Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Turkey unrest & protests = low summer fares?

Old Jun 5, 13, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Looking to purchase a couple of tickets for mid-July - mid-August travel to from North America to IST.

Anyone see any downward movement on fares related to the Turkey unrest?

Cheers!
jjgollum
Old Jun 6, 13, 12:29 am

Programs: UA/AA
You'll have a better chance of finding a discounted summer fare to Damascus. The best routing is via Kabul for maximizing FF miles.
Old Jun 6, 13, 10:11 am

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
Angry I'd rethink this idea...

My daughter is completing her dissertation and has spent 3 1/2 years of the past 5 in Turkey. She has many contacts in Turkey and is in the loop politically there since the Phd will be in Political Science.

Traveling to Turkey is a high risk venture right now. Her contacts indicate that there is a massive amount of anger against the government just below the surface and that it is not just isolated in Istanbul.

Plus, the State Department just issued a warning about travel to Turkey. I love Istanbul and want to go back; however right now is not the time to go to build up FF miles.

You could go and have a great time. You could also go and end up in a very bad place. My experiences have taught me that whenever someone thinks it can't happen to them - they are usually the one it does happen to.

Consider yourself warned.

TBF

Originally Posted by jjgollum View Post
Looking to purchase a couple of tickets for mid-July - mid-August travel to from North America to IST.

Cheers!
jjgollum
Old Jun 6, 13, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Gold, AA, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by thebigfish View Post

Plus, the State Department just issued a warning about travel to Turkey. I love Istanbul and want to go back; however right now is not the time to go ...

TBF
Thanks for this post. I just re-worked my trip. Until yesterday, there was no warning/advisory posted on the US Dept. of State website. The moment I saw that, I decided not to take the chance. I've personally seen how "group thinking" can make a huge (negative) impact.
Old Jun 6, 13, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Bronze

Cheers!
jjgollum
Had to laugh at this. If airline X's fares plummeted because their planes kept falling out of the sky, would you be banking on the downward trend for a summer break?
Old Jun 6, 13, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be surprised to see any moves re fares by the airlines within such a short time period.
Travel agencies in Europe see little cancellations sofar on what are primarily trips to vacation spots oceanside; so, most folks stay away from the hot spots like Istanbul and Ankara.
Maybe the U.S. travel advisory is a bit premature
Old Jun 6, 13, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Turkey travel advisory

I just checked at 6 June, 18:29 PDT on the State Dept. website and there is no mention of Turkey in their travel advisories over the last 3 months.
What is your source?
Old Jun 6, 13, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by x1achilles View Post
I just checked at 6 June, 18:29 PDT on the State Dept. website and there is no mention of Turkey in their travel advisories over the last 3 months.
What is your source?
It's not on the current travel warnings (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_1764.html) but there is a travel alert for the country of Turkey (http://turkey.usembassy.gov/em_060513.html).
Old Jun 6, 13, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Cheers!
jjgollum
Keep in mind that they can fill flts to Turkey with connecting PAX due to IST being a *A hub.
Old Jun 6, 13, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jaymar01 View Post
You'll have a better chance of finding a discounted summer fare to Damascus. The best routing is via Kabul for maximizing FF miles.
Not to mention free visas for Chinese passport holders (HK and Macau are treated as such.)
You forgot to add a connection in MGQ.
Old Jun 9, 13, 6:09 am

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
Keep in mind that they can fill flts to Turkey with connecting PAX due to IST being a *A hub.
Just saw a lot of award availability open up in the last 2 weeks of august - JFK-IST and points beyond that wasn't there before. Could be standard TK procedure or could be cancellations, not enough data to tell..
Old Jun 12, 13, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I really enjoyed my MR in March to IST and wanted to return as soon as I left. I am very upset that this is happening there and hope for a speedy resolution so we can return.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: