Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: BAH from various cities (e.g., YVR: $850; CLE: $774; IAD: $690)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] UA: BAH from various cities (e.g., YVR: $850; CLE: $774; IAD: $690)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Originally Posted by TomA
So, Is it worth spending a 4 days in BAH if you have the time?

Any recommendations on stuff to do there?
Plenty to do here in 4 days...
Starting point - check Bahrain This Month or Time Out Bahrain to see if there are any special events while out here to schedule in... There are always concerts, comedy shows, exhibitions, etc.

Here's a list of things to do:
1. Museums - the national museum is worth half a day, and has a wonderful restaurant with some great authentic Bahraini food. The Bayt Alquran has historical copies of the quran from all over the world. Sh Ibrahim Center has a wonderful preservation of Bahrain history and nice events. the Fateh Mosque is nice for visitors to see. The Jasra Handicraft center has a nice exhibition of local crafts including items for sale.
2. Natural/Historical Sites - Plenty to choose from. Tree of Life. Burial Mounds.
Arad Fort. Bahrain Fort. Khamis Mosque. Barbar temple.
3. Water adventures - take the water taxi to AlDar or AlHwar Islands... Sight some dolphins. Enjoy the sea front from Amwaj, Durrat or Zallaq. Rent a boat or jet skis from the marina club, coral bay, the Ritz, Bander, or Prince Khalifa Park.
4. Amusement - the malls, 2 waterparks (wahoo and lost paradise), movies, bowling, ice skating, royal golf club, horseback riding, karting/Races at the International Circuit etc.
5. Food - lots to choose from. From great local fare (like Zafaran, Mohammed Nour Bukhari, Tabriz sea food) to wonderful international (Sato, Oliveto, Takht Jamsheed/Golestan, Guzel, etc) to wonderful restaurant areas (Adliya/Block 338, Aali mall, etc)

Feel free to PM me, and I would be happy to customize a plan for you.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - President's Circle
Lax-iad-bah bah-iad-lax

FYI: I'll be doing LAX-IAD-BAH on 11/22 and back on 11/29. I'm in E+ headed over, with a friend. Biz on the way back.

Anyone traveling those dates?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Thanks Omar, I sent you a PM.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
I booked this for January from BOS - ORD - IAD - BAH (that was one of the recommended connections). Came out to 4.1 CPM.

So no Visa is required to get off the plane and then back on 90 minutes later to come home? Haven't done that type of a turn around internationally before. Do you have to go through customs?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mjdth
So no Visa is required to get off the plane and then back on 90 minutes later to come home? Haven't done that type of a turn around internationally before. Do you have to go through customs?
No immigration or customs. You need to go to the Transit Desk to get cleared to leave, which means that you have to go through gate security after you get it.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The United IAD-KWI-IAD flights actually do not fly over Iraqi airspace for the time being. The flights go around in Turkey and Iran based on the real time flight map on board.

Anyone think a DXB connection is safer than a KWI connection? That KWI flight pretty much flies directly over Baghdad. The DXB connection flies over the sea and Iran.

http://wwlp.com/2014/10/28/new-isis-...senger-planes/
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Anyone think a DXB connection is safer than a KWI connection? That KWI flight pretty much flies directly over Baghdad. The DXB connection flies over the sea and Iran.

http://wwlp.com/2014/10/28/new-isis-...senger-planes/
UA IAD-KWI-IAD does not fly over Iraqi airspace for the time being.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: United: LifetimeGold, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt:Globalist, Hilton:Diamond, IHG:Diamond
Does anyone do this MR on Nov. 28 or 29 and return on Nov 30th?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Visa fees in BAH

My friend and I got hit with a $70 US tourist visa fee when we arrived last night in BAH. Many people had their $20 US ready but the agent said the price had gone up. This was our first time here so I have no prior experience. The transit fee was listed at two BHD. Many pax were caught off guard. No ATMs in the customs/passport area. Rest of our trip is fabulous.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
Originally Posted by yang1980
Does anyone do this MR on Nov. 28 or 29 and return on Nov 30th?
I would but the fare jumps to over $1,000. I am going the weekend prior for $702. Sat from ord lands Mon at 9am back at ord.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:13 am

I'm on the BAH run out 11/12 and back 11/14. Out is about the normal load but BAH-IAD on 11/13 is really full.

Does anyone know why the returns are so full and is anyone else going on my dates?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
I'm getting there Jan 31st and leaving Feb 1st. Both at night. Anyone else who will be there. Omar: will pm you on recos on what to do for 25 hours in the ground and where to stay. Thx!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Unhappy Transit fee

Originally Posted by Orion
The transit fee was listed at two BHD. Many pax were caught off guard.
Bahrain government has seen too many MRers. If this transit fee is true, MR to BAH will be greatly discouraged.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, #1 CG 5☆
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Bahrain government has seen too many MRers. If this transit fee is true, MR to BAH will be greatly discouraged.
It's true, but no worries since the visa is good for two weeks. Just go a couple of times to bring down the cost. The BAH government didn't know what MR people were last year when I flew and they held us for quite some time until we started to form a group. I was nice to see an ad hoc DO at BAH customs with a wide variety of MR'ers represented. And if you must avoid the fee, just do a transfer to somewhere that doesn't have a steep fee, or an immediate turn. Plenty of options, e.g. AUH.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Thanks, UA900. It seems that I was confused by Orion. Is the transit fee applied to those who want to do an immediate turn?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.