Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boxo
As indicated in the thread title, this deal is now dead.

How do I manage my itinerary/check my booking/select seats?

Note that the displayed receipt will be incorrect ($5 higher than actual) owing to a programming error. The taxes/fees shown includes the original $5 WF booking fee. Do not worry about this; it does not change the amount you are actually billed.
How many miles will I earn on United from my flight?
Here's the UA master page listing airline partners. If you click on a partner logo, you'll see a page containing a chart showing the yield for flights taken on partner metal. (It even says explicitly that it's the metal that counts: "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class.")

MileagePlus (UA) earning charts for
Will I do better if I credit to another *A carrier instead?
Maybe.

Miles&More (LH, LX,...) earning charts for
  • United Airlines (UA) (K, L, T fares earn 50%, 25% for flights in 2014)
  • Lufthansa (LH) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Swiss (LX) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Air Canada (AC) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)

Here's the master list of partner earning charts for Aegean (A3) and here's the list for Turkish Airlines (TK).
Are there other FlyerTalk members flying when I am?
Quite possibly! There is a meetup thread on the CommunityBuzz forum. Post if you would like to participate.
Travel reports
Booking/ticketing reports, now largely academic, may be viewed in the wiki history.

Please report below any completed flights and/or difficulties encountered (checking in, boarding, etc.) that appear related to the booking circumstances.
  • Post #2428 reported arriving in STR on 11/28/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2670 reported arriving in MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2680 reported traveling EWR-MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cloudybw
I was able to SDC on the last segment to get back earlier using the app. Ticket number did NOT change, so it was only revalidated (not reissued).

During an earlier trip, I was able to SDC to an earlier flight for the first segment by agent. Again, ticket number did not change.

I am not sure whether I can change routing directly using the app or agent (UA+LH -> UA nonstop). Has anyone had any similar successful story? How smooth did it go?
I did similar things with mine. I was on UA IAH-EWR-TLV. I did a SDC online when checking in to a later flight to reduce my cxn time from 4 to 2 hours in EWR. Ironically, when I called UA Premier Line, 1st person said they couldn't do it because it wasn't a UA ticket #, 2nd person said they could do it and it would be $1953.34... REALLY UA? It's comical that their olci did it with no issue at all (fare classes were available and they changed the res instantly without changing ticket #)
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: AA, HHilton, Starwood
I have a EWR-ZRH-MXP flight. Has anyone been able to change their flight to a direct flight EWR-MXP . The connection time is approx 45 mins and I'd rather not waste time flyinging into ZRH.

If so, did you contact Wideroe or UA ?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by FrankFlyer
I have a EWR-ZRH-MXP flight. Has anyone been able to change their flight to a direct flight EWR-MXP . The connection time is approx 45 mins and I'd rather not waste time flyinging into ZRH.

Wideroe will tell you they can't help or, at the most, that they can rebook you at the current fare (including fuel surcharge).

UA will tell you they didn't issue the ticket and can't change it, even as part of a same-day SDC. (Plus, UA's SDC policy doesn't allow SDCs when there are codeshare flights involved.)

Your only real hope is IRROPS or a really nice UA agent who's willing to significantly break the rules...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat

Yes, although mine was 40 min through MUC. I called United and explained that I was very concerned about my connection. I got a sympathetic phone agent who offered to rebook me on the nonstop. Not only did I get the nonstop, but I also got rebooked on 016 stock. I just flew that ticket last week, and had no problems at all. I love friendly agents

You might have to play call-center agent roulette, or you might have to hope for a slight schedule change, but I was successful when I did it for mine, even it was breaking the rules. I didn't go through Wideroe at all.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, Club Carlson GLD, IHG Spire, Lifemiles GLD, Hilton Gold

I tried something very similar. It was completely impossible for me to make the change. I contacted UA, and they said I had to contact Wideroe.

Wideroe was not willing to make any changes. If you want to change anything, Wideroe will have to do it,and I doubt they will do it.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA, HHilton, Starwood
Thanks guy for your insight on the matter. I called UA a couple of weeks ago and the rep mentioned the ticket would be re-priced. I'll try again and hope to get one of the wonderful agents.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:31 pm

After passing ZRH (LGA-YUL-ZRH-MXP) few days ago, I hated the ZRH airport now due to excessive # of elevators and long walks. note: I'm travelling with baby stroller

I flew via ZRH in 2011 on J (BKK-ZRH-YUL) and remembered it okay, besides the so-so lounge
This time, after getting off YUL-ZRH at E-wing, had to pass through security first, long walk/elevators to underground train, more elevators up, Passport control into Terminal A
Terminal A lounge (little breakfast selections, sigh), then more elevators AND shuttle bus to the tarmac, in the rain, onto Avro RJ-100 to MXP, where we get bus'ed into MXP again, waiting forever for our "gate-checked carry-on".

Oh man.. I thought Gate check in N.A. was bad, or not children friendly, etc...
My return was MXP-FRA-YYZ, and I'll be able to compare then
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by jerryhung
After passing ZRH (LGA-YUL-ZRH-MXP) few days ago, I hated the ZRH airport now due to excessive # of elevators and long walks. note: I'm travelling with baby stroller

I flew via ZRH in 2011 on J (BKK-ZRH-YUL) and remembered it okay, besides the so-so lounge
This time, after getting off YUL-ZRH at E-wing, had to pass through security first, long walk/elevators to underground train, more elevators up, Passport control into Terminal A
Terminal A lounge (little breakfast selections, sigh), then more elevators AND shuttle bus to the tarmac, in the rain, onto Avro RJ-100 to MXP, where we get bus'ed into MXP again, waiting forever for our "gate-checked carry-on".

Oh man.. I thought Gate check in N.A. was bad, or not children friendly, etc...
My return was MXP-FRA-YYZ, and I'll be able to compare then
your previous BKK-ZRH-YUL didn't have security because you didnt enter Schengen zone at all (you stayed int'l zone). but YUL-ZRH-MXP meant ZRH was your first port of entry into Schengen Zone. dont judge so quickly without all the facts.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by epiding
your previous BKK-ZRH-YUL didn't have security because you didnt enter Schengen zone at all (you stayed int'l zone). but YUL-ZRH-MXP meant ZRH was your first port of entry into Schengen Zone. dont judge so quickly without all the facts.
Eh, I visited Zurich downtown during my 5 hours layover, so I did enter Schengen area

I'm simply stating my opinion, no need to defend or argue anything
Plus, I'm stating my opinion, as a dad now with family & 2 kids passing ZRH vs. 2011 when I was travelling alone.
IMO (and mine only) = ZRH wasn't too family friendly is annoying for family

Don't judge so quickly without all the facts :P
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Deadline to cancel?

I have a ticket on UA next week I may not be able to take. What is the deadline to cancel through WF to get tax/fee refunded? T-24? T-0.5? T-\epsilon?

It looks like some thunderstorm might hit so the first leg might be delayed which might cause misconnect. If that happens, may I ask WF for full refund? What about asking UA to rebook to another date with original routing/booking class without repricing?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by cloudybw
I have a ticket on UA next week I may not be able to take. What is the deadline to cancel through WF to get tax/fee refunded? T-24? T-0.5? T-\epsilon?

It looks like some thunderstorm might hit so the first leg might be delayed which might cause misconnect. If that happens, may I ask WF for full refund? What about asking UA to rebook to another date with original routing/booking class without repricing?
UA fare rules typically state "cancel by departure or forfeit the value." I don't know how being issued on WF stock affects that--WF cancellation/refund rules might apply instead. But assuming UA's does, then I think you can cancel up until the flight closes (generally T-10, but sometimes slightly earlier and of course occasionally later). Note there might be some technical issues preventing WF from processing a cancellation after you've checked in, so you might need to call UA and have them cancel your check-in before having WF cancel you off the flight and refund you.

Thunderstorm cancellations/rebookings are dependent on the terms of the weather waiver UA issues. Often (but not always) the weather waiver will allow you to rebook in the future with no change fee and no fare differential. You should be able to cancel for a full refund in most weather waivers, though. How WF will handle canceling/rebooking for a UA weather waiver is a question I don't know the answer to.

Last edited by jackal; Apr 13, 2014 at 2:59 pm
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Question for all, + great news!

My IAD-DXB had a leg cancelled this morning- flight was on a United 777-200. Was cancelled and rebooked on LX a380-800 JFK-FRA & FRA-DXB (a330) !!!!!

My reservation now says Economy fare class Y. LX website says Y earn 125% base miles. Do I now earn 125% UA miles?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
LX website says Y earn 125% base miles. Do I now earn 125% UA miles?
Yes.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=298
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, CO Gold
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
My reservation now says Economy fare class Y. Do I now earn 125% UA miles?
You will know when the miles post. I have had cases where the miles posted according to the original fare class, not the re-booked one.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

(As if this fare needed anymore verification)

Successfully flew the rescheduled LX JFK-FRA (A380!!) and then FRA-DXB. Wonderful flight. Mope fully I earn 125% base miles since it was rebooked in Y.

Dubai is a beautiful city, just had a 15.5 dirham taxi ride across town- $4!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.