FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [FARE GONE] LA: SAT-IPC (Easter Island) $597 RT a-1 DFW $617 LAX $687. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1515896-fare-gone-la-sat-ipc-easter-island-597-rt-1-dfw-617-lax-687-a.html)

RustyC Oct 26, 2013 5:04 am

[FARE GONE] LA: SAT-IPC (Easter Island) $597 RT a-1 DFW $617 LAX $687.

There's already a thread about the business class on this deal from TIJ or MEX and the OP deserves all credit, & I just wanted to break this one out to point up the coach fares and add the U.S. gateways, as both those factors probably make the deal accessible to a lot more people. U too might be able to scratch Easter Island off the bucket list!

Key fare code is SLESP00P for the MEX-IPC part on LA. Most routings use AM to MEX and then LAN either through LIM or straight to SCL. One stopover available at $75 (easiest for SCL or LIM or MEX, but others have been trying to get other places to work)

I'm not really an AA person, but it looks like you'd get 100% base miles on the S from MEX-SCL (4097 each way) and 25% on SCL-IPC (2330 each way) on LA (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That would be 9,359 total base miles.

Availability looks best in February and especially March, though I did see one date in November and one in December. The big cultural festival in Easter Island is Feb. 1-15 (wish I could do that, but had to go for March).

Price-wise it looks great, as $320 is considered good just for SCL-IPC RT (about same distance as SFO-HNL), and LA is the only carrier so it doesn't have to do sales often to IPC. $600 would be pretty good just to SCL.

If you can spare the extra money it also appears to be a great deal in business class, as per the other thread. The biz version also appears to have more lenient routing and stopover rules.

Dunno how vulnerable this one is to getting pulled but I've seen some movement on costs vs. yesterday, with SAT up $10 and DFW down $70 at the lowest point.

Sometimes it IS about the destination:):)

JamesQ Oct 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by RustyC (Post 21671551)
There's already a thread about the business class on this deal from TIJ or MEX and the OP deserves all credit, & I just wanted to break this one out to point up the coach fares and add the U.S. gateways, as both those factors probably make the deal accessible to a lot more people. U too might be able to scratch Easter Island off the bucket list!

Key fare code is SLESP00P for the MEX-IPC part on LA. Most routings use AM to MEX and then LAN either through LIM or straight to SCL. One stopover available at $75 (easiest for SCL or LIM or MEX, but others have been trying to get other places to work)

I'm not really an AA person, but it looks like you'd get 100% base miles on the S from MEX-SCL (4097 each way) and 25% on SCL-IPC (2330 each way) on LA (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That would be 9,359 total base miles.

Availability looks best in February and especially March, though I did see one date in November and one in December. The big cultural festival in Easter Island is Feb. 1-15 (wish I could do that, but had to go for March).

Price-wise it looks great, as $320 is considered good just for SCL-IPC RT (about same distance as SFO-HNL), and LA is the only carrier so it doesn't have to do sales often to IPC. $600 would be pretty good just to SCL.

If you can spare the extra money it also appears to be a great deal in business class, as per the other thread. The biz version also appears to have more lenient routing and stopover rules.

Dunno how vulnerable this one is to getting pulled but I've seen some movement on costs vs. yesterday, with SAT up $10 and DFW down $70 at the lowest point.

Sometimes it IS about the destination:):)

The movement in price from DFW seems to have been the DFW-MEX /MEX-DFW legs

elriddle Oct 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks OP! Snagged some tickets from DFW for my wife and myself in March. Used 15,000 Avios each for RT positioning from hometown of SLC. Always had Easter Island on the bucket list but thought it would be another 20 years before I made it there! Stoked!

YYZC2 Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Which 2013 dates are you seeing? I can't find anything...

elriddle Oct 27, 2013 10:25 pm

I couldn't find anything in 2013 either. Ended up booking the second week in March 2014 for a 5 night stay. Booked the trip on Orbitz (Aeromexico DFW-MEX, LAN MEX-SCL and SCL-IPC).

kburges Oct 28, 2013 12:01 am

I am seeing 1339.00 from dwf to ipc on orbitz, am I doing something wrong? For march dates 2014.

RustyC Oct 28, 2013 3:16 am

Hmmm...not seeing it on ITA anymore (though it's wee hours Mon. as I type this). I guess it really was a good deal. (Went over to Orbitz to check my trip record & thankfully the ticket number had been added).

Dunno about chances of resurfacing but I'm glad at least one other person got in. Also used the CHEAP20 at Cheaptickets.com to book the Tupa hotel at $60/nt. cancellable...seemed like decent deal.

JamesQ Oct 28, 2013 7:13 am

looks gone today.

bayoubabsy Oct 30, 2013 4:41 am

Originally Posted by JamesQ (Post 21681450)
looks gone today.

I still see some availability. Did a search on AA.com for depart 3/12 and return 3/16 DFW-MEX-SCL-IPC-SCL-MEX-DFW for total of $667.

maple Oct 31, 2013 8:47 pm

Did a search but the AM flights (which I need for connection) were not offered on AA.com?

dogcanyon Oct 31, 2013 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by maple (Post 21705029)
Did a search but the AM flights (which I need for connection) were not offered on AA.com?

True. I just booked one on AA.com about 3 hours ago for $667 using AA for the DFW-MEX and MEX-DFW segments. It was available on Orbitz for the same dates with the DFW-MEX and MEX-DFW segments on AM for about $53 less.

JamesQ Oct 31, 2013 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by dogcanyon (Post 21705239)
True. I just booked one on AA.com about 3 hours ago for $667 using AA for the DFW-MEX and MEX-DFW segments. It was available on Orbitz for the same dates with the DFW-MEX and MEX-DFW segments on AM for about $53 less.

Is there a reason why you chose AA over a lower cost AM?

maple Oct 31, 2013 10:12 pm

I eventually managed to book on Orbitz via AM DFW-MEX. The later departure fits me perfectly since I am connecting from Canada. Came up to $685 pp, including a stopover at SCL on the inbound.

THANK YOU OP!! IPC has been a dream since my childhood and I can't believe that I am going there for this cheaply!!

lewende Oct 31, 2013 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by JamesQ (Post 21705321)

This is an MR discussion board...;)

dogcanyon Oct 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by JamesQ (Post 21705321)

1.I'd rather earn AA AAdvantage miles than Delta SkyPesos
2.I have elite status with AA so I can check in at the First Class counter,
definitely get a premium Economy seat for free, get priority boarding and if
I'm lucky I may be able to upgrade to First Class for free using 2 of my 500
mile upgrade stickers. Also, in the case of a mechanical cancellation or
weather or other irrops AA is likely to treat me a lot better than AeroMexico.