Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
There are two categories of US cities involved, DL hubs and other, generally secondary, airports.
From some DL Hubs, UA P fares are valid to a much wider range of cities in Europe:
SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/CVG/MEM-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/BUD/PRG/CPH/IST/WAW/ARN/OSL/KRK/PRG/TLL/RIX/etc
(but not JFK nor LAX?)

Other airports are valid to a smaller set of cities in Europe:
BOS/SJC/SMF/MOD/BWI/BUR/ONT/SNA/PSP/HNL/SEA/PDX/AUS/PIT/TUS/TPA/ALB/etc/etc-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/etc

Most UA hubs don't have the fare filed (not SFO for sure), but apparently EWR has at least EWR-VCE/NCE (but not EWR-MXP/PMO/FCO/CDG)

Some destinations in Europe have a slightly higher base fare:
MRS/LYS

(please add more cities to either origin or destination side that are valid)

Be careful in your airline selection - there are PQM/RDM implications to this. For example, for the UA program, UA P earns 150% PQM/RDM, LH P earns 100% PQM/RDM, and it appears that OS P earns nothing.
Similarly it looks like UA P class credited to Aegean (A3) earns nothing. Visit this United webpage then click on the Star Alliance partner to determine mileage earnings.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Nothing was available from CLE. PIT was an option and CMH
Yep, got 4 from PIT to CDG. AMS, FCO, etc., were available as well.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mechteach
Yep, got 4 from PIT to CDG. AMS, FCO, etc., were available as well.
What dates were you able to grab?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
And that's a good thing, because these aren't tickets that are going to go away. United will honor them and not make a big deal of it.
There is a much lower risk of mistake fares not being honored with the DOT rules that went into effect a couple years ago: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...-sec399-88.xml

The fare could have been $1,400 or $400, it's all the same. Only difference is at $400, I would have bought more of them.

Delta honored their tickets from late last year (domestic F as low as $17 in some cases).

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
But if you're thinking this didn't cost UA anything, you're wrong. These seats sold for less than seats in Y, and in fact came up in any generic search for economy seats. You didn't have to be looking for them to find them. So UA lost about $200 on each seat for that reason alone. And then missed opportunity costs. If those seats were sold to an upgrader using miles, you've got the missing cost of 20,000 miles, plus a copay averaging $500, each way. So whatever the value of 40,000 plus $1000. And of course the obvious, the $1500 difference between the mistake fare and the normal cheapest price for a C TATL r/t.

The hard costs of providing that seat are irrelevant. They don't go empty in July, and the extra margin UA makes on a C seat offsets a lot of losses elsewhere.
It really depends on the route. From the East Coast to Europe, it's not that out of line of a fare. From the West Coast or HNL to Europe, particularly some of the secondary markets where there is no direct TATL service (e.g., some people booked MLA or VCE/PMO/NAP/etc.), it was a much better value.

But what this fare did give UA was an excuse for revenue underperformance for the summer. They'd probably under-shoot either way (as they have for the past several quarters), but now they have something they can blame.

I wonder if there are any *A repercussions. Since UA is responsible for the ex-USA TATL fares, it was clearly their mistake (if it was a mistake). This impacts not just UA's revenue, but all of the JV partners' revenue, so I wonder if there could be any liability for UA on that level as well.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I wonder how many were sold this morning. I'll say 1,000, but I have no real idea. It's not like this thing went viral across the internet. Did it cost UA money? Probably. But nobody's going to lose their job over selling $1500+ airline seats. I know there's tons of enthusiasm on this board to sit up front, but it's still $1500, and I'm not sure how many seats they sell for 2x that in summer.
Often $1500 for not so great routing too. But I do like my lie flats.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by channa

I wonder if there are any *A repercussions. Since UA is responsible for the ex-USA TATL fares, it was clearly their mistake (if it was a mistake). This impacts not just UA's revenue, but all of the JV partners' revenue, so I wonder if there could be any liability for UA on that level as well.
I don't think this was a mistake fare. It seemed to be much more of an overreaction of sorts because DL yesterday reduced the summer sale fares by like $1000+ in Germany and UAs hubs to a number of places. The only thing is that DL had a 10 day minimum stay on their low sale fares and UA just has a Saturday stay so if someone leaves the US on Friday or Saturday, they could come back Sunday on UA so the impact will be much larger than to DL and I'm sure they sold a lot more than DL. DL wasn't selling anything under $2000ai after about 5-6pm ET whereas UA had the fares valid all day and into this morning. Not sure what Smisek and UA are doing these days. Selling business class for less than coach class in peak season doesn't sound too smart but is great for the consumer
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by af fp
Interesting that nothing seems to be offered out of LGA / JFK.
Argh, I bought tickets on LH outbounds and UA return to FCO in July last month for 3K each
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL plat
Is it possible to change the dates on a farelock itin? I already had to cancel a different itin because the 24 hour period was about to expire and the agent could not replicate the same fare on different dates. All original fare rules were still obeyed, just the BF of the P fare was about $2k higher on all the new dates.

Few things hurt more than cancelling multiple ticketed $1450 P fares EWR-VCE in late August
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:11 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by iahphx
I wonder how many were sold this morning. I'll say 1,000, but I have no real idea. It's not like this thing went viral across the internet. Did it cost UA money? Probably. But nobody's going to lose their job over selling $1500+ airline seats. I know there's tons of enthusiasm on this board to sit up front, but it's still $1500, and I'm not sure how many seats they sell for 2x that in summer.
Yes....the last 24 hours increased UA's bank account, for sure.

It isn't like they are actually going to lose "real" money on this.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Yep, just changed the date of the last leg on a SAN-MXP flight, add collect was $8. Didn't bother to ask, why, just pushed thru as my original $ 500 base fare stayed whole. Entire trip is now $1556, incl some 3 intra-EU connections on LH business class.

Thanks to "LufthansaFlyer" for posting over at the M&M forum ^, which I came across purely coincidental, while looking for LH strike news.
Lucked out this time!
Glad you snagged the great fare! but it was Pat 'with a bunch of numbers' that brought it to my attention!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I don't think this was a mistake fare. It seemed to be much more of an overreaction of sorts because DL yesterday reduced the summer sale fares by like $1000+ in Germany and UAs hubs to a number of places. The only thing is that DL had a 10 day minimum stay on their low sale fares and UA just has a Saturday stay so if someone leaves the US on Friday or Saturday, they could come back Sunday on UA so the impact will be much larger than to DL and I'm sure they sold a lot more than DL. DL wasn't selling anything under $2000ai after about 5-6pm ET whereas UA had the fares valid all day and into this morning. Not sure what Smisek and UA are doing these days. Selling business class for less than coach class in peak season doesn't sound too smart but is great for the consumer
It was not a fare error....trust me.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:56 pm
mdb

I had seen some talk on FT on the DL forum about some lower summer fares, but wasn't seeing much on DL later last night.

Well check Expedia of all places and saw Dtw-NCE in July for $ 1521.... Snagged 2 ea in P class - old style C seats on a 346.... Rather happy thanks?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
It was not a fare error....trust me.
I am a firm believer that some of these errors are not errors and I am serious. The airlines can not have an official sale as regular customers would demand to repriced on more expensive tickets. In particular a few summers ago during the great recession in the USA a major carrier had extremely low biz class fares for days but no anouncement
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by travelsavant
Huge thanks to the OP! My RT SJC-IAH-MUC-FCO tkt is pricing out at just over $7k this morning! Booking hotels now! My sis & hubby booked 3 week trip RNO-SFO-FRA-FCO & are now planning to take a med cruise + visiting many places in Italy. My other family & friends who didn't book, are today wondering why they didn't jump on this fantastic deal and join us!
Very nice! I booked SJC-DEN-FRA-FCO, VCE-FRA-LAX-SJC mostly LH. Possibly the happiest I've ever been to transit returning in LAX. Thank goodness for GE. I had booked an excellently priced med cruise from VCE two weeks ago and this popped up to take care of the airfare and a side trip to Rome.

Lucky's blog tipped me off to this (he hat tipped Biggles209). So gasp, I'm one of the ones who got it from someone who blogged it with details. Huge thanks to everyone else who shared details, too.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:20 am

Congrats to those who managed to score this sweet fare. I hope Asia will get it's piece of action soon.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
What dates were you able to grab?
July 5 and 27, but when we looked, a lot of dates were open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.