the 9W product?

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/about-us...s-to-new-york/

EDIT: Looks like I read the press release incorrectly skimming through the first time. I flew the 9W product BKK-NRT last year in F and it was pretty bad. I bought this hoping to be on EY metal F. I'm canceling if this is the case. The rattling of these suites is pretty bad along with the scuffs, scrapes, and wear. Disappointing....

EY 101 leaving at 10:30AM is operated with EY metal correct?

Last edited by Richklhs; Mar 3, 2014 at 7:33 pm
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Richklhs
EY 101 leaving at 10:30AM is operated with EY metal correct?
Yes, that's the EY metal route.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Trying to cancel Bit of a nightmare

4 days bouncing between EY and PL ( low cost) still unable to cancel EY says travel agent. Travel agent say ticket 'locked' must talk to ey. I'm in HKT so times n skype n mpl s not too easy. Dep date12 march. Should I file with DOT. ? Talk to Credit card . ? Understand this is the cost of the game. So not stressed. EY Manchester staff clear and appear helpful. But connecting 2 party's not happin yet Advised to try US EY office ( when open)
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:48 am

In the context of a $1400 r/t fare from CMB to DFW in F, I find the extent of the complaints about the 9W lease frankly unbelievable. But maybe that's just me.

I don't particularly believe in looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'm sure EY would be absolutely delighted if you wanted to cancel the ticket as a result of 9W instead of EY.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stargold
In the context of a $1400 r/t fare from CMB to DFW in F, I find the extent of the complaints about the 9W lease frankly unbelievable. But maybe that's just me.
Why? It was advertised as EY F and now you get a "run down" 9W cabin.... price paid is irrelevant.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
I'm with you on that one, sure beats the hell out of a Y seat any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.