Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

ex-CMB to LAX; pricing with stopovers?

Old Jan 5, 13, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)

Hi All,

I'm trying to get an F ticket ex-CMB to LAX in August (via SIN, DXB and LON) but with stopovers in DXB and/or LON. Although the fare rules seem to permit unlimited stopovers, the price multiplies by at least 5 times when I try to add in a stopover anywhere.

(E.g. A simple one way via SIN, DXB and LON prices ok for 26th August at around $2100 for example, but if I try to add a stopover in DXB from 10th August to 26th August, the price changes substantially.) Trying various dates doesn't seem to make a difference despite A class being available on all dates I want.

I've been using Matrix and Orbitz but still can't get it to work despite various permutations. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 13, 10:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
what carrier?
Old Jan 5, 13, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Vitriol01 View Post
Hi All,

I'm trying to get an F ticket ex-CMB to LAX in August (via SIN, DXB and LON) but with stopovers in DXB and/or LON. Although the fare rules seem to permit unlimited stopovers, the price multiplies by at least 5 times when I try to add in a stopover anywhere.

(E.g. A simple one way via SIN, DXB and LON prices ok for 26th August at around $2100 for example, but if I try to add a stopover in DXB from 10th August to 26th August, the price changes substantially.) Trying various dates doesn't seem to make a difference despite A class being available on all dates I want.

I've been using Matrix and Orbitz but still can't get it to work despite various permutations. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
did this last summer, with same issue i believe you/i hit the HIP rule--ie., some stopovers are high priced, so this rule overrides the "unlimited stopover" provision
Old Jan 5, 13, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by clacko View Post
what carrier?
aa stock with ek or ba over the ocean, i believe?
Old Jan 5, 13, 4:08 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA SG
As alluded to above, you are incurring a Higher Intermediate Point rule. Basically, you are entitled to as many stopovers as you want but it will re-fare to the highest of CMB-LAX, CMB-DXB, DXB-LAX, CMB-LON, DXB-LON and LON-LAX.
Old Jan 5, 13, 4:13 pm

Yes I've been considering this as well but the HIP rule means that if you stop over the fare must be re-priced based on the highest fare from any of your stopover points to your destination, thus precludes you from stopping over on this fare.
Old Jan 5, 13, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
In most cases, a London stopover is possible (as are several destinations in Europe), but getting stopovers outside Europe and the US is more difficult.
Old Jan 5, 13, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
In most cases, a London stopover is possible (as are several destinations in Europe), but getting stopovers outside Europe and the US is more difficult.
quite right. i stopped at FCO-LHR, but could've done CDG-LHR or AMS-LHR, among others. interesting that routing almost requires LHR stop

US: i stopped at MIA. but could hv also done at several other cities

stops I couldn't do without hitting HIP were SIN and MLE
Old Jan 6, 13, 3:13 am

Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
Any stopover in IATA region 3 (=i.e. Asia) will definitely trigger a HIP check and a substantial increase in fare.

Stopovers in IATA region 2 (=i.e. Europe) are possible in select markets for which a HIP exemption exists somewhere in the carrier's tariff (the fare itself does not waive the HIP check!).

Stopovers in IATA region 1 (=i.e. USA) are possible without a substantial increase in fare as long as the fare to the stopover point is lower than the one to the final destination.
Old Jan 6, 13, 6:31 am

Programs: SU Gold; KL Plat; BA Gold; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by rcs85551 View Post
Any stopover in IATA region 3 (=i.e. Asia) will definitely trigger a HIP check and a substantial increase in fare.

Stopovers in IATA region 2 (=i.e. Europe) are possible in select markets for which a HIP exemption exists somewhere in the carrier's tariff (the fare itself does not waive the HIP check!).

Stopovers in IATA region 1 (=i.e. USA) are possible without a substantial increase in fare as long as the fare to the stopover point is lower than the one to the final destination.
Can I please get some background around this? Like to get this knowledge as need it often.
Old Jan 6, 13, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Keter View Post
Can I please get some background around this? Like to get this knowledge as need it often.
Im not sure exactly what you mean, but these rules are just part of the "Fare Rules" that pertain to the given fare being discussed.
Old Jan 6, 13, 12:30 pm

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by DLATL777 View Post
Im not sure exactly what you mean, but these rules are just part of the "Fare Rules" that pertain to the given fare being discussed.
It's a good thing you comment on a post after reading the quoted text. Let me help you:

Originally Posted by rcs85551 View Post
Old Jan 6, 13, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Does the HIP rule also apply to layovers or just stopovers?
Old Jan 6, 13, 4:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Gberg View Post
Does the HIP rule also apply to layovers or just stopovers?
Just stopovers. You can have up to 24 hour layovers (just under 24 hours) in DXB, SIN, etc...

Every one of these tickets I have booked I have had no problem getting as long a stopover as needed in LHR, but it increased the ticket price typically by about $100.
Old Jan 7, 13, 5:47 pm

Programs: LX SEN, SQ QPPS2, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, SLH
Did anyone successfully manage to include LX longhauls between Europe and and Asia?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: