Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

ORD-PVG-ORD AA Mileage Run ( not deal based)

Old Oct 3, 13, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3M Bonvoy Titanium Elite

PREFACE: Searched thread and forum to try and find applicable info but could not. Please advise links if I missed something.

Looking at ORD-PVG mileage run on 12/17 AA289 arrive PVG 3:05PM on 12/18. Very tempting to book myself on the return 3 hrs later AA288 at 6:00PM and skip overnight and only be gone one night for 14K Miles. I've flown into PVG many times and know the routine, but am curious if anyone has done this and if they sweated any part of the process or had any issues at customs with a funky itinerary? There is a PVG-LAX-ORD I could use as a fall-back at 9PM (I believe) if there were delays. I am an EXP fwiw.

Much Thanks
Old Oct 3, 13, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
PREFACE: Searched thread and forum to try and find applicable info but could not. Please advise links if I missed something.

Looking at ORD-PVG mileage run on 12/17 AA289 arrive PVG 3:05PM on 12/18. Very tempting to book myself on the return 3 hrs later AA288 at 6:00PM and skip overnight and only be gone one night for 14K Miles. I've flown into PVG many times and know the routine, but am curious if anyone has done this and if they sweated any part of the process or had any issues at customs with a funky itinerary? There is a PVG-LAX-ORD I could use as a fall-back at 9PM (I believe) if there were delays. I am an EXP fwiw.

Much Thanks
Do you have a Chinese visa?
Old Oct 3, 13, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I thought no visa required if under 24hr.
Old Oct 3, 13, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Alaska MVP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by arollins View Post
I thought no visa required if under 24hr.
You need a visa unless you are transiting to another country. You cannot just turn around to the US without a visa. I just recently had 2 trips to China (one transit and one not). Everyone asks for your visa. Don't risk it.
Old Oct 3, 13, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by smitty06 View Post
You need a visa unless you are transiting to another country. You cannot just turn around to the US without a visa. I just recently had 2 trips to China (one transit and one not). Everyone asks for your visa. Don't risk it.
+1.. Get a tourist visa and don't risk it.
Old Oct 3, 13, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a difference between a turnaround (where implicitly China is the destination) and transit (to a third country). Several threads in the China forum on FT discuss this extensively.
Old Oct 3, 13, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
Do you have a Chinese visa?
Yes..will be there next month for week long stay and have multi entrance Visa
Old Oct 3, 13, 8:39 pm

ORD-PVG-ORD Mileage Run ( not deal based)

Go for it. Same plane will run ORD-PVG as will run the return. Barring a huge line at immigration you will be fine. Sounds like a wonderful trip, especially if done in economy class!
Old Oct 4, 13, 12:01 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Go for it. Same plane will run ORD-PVG as will run the return. Barring a huge line at immigration you will be fine. Sounds like a wonderful trip, especially if done in economy class!
Bearable in row 31 maybe but only just.
Old Oct 4, 13, 4:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just be sure to heed the visa advice! My upcoming MIA-ORD-PVG-NRT-ORD-MIA trip includes the transit to NRT, and therefore qualifies for the PVG 72-hour TWOV (transit without visa).
Old Oct 4, 13, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tomofmaine View Post
Just be sure to heed the visa advice! My upcoming MIA-ORD-PVG-NRT-ORD-MIA trip includes the transit to NRT, and therefore qualifies for the PVG 72-hour TWOV (transit without visa).
Well done!

One could also add Hong Kong in one direction only to use TWOV or HKG in one direction and NRT in the other for TWOV. However, you must enter and depart China through two different countries, looking only at the segments into and out of China, where Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan do not count as part of China for this purpose.
Old Oct 4, 13, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Thx everyone..Praying EVIP clears to business. I picked these flights due to supposedly lots of Biz inventory open..yes..I know I need an EF subscription!
Old Oct 4, 13, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tomofmaine View Post
Just be sure to heed the visa advice!
And bring documentation! Last winter I almost got denied by a UA agent at SFO checking in for a 47-hour TWOV through PVG (right before they upped it to 72 hours). She refused to look at my print-out from TIMATIC and only printed the BPs after incorrectly reading part of the itinerary. It would've really taken a fight to get on the flight if she hadn't made a "mistake."
Old Oct 4, 13, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post

Much Thanks
Go for it! I've done it in reverse (PVG-LAX-JFK, stayed 3 hours then JFK-LAX-PVG). For pure mileage running, it's nice not to stay overnight if you don't have any particular reason to (e.g., meeting friends).

As far as PVG, I think you won't have a problem on the entry lines with three hours.
Old Oct 4, 13, 10:46 pm

Programs: MUCCI, AA Lifetime Gold, Proudly BA Blue,, Wally Club!
Wow - you guys are crazy. Elite status is worth flying all the way to China and back for?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: