Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL low fares across the board

[FARE GONE] DL low fares across the board

Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
Update - I called reservations about my cancelled FlightNetwork booking. The agent was not able to locate it using my FlightNetwork PNR, and I stupidly didn't print out my reservation from the Delta website, but she was able to find the booking when I gave her my dates of travel and flight numbers. A supervisor reinstated the itinerary and ticketed it, which took about 30 minutes.

I'll be perfectly honest, I didn't believe they would stand behind the fares at all in the first place. But when they said they would, and my booking was cancelled anyway, figured I'd call. I expected to get the run-around and get pointed back to the OTA, or outright denied because it was never ticketed, but they took care of it.

I haven't hesitated to give Delta a lot of flak for some of the things they've done over the years, but from start to finish I give them a lot of credit for the way they've handled this one. Regardless of what they may have been required to do under DOT regs, or whether you think they are benefiting handsomely from the publicity over the last few days, they've clearly gone a step beyond to make this a positive experience for their customers even though I'm sure it's costing them some dough.

^
Update to mine -

Called FlightNetwork earlier today. After 2.5 hours on hold I finally hung up. All I needed was the Delta PNR from them. I reached out via message to FN on Facebook and they responded with BS that there was no Delta confirmation number since it was never ticketed. Called BS on that since I knew there to be a Delta PNR since I saw it online only moments before FN canceled the itinerary, And FN insisted they had exhaustively reached out to Delta to no avail. My res was NYC-OGG-NYC.

Reached out to DeltaAssist on Twitter and got a great agent (Kristina!) who took the time to find my original reservation shell, reconstruct it, and set it up so that all I had to do was call in and ticket. Called in and got a FANTASTIC agent who hadn't heard of them reinstating, but consulted a supervisor and immediately went to town getting everything settled. All in all, was on the phone for 80 minutes, BUT, she energetically checked on me every 10 minutes and kept me informed the whole way. Finally came back, and fare was MUCH cheaper than what I originally booked! $140 vs. $199! And to boot, return was supposed to be into EWR, but someone miraculously rebuilt it to LGA, saving me the hassle of NJT.

As a major UA flyer, and having never flown Delta, this gives me a VERY positive image of them in my book. This is something they did not have to do, but the praise I'll now sing them to my friends and family is priceless.

Special thanks to everyone on here for keeping the optimism alive, and for empowering other FTers to strive for the same successful results. It reminds me what this community is all about!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Update to mine -

Called FlightNetwork earlier today. After 2.5 hours on hold I finally hung up. All I needed was the Delta PNR from them. I reached out via message to FN on Facebook and they responded with BS that there was no Delta confirmation number since it was never ticketed. Called BS on that since I knew there to be a Delta PNR since I saw it online only moments before FN canceled the itinerary, And FN insisted they had exhaustively reached out to Delta to no avail. My res was NYC-OGG-NYC.

Reached out to DeltaAssist on Twitter and got a great agent (Kristina!) who took the time to find my original reservation shell, reconstruct it, and set it up so that all I had to do was call in and ticket. Called in and got a FANTASTIC agent who hadn't heard of them reinstating, but consulted a supervisor and immediately went to town getting everything settled. All in all, was on the phone for 80 minutes, BUT, she energetically checked on me every 10 minutes and kept me informed the whole way. Finally came back, and fare was MUCH cheaper than what I originally booked! $140 vs. $199! And to boot, return was supposed to be into EWR, but someone miraculously rebuilt it to LGA, saving me the hassle of NJT.

As a major UA flyer, and having never flown Delta, this gives me a VERY positive image of them in my book. This is something they did not have to do, but the praise I'll now sing them to my friends and family is priceless.

Special thanks to everyone on here for keeping the optimism alive, and for empowering other FTers to strive for the same successful results. It reminds me what this community is all about!
Sounds very similar to my situation. Kristina was amazing!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:40 pm

Delta Customer Service

Seems Delta is impressing a lot of loyal UA/AA/US customers with their service due to this error. Hopefully those airlines are paying attention on how customer service is done. Seems everybody calling Delta is getting a very happy and energetic agent...When I call AA EXP even when things aren't bad, the AA agents seem to always be loathing their existence in their job.

Very impressed Delta!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Seems Delta is impressing a lot of loyal UA/AA/US customers with their service due to this error. Hopefully those airlines are paying attention on how customer service is done. Seems everybody calling Delta is getting a very happy and energetic agent...When I call AA EXP even when things aren't bad, the AA agents seem to always be loathing their existence in their job.

Very impressed Delta!
UA honored their mistake fare recently so its a zero sum game.. It never stopped folks here from b!thing about UA though...
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by azepine00
UA honored their mistake fare recently so its a zero sum game.. It never stopped folks here from b!thing about UA though...
True but UA Also would never have honored fares from reservations that weren't ticketed or help pax reconstruct them like Delta is doing.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by CDKing
I just notice the website offered to let me change flights to alternate routing. Unfortunately wants to $200 change fee since its outside 24 hours. I knew i should have tried that earlier I found flights with A bucket and fare difference was only $20
The website always charges the change fee even within 24 hours.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Delta wanted this story to go away quickly and honored fare quickly to sweep under rug similar to the United glitch which has all but been forgotten (until this surfaced). Compared to Korean Air (Palau) which floated for months on their FB site.
I don't think Delta wants this story to go away quickly at all. Not honoring the tickets would have led to a lot of negative publicity, especially given 1) UA honored fares in a similar situation and 2) it's the holiday season, and it's almost like taking presents away from someone. Whether they'd have been within their rights to cancel the tickets from a contractual, regulatory, or even ethical standpoint, I'll let others debate, but this episode could certainly have been another "big, evil airline" story that has become all too common these days, right or wrong, and instead it's more like the Oprah episode when the lucky few who attended won a car. Delta would love for this story to run for days, weeks, or longer... it's now a thing of legend. I think that's one reason they are going so far out of their way to reinstate auto-cancelled itineraries that failed to ticket. If everyone talks about this for weeks and no one can find a bad thing to say about this deal other than "darn, I was too late", this turns a blunder into a huge win for Delta.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 28, 2013 at 10:52 pm
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21

Very impressed Delta!
Couldn't agree more. I'm a US flyer who isn't sure what the merger will hold. I've flown DL a grand total of 2x in the last 7 years and never really gave them a second thought. But after dealing with the wonderful agent last night (as someone who has no status nonetheless), I can honestly say that I will be giving them much stronger consideration for my bookings in the 2nd half of the year (between this deal and the wideroe deal, my first half is fully booked).
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by halfpny
Couldn't agree more. I'm a US flyer who isn't sure what the merger will hold. I've flown DL a grand total of 2x in the last 7 years and never really gave them a second thought. But after dealing with the wonderful agent last night (as someone who has no status nonetheless), I can honestly say that I will be giving them much stronger consideration for my bookings in the 2nd half of the year (between this deal and the wideroe deal, my first half is fully booked).
^^ With the downward direction UA is trending and this positive experience will push significantly more $$ from me towards delta in the upcoming year. Kudos DL!

Last edited by LeftsideWindow; Dec 29, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Anyone have success with flightnetwork? I had 3 tix that authorized on card. Never got emails on anything was pretty close to deal going dead. Delta can't seem to find shell PNR and I out of luck? Flightnetwork can't find anything either.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by footastic
Anyone have success with flightnetwork? I had 3 tix that authorized on card. Never got emails on anything was pretty close to deal going dead. Delta can't seem to find shell PNR and I out of luck? Flightnetwork can't find anything either.
Did you get a confirmation email from FlightNetwork? The delta agent I spoke with got the Delta PNR from my name and flight numbers and flight info since I also missed getting the Delta PNR for the flightnetwork booking. I would keep calling delta agents until you find one who can do that for you.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Originally Posted by floressalicis
Did you get a confirmation email from FlightNetwork? The delta agent I spoke with got the Delta PNR from my name and flight numbers and flight info since I also missed getting the Delta PNR for the flightnetwork booking. I would keep calling delta agents until you find one who can do that for you.
No just the charge. Shows pending full amount. Bet it will drop Monday. I'll try back tomorrow
Old Dec 29, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Thank you to all who posted the information on the Vliegtickets.NL. I was able to follow all the instructions posted here and have them rebuild the ticket fares and actually got my 4 BE tixx for cheaper than what the European site would have charged.

As most of us will agree, the Res agents on the phone have been great so please take the time and get their name and ID and write into Delta and let them know how good they have been.

Happy Holidays all!
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:10 am

vliegtickets.nl

Hi all. I am following this thread and curious as to why all the posters with US locations booked their tickets via this European travel agency as opposed to going straight to the airline website or using a more mainstream ticketing service. Can someone please enlighten me as to the benefit(s)? Thanks!!
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by FastMJ
Hi all. I am following this thread and curious as to why all the posters with US locations booked their tickets via this European travel agency as opposed to going straight to the airline website or using a more mainstream ticketing service. Can someone please enlighten me as to the benefit(s)? Thanks!!
Pretty simple, the .nl site refreshed late its info, so once the fare was pulled from Delta.com or even XP.ca, they kept on working...
I booked my first two at XP.ca and then jumped to the ebookers.ie (and paid more fees) for my last two fares...
I think none of us had heard of it, gotta be careful, because on the next mistake fare someone will create "stealCCinfo4flights.com" and we'll send our info haha

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.