Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boxo
As indicated in the thread title, this deal is now dead.

How do I manage my itinerary/check my booking/select seats?

Note that the displayed receipt will be incorrect ($5 higher than actual) owing to a programming error. The taxes/fees shown includes the original $5 WF booking fee. Do not worry about this; it does not change the amount you are actually billed.
How many miles will I earn on United from my flight?
Here's the UA master page listing airline partners. If you click on a partner logo, you'll see a page containing a chart showing the yield for flights taken on partner metal. (It even says explicitly that it's the metal that counts: "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class.")

MileagePlus (UA) earning charts for
Will I do better if I credit to another *A carrier instead?
Maybe.

Miles&More (LH, LX,...) earning charts for
  • United Airlines (UA) (K, L, T fares earn 50%, 25% for flights in 2014)
  • Lufthansa (LH) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Swiss (LX) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Air Canada (AC) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)

Here's the master list of partner earning charts for Aegean (A3) and here's the list for Turkish Airlines (TK).
Are there other FlyerTalk members flying when I am?
Quite possibly! There is a meetup thread on the CommunityBuzz forum. Post if you would like to participate.
Travel reports
Booking/ticketing reports, now largely academic, may be viewed in the wiki history.

Please report below any completed flights and/or difficulties encountered (checking in, boarding, etc.) that appear related to the booking circumstances.
  • Post #2428 reported arriving in STR on 11/28/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2670 reported arriving in MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2680 reported traveling EWR-MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by danpeake
Correct.

I don't think it would be the worst decision to chat with Wideroe at this point and ask them for a refund. You never know. They have more latitude depending on when you booked.
Sounds like OP wants to take the Wideroe flight and drop the previously booked UA ZFV-LAS flight.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by gbryan84
Sounds like OP wants to take the Wideroe flight and drop the previously booked UA ZFV-LAS flight.
Oh, I was thinking both tickets were booked this past weekend with Wideroe. Yes, I guess hope for a sked change or similar.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by krpjr
Simply easier to just go with the flow. Life isn't that hard. Making plans, shouldn't always be apart of the plan. If you're an outgoing personable person, you'll make things work and have fun wherever you go.
i like your attitude! life really isn't that hard! ^^^
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Putt86
Fairly new to MR world, assume that MX & WX stand for mechanical and weather-related delays or cancellation? Thanks!
Yes. You might want to note the FT Glossary (http://www.flyertalk.com/glossary/), which is listed in the links under HELP at the very top of each FT page.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Plt HertzpresC Avisfirst
Originally Posted by Putt86
I scored ewr-TXL (Berlin) and realize I already book zfv-las on same day (def oopsy move but I def will go to Berlin over Las Vegas). What's my option with zfv-las? Try to get voucher out of this one if possible and Want to see if anyone have similar experiences with book two different destination on day.
Considering your gold or higher and you have the time. You can try to do an SDC pushing it off every 18- 24 hours.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Nope, LH joined AF/KL is the variable YQ by class of service
And BA.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_jp

And I think it's only fair that the fat cats pay their fair share (which they don't!). There's a lot more plane/seat/staff/luggage to be lifted aloft for each Biz/First passenger than there is for each economy passenger!!! Why should they only pay the economy rate?

Last edited by irishguy28; Nov 27, 2013 at 8:23 am
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
http://www.aftenposten.no/okonomi/Da...e-7387060.html

Some interesting information from this Aftenposten article:
- Only 6228 tickets were sold over the weekend (not 15,000 as previously stated)
- Wideroe confirms a Wideroe employee leaked the deal on flyertalk, but claims he thought these were not mistake fares, rather part of a controlled price strategy
- Air Canada agrees to honor all tickets
- United is still reviewing and will not comment on whether it will honor the tickets
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And aditionally, they say that the loss in revenue (due to the normal sale of WK's own tickets being disrupted by the splurge on these UA/AC tickets) more than offsets their "gain" in booking fees for these UA/AC tickets.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And aditionally, they say that the loss in revenue (due to the normal sale of WK's own tickets being disrupted by the splurge on these UA/AC tickets) more than offsets their "gain" in booking fees for these UA/AC tickets.
Not sure I buy that part.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Not sure I buy that part.
Well, if they only sold that many tickets, they would only have gotten about $31k in booking fees at $5 a pop (which frankly lends credence to the idea that they weren't doing this just to make a bunch of extra commissions).

It doesn't take many missed tickets that people couldn't book to lose out on $31k in revenue.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:18 am

Now that AC will honor all the tickets, there is no reason for UA to not honor them.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by villox
Well, if they only sold that many tickets, they would only have gotten about $31k in booking fees at $5 a pop (which frankly lends credence to the idea that they weren't doing this just to make a bunch of extra commissions).

It doesn't take many missed tickets that people couldn't book to lose out on $31k in revenue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wider%C3%B8e_destinations

I imagine not many bookings were lost if someone couldn't book for a few hours on Saturday. Most of wideroes flights are domestic, and many of those destinations are only served by wideroe so it's not as if people can jump over to another airline
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: UA,AC,DL,AA
Originally Posted by B747forever
Now that AC will honor all the tickets, there is no reason for UA to not honor them.

You never know. Especially when Jeff is the boss.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747forever
There are probably 10 times more UA tickets than AC tickets.

Of course, it increases the pressure on UA, but UA has its own mind that it can make up!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by dcas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wider%C3%B8e_destinations

I imagine not many bookings were lost if someone couldn't book for a few hours on Saturday. Most of wideroes flights are domestic, and many of those destinations are only served by wideroe so it's not as if people can jump over to another airline
Well they said that they typically sell 900 some tickets over a weekend, so let's say just 25% of these people couldn't get through because the site was down and the tickets were only $200 a pop. Even then you're over $45k in revenue.

Of course they may have come back to try on Monday so who really knows except Wideroe when they look at the monthly numbers compared to what they forecast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.