Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA has changed flights in upcoming MR - options??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

I had this one scheduled foe later this year:

AUS-DEN-BWI-LAX-SAN-IAH-AUS,

and United has changed several flights resulting in missed connections.

I called to change to AUS-LAX-BWI-LAX-SAN-EWR-AUS. Can I assume that extra EQMs will be credited to my account? This will move the cpm down from 3.7 to 2.5.

Is this a reasonable expectation from my side???

Fly Safe!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will earn based on the route you actually fly. If you got them to make those changes for you then you can expect to earn based on the revised routing.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Originally Posted by ruthenium101
I called to change to AUS-LAX-BWI-LAX-SAN-EWR-AUS. Can I assume that extra EQMs will be credited to my account? This will move the cpm down from 3.7 to 2.5.

Is this a reasonable expectation from my side???

Fly Safe!
Yes, it is a reasonable expectation.
FYI, I call UA for every schedule change. I tell them the new schedule is not suitable, and I propose a (longer) alternative. I have only been refused once!
In fact, I turned a EWR-SFO-TUS (overnight)-SFO-EWR MR into EWR-SFO (overnight)-TUS-DEN-SFO (overnight) for $282 a i 7000 miles = 3.7 cpm. Got to spend 2 nights in San Fran!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks mates! This is my first year of MRing - before 2013 I had no issues qualifying for 1K and, once, GS through work travel.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:16 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Yes, it is a reasonable expectation.
FYI, I call UA for every schedule change. I tell them the new schedule is not suitable, and I propose a (longer) alternative. I have only been refused once!
In fact, I turned a EWR-SFO-TUS (overnight)-SFO-EWR MR into EWR-SFO (overnight)-TUS-DEN-SFO (overnight) for $282 a i 7000 miles = 3.7 cpm. Got to spend 2 nights in San Fran!
Like you I have been able to change a simple run into something more "lucrative" but remember that the key is to be prepared when you call in (and hope you get a good agent but if you don't, remember F/t101 and hang up, wait a bit and call back )

Before: SFO-IAH-FLL-IAD-SFO (same day turn)
After: SFO-LAX-EWR-FLL-IAD-SFO (redeye the night before to EWR)

Before: SFO-IAD-CHS-IAD-SFO (same day turn)
After: SFO-BOS-IAD-CHS-IAD-SFO (redeye the night before to BOS*)

*and after I got of the phone, I gave myself a dope slap as I could have added SFO-LAX-BOS to the outbound
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:10 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=goalie;20516823]
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
but remember that the key is to be prepared when you call in (and hope you get a good agent but if you don't, remember F/t101 and hang up, wait a bit and call back )

This is exactly what I've done, i.e. called in with the list of specific changes and flight numbers. Agent followed me to the letter, no questions asked. I can only wonder what he was thinking....

I wonder if there are ways to leverage this strategy further. How can one anticipate changes in UA scheduling in 6-12 month timeframe, particularly in coastal airports? It appears that it's possible to shave off 1-1.5 cpm from a MR. Just a thought.

Fly safe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.