Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL low fares across the board

[FARE GONE] DL low fares across the board

Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Not sure if this is the correct area to ask, but figure what the heck...I have no status with Delta, but am EXP with AA. Would it make sense right before my flights start to do a status challenge to get Gold? I have 14,705 miles booked (not knowing dl that much, it looks like each mile flown is an MQM, for the bucket i'm booked in)? I'm just trying to get access to the better seats and not have to pay for checked bags (or try for an upgrade). Maybe get a credit card? thoughts?
You may have 14,000 MQMs booked but MQDs are also required... $2500 for Silver, $5000 for Gold, $7500 for Platinum status... So you'd have to get spend in addition to miles... And with these tickets, you don't have nearly enough spend.

Although spending $25K with the DL Amex cards wiaves the MQD requirement.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List
Seems like Delta QC is trying as best as it can to deny ticketing on a number of these via foreign OTAs... Interesting to see how this one wil play out...
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by h8stn4d
I'm pretty sure this is not true. You'd be able to drive a truck through the loophole if this were the case.

An OTA is, after all, a "seller of scheduled air transportation."
I think this post makes it pretty clear that carriers are required to follow the 24h rule, but ticket agents are not. I'd love to be wrong.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
Charge not on my CC, although ticket #s appear to be legit, but they don't show up with DL.
Do you see the tickets on the Saudia Web site (look up via "Manage My Bookings" using the ticket #)? I often use this site as an alternative to confirm e-tickets and get receipts (with fare/tax breakdowns).
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by tfc3rid
Seems like Delta QC is trying as best as it can to deny ticketing on a number of these via foreign OTAs... Interesting to see how this one wil play out...
This seems to be absolutely the case. It's got to be in the interest of the OTAs to book the tickets. I wonder what it will come down to? Probably if a 006 ticket was issued or not.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA, CO
I'm pretty sure this is not true. You'd be able to drive a truck through the loophole if this were the case.

The issue here is whether a foreign OTA is under DOT jurisdiction.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by dforest
They're owned by Orbitz though..
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
So where is everybody heading too?

I'm going to Orlando!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: UA, CO

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
They're owned by Orbitz though..
Understood, but ownership by a US parent company doesn't necessarily mean they have to play by the same rules as if they are based in the US.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by st1575
Do you see the tickets on the Saudia Web site (look up via "Manage My Bookings" using the ticket #)? I often use this site as an alternative to confirm e-tickets and get receipts (with fare/tax breakdowns).
Ah -- logged out I can pull up the reservation under both separate ticket #s. I guess that's a good sign, and means that they are indeed in DL's system as tickets. Thank you!

Going to St. Thomas, btw -- anyone gonna be there in late Jan?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by dforest
I don't think that's the issue, the DOT quote I found clearly stated OTAs were not governed by the same rules as the carriers with regard to the 24-hr cancellation policy.
Funny, we've got some people on here wishing OTAs (foreign or otherwise) would honor the tickets (.NL, Orbitz, etc) and some (myself included) who don't want their reservations and want a refund!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
[QUOTE=CabinCaptive;22034650]No receipt on DL.com -- however, I have a ticket # on the DL Android App (same number for both my wife and I, but I assume that is normal?).

Where do you see the ticket number for ebookers tickets on the Android App. I got a confirmation email from ebookers with the 006 ticket number, but want to see it on the App or delta.com which I cannot find anywhere.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BBPlaya13
Funny, we've got some people on here wishing OTAs (foreign or otherwise) would honor the tickets (.NL, Orbitz, etc) and some (myself included) who don't want their reservations and want a refund!
Exactly. I have not looked at the rules regarding 24 hr cancellation. These are entirely different from the rules regarding 'mistake' fares.

If an OTA, wherever located, sells air transportation to/from the US, they are subject to the DOT rules regarding mistake fares.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:38 am

Location: Currently somewhere between JFK and SYD (taking the long way)
Vliegtickets.nl working to ticket things?

Got the cancellation emails this morning from Vliegtickets.nl, which came as a huge shock. I'm actually totally booked the next 6 months so I booked these for my brother and sister to spend spring break in Hawaii. I feel badly now for getting their hopes up if these don't work out!

I sent an email this morning to Vliegtickets and some might find this interesting:

"We are a Dutch travel organization that operates under Dutch legislation. Our website is specifically designed for the Dutch and Belgium market.
Delta Airlines is the service provider in this case and is the third party that has uploaded these incorrect fares due to a computer error.
As it was not possible for us to print the tickets we have contacted Delta Airlines Netherlands and tried to get an exception concerning your reservation. Unfortunately Delta Airlines Netherland did not honor our requests and we have therefore refunded the money paid for your reservation.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused. We do understand that you refer to the US legislation but unfortunately these laws are not applicable to these reservations as they are made under Dutch legislation. We are therefore not able to process your request and to issue the tickets. Please note that we have requested the banks to process the refunds as soon as possible to reduce the impact of your inconvenience."

So I have proof of completed payment, confirmation numbers (both the Vliegtickets reference number and the DL confirmation number), and screenshots of all flights and seat assignments on Delta.com. I'm not quite sure how Delta can get out of only because ticket numbers weren't issued...

Isn't confirmation of flights and itinerary on their website paired with my bank statement sufficient proof that tickets were purchased? Sounds like it was their internal processing that caused delays. Also, "Delta Airlines Netherland" still falls under DOT regulation, right?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jordroz
Got the cancellation emails this morning from Vliegtickets.nl, which came as a huge shock. I'm actually totally booked the next 6 months so I booked these for my brother and sister to spend spring break in Hawaii. I feel badly now for getting their hopes up if these don't work out!

I sent an email this morning to Vliegtickets and some might find this interesting:

"We are a Dutch travel organization that operates under Dutch legislation. Our website is specifically designed for the Dutch and Belgium market.
Delta Airlines is the service provider in this case and is the third party that has uploaded these incorrect fares due to a computer error.
As it was not possible for us to print the tickets we have contacted Delta Airlines Netherlands and tried to get an exception concerning your reservation. Unfortunately Delta Airlines Netherland did not honor our requests and we have therefore refunded the money paid for your reservation.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused. We do understand that you refer to the US legislation but unfortunately these laws are not applicable to these reservations as they are made under Dutch legislation. We are therefore not able to process your request and to issue the tickets. Please note that we have requested the banks to process the refunds as soon as possible to reduce the impact of your inconvenience."

So I have proof of completed payment, confirmation numbers (both the Vliegtickets reference number and the DL confirmation number), and screenshots of all flights and seat assignments on Delta.com. I'm not quite sure how Delta can get out of only because ticket numbers weren't issued...

Isn't confirmation of flights and itinerary on their website paired with my bank statement sufficient proof that tickets were purchased? Sounds like it was their internal processing that caused delays. Also, "Delta Airlines Netherland" still falls under DOT regulation, right?
Exact same email I received from Vliegtickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.