Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
There are two categories of US cities involved, DL hubs and other, generally secondary, airports.
From some DL Hubs, UA P fares are valid to a much wider range of cities in Europe:
SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/CVG/MEM-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/BUD/PRG/CPH/IST/WAW/ARN/OSL/KRK/PRG/TLL/RIX/etc
(but not JFK nor LAX?)

Other airports are valid to a smaller set of cities in Europe:
BOS/SJC/SMF/MOD/BWI/BUR/ONT/SNA/PSP/HNL/SEA/PDX/AUS/PIT/TUS/TPA/ALB/etc/etc-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/etc

Most UA hubs don't have the fare filed (not SFO for sure), but apparently EWR has at least EWR-VCE/NCE (but not EWR-MXP/PMO/FCO/CDG)

Some destinations in Europe have a slightly higher base fare:
MRS/LYS

(please add more cities to either origin or destination side that are valid)

Be careful in your airline selection - there are PQM/RDM implications to this. For example, for the UA program, UA P earns 150% PQM/RDM, LH P earns 100% PQM/RDM, and it appears that OS P earns nothing.
Similarly it looks like UA P class credited to Aegean (A3) earns nothing. Visit this United webpage then click on the Star Alliance partner to determine mileage earnings.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tc_jedi
I managed to book VCE-ZRH-EWR in P just fine.
Tried MXP-ZRH on the first go around two days ago, no chance. Glad, it worked for you, though.
One thing I noticed on P-fares on other times/not this sale, that LX sells P as a married segment, e.g. MXP-ZRH-EWR all on LX = go;
but MXP-ZRH on LX, ZRH-EWR on UA = no go.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Another challenge: Connecting thru ZRH, LX is blocking out P on all (most) intra-EU connections.
I venture LX hates UA for this and puts up defenses, wherever it can.

I'm returning on LX from AMS
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAZ199
I'm returning on LX from CPH
LX TATL on their all-lie-flat longhaul fleet is definitely a nice ride! Cool!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:17 am

Thanks OP!

Booked SEA-SFO-FRA-NCE/FCO-FRA-YYZ-YYC-SEA
24 hour connections at each Canadian stop.
Found with Hipmunk, booked through PL.

Nothing special equipment wise. But functional for what we need.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Love the feeding frenzy! Curious to see if P fares expire this AM, like last time, or have some longevity.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:33 am

Does P class on Lufthansa earns 1.5 or 1.0 eqm? Website shows 1.0 but agent said 1.5. Wanted to know for sure before booking those codeshare flights that I am seeing.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: DL
Smile

Ditto on the thanks to OP! Rare to get a nice deal out of Charlie South, booked CHS-IAD-MUC-VCE/FCO-IAD-CHS for a quick family trip this summer.

Agreed, maybe nothing spectacular re: equipment, but pretty special places to visit!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, SPG GLD
Thanks OP and to all that contributed here.

I finally had one with Fare Lock but after reading here that some were able to make changes within 24h, is it when it is locked or after ticketing?

Also, are the changes possible to dates as well or segments only, as long as origin/destination remain the same?

I even tried the big O but from what I read the 24h cancellation is not valid for all tickets and I could not find anything that said mine was before paying.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Another challenge: Connecting thru ZRH, LX is blocking out P on all (most) intra-EU connections.
I venture LX hates UA for this and puts up defenses, wherever it can.
I found NCE-ZRH-EWR with the NCE-ZRH segment booking into Y while I also found NCE-ZRH-YYZ-ORD with the NCE-ZRH booking into Z

Check that...the later was a regular $5k+ fare.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
(deleted).

Last edited by Rusdude; Apr 4, 2014 at 10:57 am Reason: wrong thread
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:56 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by nova08
I found NCE-ZRH-EWR with the NCE-ZRH segment booking into Y while I also found NCE-ZRH-YYZ-ORD with the NCE-ZRH booking into Z

Since when does LX fly to YYZ
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nova08

You know what: It appears I got sidetracked by .bomb. It always forced me on LH thru their FRA/MUC hubs for intra-EU connections, adding $$ of German airport fees on top.
But I found now even LAX/SFO-ZRH-xxx P-class on non-UA sites, if avoiding weekend travel days. Just trying to get to price it now.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: UA/MM/1K
Originally Posted by qplazm1982
Does P class on Lufthansa earns 1.5 or 1.0 eqm? Website shows 1.0 but agent said 1.5. Wanted to know for sure before booking those codeshare flights that I am seeing.
Only 100% PQM...sadly
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Have a wiki at the top now with details on the different categories of city pairs - anyone want to add some of the PQM earning on the different carriers for P class fares?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Have a wiki at the top now with details on the different categories of city pairs - anyone want to add some of the PQM earning on the different carriers for P class fares?
Thanks, I added a brief warning addressing UA/LH/OS. Please amend as needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.