Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] US: PHL-DFW $108 a/i - back again

Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:42 pm
LRD
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond

Posted awhile back in the "good deals in economy thread", but it's back and with (I believe) more availability than before.

Sample date: 25SEP - 25SEP.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: Too many to list
If I can only find what to do in PHL
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
US: PHL-DFW $108 a/i - back again

Too bad only nonstops are at this price
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:02 pm

Great find! I tried plugging in for a same-day turnaround and found Sept. 21 for $108. At first it denied the itinerary, saying it was because the return had to be more than one hour after the incoming flight (which is funny because US gives me some of the tightest connections ever). Maybe it thought I was trying to leave the secure area of the airport? Anyways, it worked when I plugged in PHL->DFW and DFW->PHL in the "Multi-City" itinerary finder. Strange.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:40 pm

I don't get it. Are they trying to compete with AA?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by rusrocket
I don't get it. Are they trying to compete with AA?
I don't think so, esp. now that they're merging. Maybe adjusting routes because of it?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:38 am

Also, just booked for Sept. 6 same-day turnaround! In DFW for all of about 45 minutes
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by 12fly
............ At first it denied the itinerary ...... it worked when I plugged in PHL->DFW and DFW->PHL in the "Multi-City" itinerary finder. Strange.
Same trick often works with DL when searching for price vs specific routing.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:42 am

i'm a noob here,

i don't understand why one would want to do this?

Last edited by Dillsnik; Jul 18, 2013 at 7:52 am Reason: Ha, NM found out what a mileage run is...you people are crazy!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dillsnik
i'm a noob here,

If you are asking about returning within minutes of arrival, it is called a mileage run. A trip taken to obtain mileage, usually to maintain elite status.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:58 pm

i'm a noob here,

Well we all have varying reasons, but it basically comes down to keeping frequent flyer status. For instance, I have Star Silver with US Airways, which gives me a free bag, free first class upgrades, 25% mileage bonus etc. But with my normal flying patterns, I wouldn't hit the 25k needed to requalify, so this is a cheap way to get more miles (comes out to about $0.04 per mile).

I'm also trying to earn Star Gold with Aegean (Greek airline), which only requires 20k miles. With Star Gold, you get 3 free checked bags across all 27 member airlines, priority baggage handling, priority boarding, sometimes priority security, and lounge access to all Star Gold lounges (something the domestic programs do not offer when traveling in the US). AND, it's good until 2015 and is super easy to maintain.

So that's the gist of it. Sounds really crazy to some, but it's kind of an addiction. It can be really fun and worth it though.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:09 pm

i guess without knowing people do this i found it crazy that people would do a return flight, just for mileage status, basically spend a whole day....but i guess it's worth it for the perks!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:26 pm

Also just bought a same-day turnaround for Sept 14! Although this time the online system would NOT let me book with less than an hour in between, so had to call for them to do it. They waived the service fee though.

Last edited by 12fly; Jul 18, 2013 at 4:27 pm Reason: Wrong date
Old Jul 18, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
i guess without knowing people do this i found it crazy that people would do a return flight, just for mileage status, basically spend a whole day....but i guess it's worth it for the perks!
You can be surprisingly productive on a flight as well if you don't mind the traveling. I usually get most of my letter writing and reading done on them
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA
Thanks for this....snagged one today!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.