Miles&Points

Mileage Run Deals

Mileage Run Discussion

How do you guys book ITA Matrix flight?

Old Jun 4, 13, 12:09 am
Original Poster

I just learned how to use ITA Matrix, looks like it is one of the best tool to play around for cheap flight.

Now after finding cheap flight, I have trouble booking it, how to book it.

Straight forward trips are usually never a problem.

However, I can't book those trip that has multiple stop over. Please teach me. Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 13, 6:07 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by watermen View Post
I just learned how to use ITA Matrix, looks like it is one of the best tool to play around for cheap flight.

Now after finding cheap flight, I have trouble booking it, how to book it. Straight forward trips are usually never a problem. However, I can't book those trip that has multiple stop over. Please teach me. Thanks.
Take the ITA info and enter it leg by leg into a multi-leg form on your favorite OTA or carrier. Often you must be very specific about departure times for each leg. Enter departure hour as the specific hour rounded backwards - i.e. a 6:45am departure would be entered as 6:00am on the form drop down menu.

For itineraries with more than six segments you may have to experiment with combining legs -- i.e. NYC-IAH-SFO-LAX-HNL may need to be truncated to three segments NYC-IAH, IAH-SFO, SFO-HNL or another combination to price out correctly.

Also I think there's a way to enter ITA codes in Hipmunk. Smarter people may be able to add that info here.
Old Jun 4, 13, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
more discussion here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...found-ita.html
Old Jun 4, 13, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by jrl22 View Post
And as if on command, a very good tutorial on FlightDeal today:
http://bit.ly/17m4573
Old Jun 4, 13, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Hipmunk

Here's how to use Hipmunk. This is always my next stop once I find a fare on ITA. I also have been lucky enough a few times to find even better routes once I search on Hipmunk.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...-run-bookings/
Old Jun 4, 13, 3:49 pm

YMMV on Hipmunk....

Admittedly I'm looking at fairly complex international itins... but even when plugging in exactly the same syntax as I used on ITA to find the fare in the first place I just get:

"Your search produced no results" or words to that effect...
Old Jun 4, 13, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
YMMV on Hipmunk....

Admittedly I'm looking at fairly complex international itins... but even when plugging in exactly the same syntax as I used on ITA to find the fare in the first place I just get:

"Your search produced no results" or words to that effect...
Yes, It's certainly not perfect. I've had fares show on up ITA and directly on the airline's site but not on Hipmunk. And I've definitely had the same "no results" stuff. However, I personally think it's a good option to have in addition to all the others. It's much easier to use the same advanced routing codes from ITA there and (hopefully) have it send you directly to the airline's site to book than it is trying to type in each leg on the notoriously unreliable airline sites, imho.
Old Jun 20, 13, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks for the information. This will help me as well as the oringinator of this tread. ^^^^^
Old Jun 20, 13, 3:57 pm
dsf

Programs: BA Gold
^ I'd never heard of Hipmunk, so thanks for alerting me to its existence. That said, I'm still struggling I've made Hipmunk to bring up the exact itinerary I found on ITA, but it doubled in price at the OTA. Other sites brought up different connections on the same route and matched ITA's price exactly, but told me the fare was non-refundable (ITA says it's unrestricted). Frustrating.
Old May 29, 16, 4:09 pm

Hate to revive an old thread, but I stumbled on this while searching for ways to book ITA Matrix. I recently created and improved (with a lot of help from the Flyertalk community) BookWithMatrix, at https://bookwithmatrix.com/, a tool that helps with booking itineraries found on ITA Matrix. It actually works with a good portion of itineraries, so if you're having trouble with Hipmunk it might be worth a shot.

Screenshot below:

To clarify, while we were inspired by the ITA PowerTools, we do not use any code from it, and encourage you to check it out for the extra advanced features it offers!

Last edited by phsource; May 30, 16 at 6:23 pm Reason: Added screenshot so it's more obvious it's a website; also added reference to ITA PowerTools
Old May 29, 16, 4:20 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Why not just use the ITA script? Works great and was created/maintained by FT members
Old May 29, 16, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by phsource View Post
I recently created and improved (with a lot of help from the Flyertalk community) BookWithMatrix, at https://bookwithmatrix.com/
All I get is:

502 Bad Gateway

nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)
Old May 29, 16, 5:15 pm

My bad; was changing something, and it should be up again now!

I was actually inspired in large part by the ITA Powertools script; I envisioned this as something that would be helpful for one-off users of ITA Matrix who may only book ITA Matrix once in a blue moon! Personally, I also have Powertools installed, though, as it also has tons of other useful stuff like mileage calculations; linking to it so that it's easy to find in this thread. ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK
Old May 29, 16, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by skunker View Post
Why not just use the ITA script? Works great and was created/maintained by FT members
There are probably people who would rather not (or can't) fiddle with scripts and GreaseMonkey and the like. Besides, choice is good.

I tried a straightforward A-B-C-A multi-city search, which became a 6-segment itinerary. Using this site to feed it to AA seemed to work properly.
Old May 29, 16, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by phsource View Post
My bad; was changing something, and it should be up again now!
Thanks, will try it out ^

Search this Thread