Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
There are two categories of US cities involved, DL hubs and other, generally secondary, airports.
From some DL Hubs, UA P fares are valid to a much wider range of cities in Europe:
SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/CVG/MEM-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/BUD/PRG/CPH/IST/WAW/ARN/OSL/KRK/PRG/TLL/RIX/etc
(but not JFK nor LAX?)

Other airports are valid to a smaller set of cities in Europe:
BOS/SJC/SMF/MOD/BWI/BUR/ONT/SNA/PSP/HNL/SEA/PDX/AUS/PIT/TUS/TPA/ALB/etc/etc-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/etc

Most UA hubs don't have the fare filed (not SFO for sure), but apparently EWR has at least EWR-VCE/NCE (but not EWR-MXP/PMO/FCO/CDG)

Some destinations in Europe have a slightly higher base fare:
MRS/LYS

(please add more cities to either origin or destination side that are valid)

Be careful in your airline selection - there are PQM/RDM implications to this. For example, for the UA program, UA P earns 150% PQM/RDM, LH P earns 100% PQM/RDM, and it appears that OS P earns nothing.
Similarly it looks like UA P class credited to Aegean (A3) earns nothing. Visit this United webpage then click on the Star Alliance partner to determine mileage earnings.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Goodtimes321
In for 3 for my Family! Back to Venice and Milano again.

LAS-IAH UA
IAH-FRA LH A380 !!
FRA-VCE LH

VCE- EWR UA whtvr

Now I need to find a babysitter for the trip so we can relax

Im predicting we will see cheaper fares in Business to Europe for the next while. They will keep going up in price a few hundred at a time. UA want to see how much they can get people to pay for business regularly. Anyone else think if that?
Nice what dates are these? I would love to get on the A380!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:22 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by janetdoe
To paraphrase Dilbert, the Tricks thread "is a little like nuclear waste, it's sticky, and you don't want to get any on you."
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Stay here. It's much better on your heart
Awww.....too funny. I ain't goin' in there!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
This is bananas...
Even more bananas is that I'm sticking with the Q fares I booked to AMS a few hours ago for a July trip (with GPU wait listed) because I need the PQDs
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:25 pm

Dumb question, but how are you guys booking this? Is it dead?

When I enter the exact segments on Orbitz or the airline website, it's the fullfare price.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Dumb question, but how are you guys booking this? Is it dead?

When I enter the exact segments on Orbitz or the airline website, it's the fullfare price.
Are you entering it in July? Also, are you trying to leave from a UA hub?

If the answer to the first question is "no" or the second question is "yes", then there's your answer.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Plt HertzpresC Avisfirst
Originally Posted by GBadger
This is bananas...
Even more bananas is that I'm sticking with the Q fares I booked to AMS a few hours ago for a July trip (with GPU wait listed) because I need the PQDs
Why don't you cancel that and book one of these. This way you save your money, save your GPUs and your guaranteed business. At the end of the year, if you don't have enough pqd's then you can book your last trip/trips on a higher fares.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:34 pm

Why don't you cancel that and book one of these. This way you save your money, save your GPUs and your guaranteed business. At the end of the year, if you don't have enough pqd's then you can book your last trip/trips on a higher fares.
A few reasons, really:
1) I don't really want to deal with getting from Boulder to COS (right now my ticket's out of DEN)
2) I really, really need the PQDs. Currently at about $1k PQDs for 20k PQMs. With this AMS trip I'm at about $3.3k PQDs for 35k PQMs, which is a much better ratio to get back to 1k. I don't have the luxury of many additional trips, so I'll take them where I can get them.
3) It's a work trip, and going through the paperwork of "justifying" business class, even when the price is significantly better, is a real headache.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
SLC in addition to the CDG, AMS and Italy...

PRG
WAW
ZAG
BUD
CPH
DUB
TRS
KRK
SOF
VCE
BEG
KTW
SPU
DBV
GDN

Last edited by Pat89339; Apr 3, 2014 at 10:59 pm
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
A few reasons, really:
1) I don't really want to deal with getting from Boulder to COS (right now my ticket's out of DEN)
2) I really, really need the PQDs. Currently at about $1k PQDs for 20k PQMs. With this AMS trip I'm at about $3.3k PQDs for 35k PQMs, which is a much better ratio to get back to 1k. I don't have the luxury of many additional trips, so I'll take them where I can get them.
3) It's a work trip, and going through the paperwork of "justifying" business class, even when the price is significantly better, is a real headache.
The work trip excuse makes perfect sense. I wouldn't have thought you were nuts had you said that from the start! Still painful for me to imagine paying for a higher coach fare despite your reasoning, which is quite reasonable!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Nice what dates are these? I would love to get on the A380!
Nevermind. No lie-flat for business class! http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Luf...irbus_A380.php
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Leviticus
That would be enough for AMS.
Thanks a bunch. Looks like the one I chose has close to 3 hours of time, which should be a nice buffer.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:55 pm

In for 3 for my Family! Back to Venice and Milano again.

LAS-IAH UA
IAH-FRA LH A380 !!
FRA-VCE LH
Enjoy one of the worst J products out there. LOL
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
If you are flying LH, make sure to get the 747-800, thru ORD its LH431 and gives you fully flat seat as per this photo.
http://www.btmagazine.nl/wp-content/...ess-Class1.jpg

I agree w other posters, other LH business product is pretty weak.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by stephem
If you are flying LH, make sure to get the 747-800, thru ORD its LH431 and gives you fully flat seat as per this photo.
http://www.btmagazine.nl/wp-content/...ess-Class1.jpg
For those of us lucky enough to book LH 747-8, in my case FRA-LAX, here's a great look at it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ess-class.html
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Enjoy one of the worst J products out there. LOL
How's AC's J Product?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.