Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] LA: SAT-IPC (Easter Island) $597 RT a-1 DFW $617 LAX $687.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] LA: SAT-IPC (Easter Island) $597 RT a-1 DFW $617 LAX $687.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by dogcanyon
1.I'd rather earn AA AAdvantage miles than Delta SkyPesos
2.I have elite status with AA so I can check in at the First Class counter,
definitely get a premium Economy seat for free, get priority boarding and if
I'm lucky I may be able to upgrade to First Class for free using 2 of my 500
mile upgrade stickers. Also, in the case of a mechanical cancellation or
weather or other irrops AA is likely to treat me a lot better than AeroMexico.
Good reasons. I never have flown AM, MX was so nice, never had a reason to try AM before.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Is this still around?

I know ITA Matrix has deteriorated in it's ability to comprehensively retrieve available fares, but I just did a month long search (5, 6, and 7 nights tried) for late Nov. to Dec. and the lowest fare it came up with was $2211.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:57 am
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Is this still around?

I know ITA Matrix has deteriorated in it's ability to comprehensively retrieve available fares, but I just did a month long search (5, 6, and 7 nights tried) for late Nov. to Dec. and the lowest fare it came up with was $2211.
It's been dead for a while
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
True. I just booked one on AA.com about 3 hours ago for $667 using AA for the DFW-MEX and MEX-DFW segments. It was available on Orbitz for the same dates with the DFW-MEX and MEX-DFW segments on AM for about $53 less.
I can get the itinerary you describe to show on AA.com using multi-city, but it always goes "no longer available" when I click through to purchase. Typical of the glitchy multi-city search on AA.com.... How did you manage to complete the transaction?

EDIT: okay, got it to price on AA using Hipmunk; took some work though...

Also is there any way to avoid the 24 hour layover in MEX, and get right to SCL? Overnight there is fine.

Last edited by pfbloom; Nov 1, 2013 at 10:18 am
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by pfbloom
I can get the itinerary you describe to show on AA.com using multi-city, but it always goes "no longer available" when I click through to purchase. Typical of the glitchy multi-city search on AA.com.... How did you manage to complete the transaction?

EDIT: okay, got it to price on AA using Hipmunk; took some work though...

Also is there any way to avoid the 24 hour layover in MEX, and get right to SCL? Overnight there is fine.
I got an 11:55 AM departure out of DFW arriving at MEX at 1:25 PM and connecting to the LAN 7:25 PM departure the same day. I suspect the problem may be that on the day you are wanting the only AA DFW-MEX flight with the right fare bucket arrives at MEX too late to connect with the 7:25 PM MEX-SCL flight, forcing an overnight. Also, on the "no longer available" issue, I got the same thing originally. I think it has to do with the reservation system "caching up" availability in order to do quick lookups and only going back to check actual availability "real time" when somebody selects one of them. Over the years, I have found that when this happens I can keep checking and often eventually the fare will be available. I started getting the "no longer available" message on Sunday, kept checking and on Thursday the flight I wanted was bookable on aa.com.

What dates are you interested in? If I see it become bookable on aa.com, I'll email you.

Also, one word of warning: The MEX-SCL segment is in booking class "S" which does not permit advance seat selection on LAN.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Orbitz

Got the itinerary that I want to price out on Orbitz, but upon entering CC info and hitting "book" it kicks me out. Not sure what the issue is.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:14 am

Is anyone able to ad BUE as a stopover... everytime I try the price hikes way up.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by JamesQ
Is anyone able to ad BUE as a stopover... everytime I try the price hikes way up.
I want this Easter Island trip a lot...but from TIJ (Tijuana, MX) US$1544ai in Biz Class.
Yet I need to go to Porto Alegre, Brazil and the add-ons from SCL are crazy. So Buenos Aires helps a lot as a stopover for me also.

Last edited by x1achilles; Nov 4, 2013 at 2:33 pm Reason: *
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Seeing March dates again. SAT $598 DFW $594-667 LAX $698

Did an ITA search today on 6-9 days and found the low fare on some dates in the first 3 weeks of March 2014, with SAT at $598, DFW $594-667 and LAX $698. Also MEX at MXP equivalent of about $475.

Looks like it's baaacccckkk! Hard to say how long, though. Would make quite a spring break trip (I'll be there 3/7-12, then a few days in SCL).
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by RustyC
Did an ITA search today on 6-9 days and found the low fare on some dates in the first 3 weeks of March 2014, with SAT at $598, DFW $594-667 and LAX $698. Also MEX at MXP equivalent of about $475.

Looks like it's baaacccckkk! Hard to say how long, though. Would make quite a spring break trip (I'll be there 3/7-12, then a few days in SCL).
Having a little trouble building a stopover in SCL. Any advice?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Here we go again

Looks like the fare is still up for a number of days in Feb. and March. out of MEX (the LAN portion) at about $473, but the MEX-SAT/DFW/LAX portions aren't pricing as I write this. That part seems to be the off-again, on-again.

Also notice on ITA some 3-stop combos (MEX-IPC) on some dates including LIM or EZE. To make that a stopover at $75 you'd need seats on the onward flights, which can be tricky. I did the SCL stopover using the multi-city tab on ITA and +/- 2 days on the segments to try to hit on the most possible complete trips.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by wcalvert
Having a little trouble building a stopover in SCL. Any advice? (regarding the LA: SAT-IPC (Easter Island) $597 RT from DFW $617 LAX $687. AA miles & Easter Island!
Yes - I'm having the same problem getting any lengthy stopover in SCL. I can squeeze 18 hour layover into the outbound, but little to nothing on the return. And somewhat inconvenient times. Would be nice to have a day or two in SCL....

FURTHER NOTES:

Routing is also available from LAX or JFK for about $767, must route through MEX and LIM with again some inconvenient times, late night layovers in LIM etc. And I am having trouble finding an OTA to book this, though ITA shows multiple options.

The one return that sometimes shows up via EZE does not appear to permit a stopover. It's merely a 4 hour early morning layover of a two-leg LA direct flight SCL-EZE-LIM with same flight number.

There are many ways of extended layover in MEX, and even LIM. Not so much for SCL unfortunately.

Tips on OTA to use? Ideas for SCL layover?
This fare still looks good for some dates in March.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Exclamation AA/LAN: MEX-IPC for $450.74 a.i, 12,979 EQM's @ 3.4cpm

Mexico City to Easter Island Chile for $450.74 a.i.,

Earn 12,979 EQM's, must be all operated flights on LAN to earn AA elite qualifying miles. Comes out to 3.4cpm!

bookable on AA.com

Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Honors Diamond
Still active, but barely

Just booked MEX-IPC outbound 3/15 with a return on 3/22 via Orbitz (1:30am EST) at ~$450.

It took a lot of attempts, but I finally found a link that did not say "this fare is no longer active." I managed to book on red-eyes with 12 to 16 hour daytime stopovers in Lima and Santiago. Looks like my spring break will be 2 days in Mexico City, 1 day in Lima, 1 day in Santiago, 4 days on Easter Island, and then back to MEX and the States. Should be a whirlwind of a week!
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: MR Plat/AA EXP/DL Silver/SPG Plat/HH Gold/Hyatt Plat/
I think the intra-South American fares only earn 25%

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...rlines/lan.jsp

otherwise great fare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.