Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boxo
As indicated in the thread title, this deal is now dead.

How do I manage my itinerary/check my booking/select seats?

Note that the displayed receipt will be incorrect ($5 higher than actual) owing to a programming error. The taxes/fees shown includes the original $5 WF booking fee. Do not worry about this; it does not change the amount you are actually billed.
How many miles will I earn on United from my flight?
Here's the UA master page listing airline partners. If you click on a partner logo, you'll see a page containing a chart showing the yield for flights taken on partner metal. (It even says explicitly that it's the metal that counts: "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class.")

MileagePlus (UA) earning charts for
Will I do better if I credit to another *A carrier instead?
Maybe.

Miles&More (LH, LX,...) earning charts for
  • United Airlines (UA) (K, L, T fares earn 50%, 25% for flights in 2014)
  • Lufthansa (LH) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Swiss (LX) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Air Canada (AC) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)

Here's the master list of partner earning charts for Aegean (A3) and here's the list for Turkish Airlines (TK).
Are there other FlyerTalk members flying when I am?
Quite possibly! There is a meetup thread on the CommunityBuzz forum. Post if you would like to participate.
Travel reports
Booking/ticketing reports, now largely academic, may be viewed in the wiki history.

Please report below any completed flights and/or difficulties encountered (checking in, boarding, etc.) that appear related to the booking circumstances.
  • Post #2428 reported arriving in STR on 11/28/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2670 reported arriving in MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2680 reported traveling EWR-MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by XLR26
I know they can fine up to $27k per passenger for long tarmac delays....something which, btw, DOT has yet to enforce to anywhere near that amount.

So DOT also has that amount of authority in regulating cases involving post-ticketing price changes?
The first on on AE was a little under $1,500 per passenger. For all we know a penalty for cancelling these itins could be even smaller.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/15/bu...lays.html?_r=0
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AutoSlash

4. The PR exposure would be a nightmare, especially for an airline that doesn't need any more bad PR after just substantially devaluing their FF program. If you notice, while the issue was reported in the Norwegian press, it was not reported by any major media outlets here in the U.S. While it's the hot topic here on FT, 99.9% of Americans think Wideroe is what happens when someone's husband passes away. Why on early would UA want to call attention to this? It's far cheaper to let me and everyone else here winter in DXB, BOM and MXP.
Agreed. So it's befuddling to me as to why you would try to bring more attention to it via your blog.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by CDKing
The first on on AE was a little under $1,500 per passenger. For all we know a penalty for cancelling these itins could be even smaller.

Yeah, United got hit last month for $1,200 per passenger. It'd be interesting to see UA roll the dice with DOT on this one.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing

Originally Posted by NYTIMES
One executive, Jeffrey A. Smisek, then the head of Continental Airlines, said the rule was “stupid” and would make things worse for passengers.
Takes one to know one Jeff (and in your case make even more stupid rules)
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, and about everything else
Anyone else get booked into L rather than K ??
I'm not complaining as I get full EQM and RDM on Swiss now.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:40 pm

So this is really weird, when I enter my United FF number, let's say it's ZZ123456, into the my trip page FF entry boxes using the format UA ZZ123456, it would save and then send me an email, but when I refresh and click modify again, the FF boxes became blank.
Then I entered UA ZZ123456 and AC ZZ123456 just to see what happens. After saving and refreshing, I went to the modify page and lo and behold, AC ZZ123456 is the only thing that remains.

In conclusion, Wideroe will not record your United FF number, but will gladly take your Air Canada FF number. That is messed up.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by divinebaboon
So this is really weird, when I enter my United FF number, let's say it's ZZ123456, into the my trip page FF entry boxes using the format UA ZZ123456, it would save and then send me an email, but when I refresh and click modify again, the FF boxes became blank.
Then I entered UA ZZ123456 and AC ZZ123456 just to see what happens. After saving and refreshing, I went to the modify page and lo and behold, AC ZZ123456 is the only thing that remains.

In conclusion, Wideroe will not record your United FF number, but will gladly take your Air Canada FF number. That is messed up.
Same thing for me except it's storing my US Air number instead.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree
out of curiosity, which metal are you flying on?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by divinebaboon
out of curiosity, which metal are you flying on?
ORD-AMS - United Metal
AMS-WAW - LOT
WAW-BRU - LOT
BRU-ORD - United
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:52 pm

Same here. Wideroe drops my UA FF number. I know that AC can't modify seat assignments, etc., but can they add the UA FF number to the reservation?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ikura
But can United deny boarding less you pay the YQ upfront?
Originally Posted by jfkeze
just to quote my favorite DOT regs...

in plain English, nope they can't force you to pay more. Since 90%+ of these flights originate in the US. I'm 99% sure DoT protection will be solid on these fares. If United cancels, in half a second I'm submitting my DoT complaint against them...
this is just like El Al last year, they forgot to charge YQ on some orbitz fares, all fares were honored...
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Think about this logically folks:

1. The DOT rules are *VERY* clear on this. If you spend the time to read them you will see that United really has no choice. The are legally bound to honor any confirmed tickets or pay a penalty far, far higher than what they would have lost in YQ.

2. Whomever is ultimate exposed here (United, Wideroe, Amadeus) as the one at fault will have to just work it out with the other two. It will likely be handled behind the scenes, and everyone will fly on their tickets without impact.

3. The fact that UA allowed all those people to fly from the mainland to Hawaii and elsewhere back in September of this year on tickets costing less than $10 should be an indication that everyone is safe. In that instance, UA *might* have had a way to worm out of it since the tickets were basically given away as opposed to sold, but they chose to let it go. As reported on FT, some people bought upwards 15 RT tix, and still UA will honor every single one of them.

4. The PR exposure would be a nightmare, especially for an airline that doesn't need any more bad PR after just substantially devaluing their FF program. If you notice, while the issue was reported in the Norwegian press, it was not reported by any major media outlets here in the U.S. While it's the hot topic here on FT, 99.9% of Americans think Wideroe is what happens when someone's husband passes away. Why on early would UA want to call attention to this? It's far cheaper to let me and everyone else here winter in DXB, BOM and MXP.
The rules are very clear but yet many are overlooking it. 399.88 applies to the seller; which is WF, not UA.

However, as with any error ticket booked by another TA/airline, UA will work out anything due to them via agreement with Amaedus/WF whether it is a debit memo for the YQ or some other procedure.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:53 pm

ORD-AMS - United Metal
AMS-WAW - LOT
WAW-BRU - LOT
BRU-ORD - United
I'm also having the issue:

LGA-YYZ - AC
YYZ-FRA - AC
FRA-MXP - LH
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by RyanOH81
Same here. Wideroe drops my UA FF number.
Odd. UA numbers for me & my DW went in fine & are still there on the Widerøe site.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK*G (not matched)
Originally Posted by justind
Anyone else get booked into L rather than K ??
I'm not complaining as I get full EQM and RDM on Swiss now.
I got T: 100% miles on TATL on LX, don't complain!

Last edited by germantraveler; Nov 26, 2013 at 5:01 pm Reason: got L and T mixed up
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodtimes321

Its been 72 hours and no official statement? Where is Aaron Goldberg on this one? Im afraid we may all be disappointed in the end. Although I hope and will be happy to be 100% wrong.

UA is not going to cancel anything, IMO. Tickets are fairly safe at this point. I'm not off booking a hotel yet, but my trip is also far enough ahead that notorious UA schedule changes are still potentially in play.
I was wondering about schedule changes as well. I'm on the AC NYC-MXP. Is AC as notorious as UA with schedule changes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.