MR to YYZ question

Old Jan 25, 14, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz
MR to YYZ question

I will be running to Toronto from MIA, and need to know if I plan on doing an immediate turn, do I need to clear customs and then enter or can I be considered a transit passenger and avoid customs all together?
Old Jan 25, 14, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Arriving flights are on a different level than departures so you will need to enter Canada Immigration & customs then go to departure level and clear US immigration and customs.If you have Nexus and Global Entry shoud be quick. If not you may need considerable time.
Old Jan 25, 14, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by pssteve View Post
Arriving flights are on a different level than departures so you will need to enter Canada Immigration & customs then go to departure level and clear US immigration and customs.If you have Nexus and Global Entry shoud be quick. If not you may need considerable time.
What if you only have Global entry?
Old Jan 25, 14, 10:21 pm

Global Entry should get you reciprocal Nexus benefits.
Old Jan 25, 14, 11:06 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AE Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat AMB
You're confused

Originally Posted by intltravel90 View Post
Global Entry should get you reciprocal Nexus benefits.
It's nexus that gets you global entry, not vice versa. You need the RFID card for Nexus, you only need your passport for GE.

Angust: You'll be able to use GE for US customs on your way home. It wont help on your way through Canadian customs, but I'm not sure if you'll have to go through the big customs line. Canadian customs for international connections is a separate customs area, I juat don't know if you'll have that option since you're connecting US-US.
Old Jan 25, 14, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
I would not recommend it.
As noted, GE will not help you entering Canada and depending on the number of arriving flights/pax, it could take a while to clear customs. Plus AA tries to turn those flights in 50 minutes and the last thing you want is to miss your flight and be stuck there. I would find a domestic destination for a MR.
Old Jan 26, 14, 8:11 am

I'm doing similar run as OP, from MIA, arriving 1:50pm. My return flight is to ORD leaving at 5:20pm, will 3:30hrs be enough for Canadian & US customs? This is on a Wednesday afternoon if that makes a difference.
Old Jan 26, 14, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Originally Posted by arollins View Post
I'm doing similar run as OP, from MIA, arriving 1:50pm. My return flight is to ORD leaving at 5:20pm, will 3:30hrs be enough for Canadian & US customs? This is on a Wednesday afternoon if that makes a difference.
You'll have plenty of time for that one.
Old Jan 26, 14, 8:31 am

Thanks SFO777, will proceed as planned.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: