Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

80k in UA MRs past 6 weeks. Got to be one of us. Who?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

Had to clear up an unissued ticket on United.com (for my short MR Sunday afternoon, I was using same-day-change to shorten my downtime at LAX, and everything looked fine... until I went back in to check on the reservation, ok, to see where I was in the upgrade line, and it said to call because the ticket hadn't been issued).

Very friendly agent on the phone, very unfriendly computer apparently, because she couldn't fix the problem without calling someone else. Eventually it was taken care of, but not before she asked to make sure that I was on a mileage run. Huh? Never been asked that before! I'm thinking she wanted to be sure my return wasn't off by a day.

While waiting for things to get fixed, we got to talking about mileage runs, and the crazy stuff that goes on. I mentioned my SFO-Singapore last month, and she told me about a guy she took care of in early November, who'd been 1K for quite a few years but had only done 20k so far this year. She built up a series of weekend mileage runs to Singapore for him, each week, so he could be 100k again.

Now, who but someone on FT would subject themselves to every-single-weekend trips to Singapore & back?

She, like me, was also a big fan of Singapore airport in the middle of the night. ^
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
hahahaha, awesome!!! I'm not this person but I did do three weekend rund to SIN earlier this year (in June) because I had *foolishly* taken on a bet to hit 1K by mid-year.

As it turns out, I finished the year with 208K miles - too bad they don't have a 2K status on United!!!

Here's a shout-out to all of us Mileage Runners and Flyer Talkers!!! May 2013 bring us a lot of bonuses (I wish!!!) and safe travels

Peace out!

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

[snip]

...she told me about a guy she took care of in early November, who'd been 1K for quite a few years but had only done 20k so far this year. She built up a series of weekend mileage runs to Singapore for him, each week, so he could be 100k again.

Now, who but someone on FT would subject themselves to every-single-weekend trips to Singapore & back?

[/snip]
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:07 am

Nah, no one here. If it was, she would have told you the exact CPM he was calculating as she fed him flight numbers.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:10 am

One with family in SIN might go back monthly this spring, for CNY (Chinese New Year), then QM (the ancestral worship day), etc. At >25K each rt, it takes only 4 to reach 100K
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: UA1K AA-Gold/Million Miler)
Nice to know there are mr friendly agents out there.

Singapore airport is awsome to spend some time if you have to. If you can get your boarding pass issued in advance, take a tour of the city by taking advantage of the free transportation available to the city, get some food, then come back to the airport and chill out at the departure terminal which is amazing and like no other airport i've ever been too.

If there's any airport you ever have to get stranded at, changi is it.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Had to clear up an unissued ticket on United.com (for my short MR Sunday afternoon, I was using same-day-change to shorten my downtime at LAX, and everything looked fine... until I went back in to check on the reservation, ok, to see where I was in the upgrade line, and it said to call because the ticket hadn't been issued).

Very friendly agent on the phone, very unfriendly computer apparently, because she couldn't fix the problem without calling someone else. Eventually it was taken care of, but not before she asked to make sure that I was on a mileage run. Huh? Never been asked that before! I'm thinking she wanted to be sure my return wasn't off by a day.

While waiting for things to get fixed, we got to talking about mileage runs, and the crazy stuff that goes on. I mentioned my SFO-Singapore last month, and she told me about a guy she took care of in early November, who'd been 1K for quite a few years but had only done 20k so far this year. She built up a series of weekend mileage runs to Singapore for him, each week, so he could be 100k again.

She, like me, was also a big fan of Singapore airport in the middle of the night. ^
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K - National Executive.
I booked SEA-IAH-ORD-BOS-SFO-SEA for March 2 (25 hour flight time).. and I didn't get a so friendly agent. LOL.

I was calling for her to split my IAH-ORD-BOS flight.. and there was silence the entire time... it was comical.

I think she was trying to figure out wth I was doing. LOL
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:17 pm

Would be more impressive if they were all back to backs!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K - National Executive.
Originally Posted by juniorsu
Would be more impressive if they were all back to backs!
??
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by GergoryWilson
??
To OP, not you - referring to 4 SIN trips back to back
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Nice to run across a cool CSR.
I've not been to SIN. Any downside to sneaking in a a late January VR, just before the Chinese New Year -- any tips for spending maybe 2 days in SIN (have plenty of HH points).
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Originally Posted by mrjay
Nice to run across a cool CSR.
I've not been to SIN. Any downside to sneaking in a a late January VR, just before the Chinese New Year -- any tips for spending maybe 2 days in SIN (have plenty of HH points).
the Hilton doesnt win any prizes, but the Conrad is really great. back on topic, if it was a FTer they probably would have flown in jan-feb and got two years of status for the same sore butt

Last edited by giggy; Jan 1, 2013 at 11:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.