Routing Advice - UA:TPA - SFO

Old Dec 30, 12, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Routing Advice - UA:TPA - SFO

Hello Guys,
I have a quick trip coming up to SFO for the long weekend in Feb (15-19). I am based out of TPA. I was looking for the best way to maximize Routing to Yield the best CPM. I have been attempting to use Matrix but beeing the noob that I am, am not able to figure out any routing unless I shell out considerably more. Also Would I get miles for flying Partner Airlines like US? how do I book such a travel and how do i claim miles?

The Best Routing I was able to find so far was
TPA - ORD - LAX - SFO - PSP - ORD - TPA @ 7.7CPM ($474. 6170Miles)
Old Dec 30, 12, 12:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
book it using multi city....us mi are good on ua/*a....but no 500 min on us...

use orbitz/other to search....it will show both ua & us....
Old Dec 30, 12, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K - National Executive.
This isn't like da bomb, but I found the following using multicity on google.com/flights

TPA-ORD-IND-IAH-SFO-CLT-TPA for $444 (6.5cpm, 6794)

That's if you don't mind flying on a red eye on the 19th on US Air (yes you will get miles, but they do not give 500 minimums)
Old Dec 30, 12, 4:29 pm

6,005 miles, $249.20 outbound + $195.20 returning = $444.40

Feb 15 UA TPA-ORD-PSP-LAS-SFO
Feb 19 UA SFO-LAS-IAH-PBI-TPA

Actually a bit higher than 6,005 with the 500-mile minimums. Probably closer to 7K.
Old Dec 30, 12, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by AeroWesty View Post

Actually a bit higher than 6,005 with the 500-mile minimums. Probably closer to 7K.

what is the fare basis for these, especially the 15th? very interesting.
Old Dec 30, 12, 7:28 pm

Didn't even save 'em because there were so many options. I did notice everything in the results display were combos of fares, either breaking in LAS, PSP or Florida. Just used UA UA UA UA for the routing code in ITA, then I selected the cheapest option by CPM. I set these up as one-ways to give ITA better focus CPU-wise.

I'd gather that the one on the 15th was TPA-PSP + PSP-SFO.
Old Dec 31, 12, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

I am not sure I get this right, but when I put in the above routing into ITA, It gives me very high pricing.
Old Dec 31, 12, 12:40 pm

Don't put that routing in. Use "UA UA UA UA" without the quote marks in the routing code boxes to indicate that you want 4 UA segments, while using TPA as your origin and SFO as your destination. Heck, even try 5 UAs, see what it comes up with. Like I said before, these routings are combining two fares. Let ITA do the heavy lifting for you and show you what's possible.

ETA: I just re-ran TPA-SFO asking for 4 UA segments, one-way on Feb 15. The highest mileage routing it returned was TPA-CLE-PHL-IAD-SFO for $280.20, giving you 4,146 miles with the 500-mile minimums. That's combining fares of TPA-PHL + PHL-SFO.

Last edited by AeroWesty; Dec 31, 12 at 12:52 pm
Old Jan 2, 13, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the expert Advice
I booked my Travel into SFO and out of SJC (for convenience, I could just take a quick 15 min Cab to SJC from where i plan to stay rather SFO which is 40 minutes away)
Outbound: (Feb15) TPA-CLE-PHL-IAD-SFO @ $280.60
Return: (Feb19) SJC-DEN-IAD-TPA @ $195.70
Old Jan 2, 13, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Peon, Marriott, Credit Card WN Elite
Don't put that routing in. Use "UA UA UA UA" without the quote marks in the routing code boxes to indicate that you want 4 UA segments, while using TPA as your origin and SFO as your destination. Heck, even try 5 UAs, see what it comes up with. Like I said before, these routings are combining two fares. Let ITA do the heavy lifting for you and show you what's possible.

ETA: I just re-ran TPA-SFO asking for 4 UA segments, one-way on Feb 15. The highest mileage routing it returned was TPA-CLE-PHL-IAD-SFO for $280.20, giving you 4,146 miles with the 500-mile minimums. That's combining fares of TPA-PHL + PHL-SFO.
With very rare exceptions domestically, asking for more than 3 UA's will either yield a combination of 2 base fares or a direct flight which unless you split the segments, won't get the extra EQM.

My end of year 2012 mileage run was PHX-LAX-IAD-TPA-IAD-SFO-PHX. While I haven't checked, TPA-IAD-LAX-SFO may be a legal routing which I would expect to be the best you can do.
Old Jan 2, 13, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rasputin175 View Post
Outbound: (Feb15) TPA-CLE-PHL-IAD-SFO @ $280.60
Return: (Feb19) SJC-DEN-IAD-TPA @ $195.70
Excellent!

Originally Posted by fenx View Post
With very rare exceptions domestically, asking for more than 3 UA's will either yield a combination of 2 base fares or a direct flight which unless you split the segments, won't get the extra EQM.
When I want to maximize a domestic routing, I generally start with asking for 4 segments, knowing intuitively that ITA will try to combine the two lowest fares, which may be able to be extended even further, once I see where the fare break occurs. As you recognize, one may often capture three segments per base fare. Three segments per base fare doesn't always work out the best cost-wise though, since fitting in more than four segments each way can often cause an overnight stay en route, adding to the overall cost.

Coming out of Florida, it can also cause flights to be routed onto US, where the 500-mile minimum credit per flight doesn't apply.

Search this Thread